Monday, November 9, 2015

Monday Food Post - Easy Asian Noodles


Easy Asian Noodles  -  Serves 3 to 4

Another delicious meal on the table this evening, thanks to the hosts of 'Show Me The Yummy", Trevor and Jennifer.  You can read through the original recipe and see all their photos of this meal here.

For the sauce:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon sriracha
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Red pepper flakes, to taste (they put in 1/2 teaspoon in their recipe)
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

Other ingredients:

1 (12 oz) box whole wheat linguine
3-4 eggs, over easy
Chopped cilantro (optional - for garnishing)
Chopped salted cashews (for garnishing)

To make the sauce, whisk together sauce ingredients until well combined.

Cook the linguine according to package directions and drain.

Cook the eggs*

In the large pot you cooked your pasta in, pour pasta back in with the sauce.

Put pasta on your plates and top with the fried egg, chopped cilantro and salted cashews.

Serve immediately.




Notes from original recipe:

*If you're not sure how to make an over easy egg, heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat.  Melt about 1 tablespoon to 2 tablespoons butter.  Once butter has melted and starts to bubble (just a bit) crack in egg (I work with 1 - 2 eggs at a time).  Cook for about 2 minutes, flip and cook for another 2 minutes.  Cooking time will vary depending on how runny you like your yolks. Season with a touch of salt.



What did we think?  Every dish that I put on here is a keeper, and this one joins that list.  It was delicious.  

I did make a few changes though.  For a start my egg was poached. I just prefer it cooked this way.  It's what I grew up with.

I didn't buy any linguine as I already had Chinese Noodles in the pantry.  However, when I came to find those noodles I couldn't put my hands on them.  There are days when I do such a good job of cleaning up I clean things into oblivion.  I swear, when I have an unorganized pantry I know where everything is.  What I did find was a box of Angel Hair Pasta which saved the day.  I'll probably find those Chinese Noodles when I am getting ready to make a marinara sauce again.  

You'll see in my photo that there are a lot more extras added than the original.  In Trevor and Jennifer's recipe, it doesn't have any as such, and that's why it is so easy.  Great!  At least I know I can put something yummy on the table if I am short on time or low in the veggie department.  However, I had veggies in the fridge that I wanted to use up and first we cooked the thinly sliced cabbage, sliced green onions, sliced celery, peas and Gregg threw in a can of sliced lotus shoots for good measure.  We both loved the crunchiness of the vegetables.  After eating our dinner we declared it a winner. 

I forgot about the cashews and the cilantro, that will be for next time.

And thank you Trevor and Jennifer for another wonderful meal added to our repertoire.