Monday, December 7, 2015

Monday Morning Food Post - Diet Cabbage Soup for the Crockpot


Got this from A Year of Slow Cooking hosted by Stephanie O'Dea, recipe here.

Diet Cabbage Soup Diet CrockPot Recipe

1 small head of cabbage
A handful of baby carrots
3 sticks of celery
1 red bell pepper
2 green onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon of your favorite seasoning blend
1/4 t red pepper flakes (optional)
4 cups vegetable broth
4 cups water

Chop all your vegetables into bite-sized pieces and put into the crockpot

Cover with liquid

Add spices

Cook on low for 8-10 hours

~~~~~~

What did we think of this soup?  In the words of Susan O'Dea who is the host of A Year of Slow Cooking, "This doesn't taste very good.  It's bland.  I've added onion soup mix or a can of tomatoes in the past, but that doesn't really help either."   There you go and I do admire her honesty.  However, it didn't put me off making the soup.

After Thanksgiving and all the wonderful food that we indulged in, I thought a low-calorie soup was just the thing we needed to get back on track.  We both love cabbage and I have made lots of cabbage soups in the past which we have enjoyed, and this is the first time I have tried this.  

One of the things that Gregg knows gets my goat just a tad, always when after we have tried something new and he might not be all that enamored, he will tease me and say, "You know what would go great with this?"  After eating this soup I was the first one to speak up.  "You know what would be great with this?" said I.  We both had a conversation about it.  Balsamic vinegar, meat (of any kind), Branston's chutney, any chutney, hot sauce, cheese, maybe mixing in the freshly made marinara sauce that I have left in the freezer, definitely a lot more salt, and the list went on.  We were not too happy with how it turned out but I didn't want to add salt.

When all's said and done this is a diet soup and meant to aid in weight loss.  It is extremely bland but to be fair, it doesn't help when I made a Thai meal the night before, where all the complex tastes and flavors had us almost swooning.  

I have loads of this soup left over. This is the first time I haven't been happy about that.  I will not give up.  I will do what I usually do, freeze it in individual portions and have a small cup when I need something hot on the table.  Not sure if Gregg will join me.  At first he said that he could see having it as a snack in the evenings if he gets hungry.  He was being kind as later when I said I will just eat a cup every now and again and I didn't expect him to join me.  He actually smiled, was it in relief?  

Even though I wasn't over the moon about this soup, the only reason I put recipes on the blog is that I have the intention of making them again one day.  I do believe part of my reaction was that I don't have the same palate I once had, especially as we now have so many other foods that are much more flavorful.  My tastes have definitely changed from the plain.  

Added note: I had this for lunch the next day - see the above photo - and sprinkled it liberally with balsamic vinegar and added a tablespoon of finely shredded Parmesan cheese.  What do you know? It tasted a whole lot better even if it looks a little unappetizing!  The Thai basil did its best to make it look more attractive.