Monday, November 23, 2015

Monday Food Post - Tilapia with Roasted Vegetable Pasta


Wanting to put more fish into our meals I found this on Pumpkin 'n Spice hosted by Gayle.  Click here for her recipe.

Tilapia with Roasted Vegetable Pasta - 2 servings

This meal can be put together quickly.  Gayle can prep it and put it on the table in 25 minutes.  It took me longer because it is the first time I have made this meal.  I went slowly as I didn't want to make any mistakes.


1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 red onion, cut into chunks
1 medium sweet potato, cut into chunks
2 teaspoons dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces rigatoni, uncooked
3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1 pack (2 servings) Bumble Bee SuperFresh® Tilapia with Garlic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil  (you can read all about it here)

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking pan with cooking spray.

Spread vegetables onto pan and season with rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Drizzle olive oil over vegetables and toss to coat.

Roast for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables begin to brown.

Remove from oven, drain vegetables and reserve juice.
Set aside.

While vegetables are cooking, boil the water for the pasta.

Cook pasta according to packaged directions. Drain and add to a large bowl.

When vegetables are done, preheat oven to and cook tilapia according to packaged directions.

Add vegetables, reserved juices, and balsamic vinegar to pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and lightly toss.

Top pasta with tilapia and serve immediately.

Enjoy!



What did we think of this meal?  Excellent, very tasty.  



I made a few changes as I didn't use the Tilapia but went with a filet of haddock, which was more than enough for the two of us.  I popped it in a 400 degree oven, after drizzling with a little olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper and a sprinkle of paprika.  After 15 minutes it was cooked perfectly.  I put the broiler on for a couple of minutes to brown it a little.

I didn't know about the Tilapia product used in this recipe, but wouldn't mind trying it next time. Tilapia is a fish I am familiar with, it is very mild but I have never bought it like this, in a box with different flavorings.  On doing a location search on their website, their product can be found at the following supermarkets nearby: Giant, Harris Teeter and Wegmans.  

To suit everyone's taste I also added a regular potato as well as the sweet potato, and also cauliflower along with the broccoli.  In fact, I'm sure you can add any of your favorites.

The veggies took longer to cook for me, even in a 500 deg. oven. As mentioned previously, oven temperatures do vary and I think ours runs on the cooler side.  I ended up cooking for 40 minutes to get to the degree of tenderness that we wanted (tastes differ), but you might want to check during the cooking process and see what you think.  

By the time it was all on the table for dinner, the fish was cooked perfectly and so were the veggies.  I really liked the addition of balsamic vinegar mixed in with the veggies, and even drizzled a little on the haddock when it was on my dinner plate.

The fish is gone but there were veggie-pasta left-overs for tomorrow, which will make a very nice lunch.  

(The next day I opened up a can of diced tomatoes and mixed those in just on a whim. They were a great addition.)

Thank you Gayle at Pumpkin 'n Spice for another delicious meal in my make-again folder.