Tuesday, November 24, 2015

I treated myself to a movie.


I have been fighting a cold and the other day I didn't feel like doing much, other than fix myself a cup of hot water mixed with lemon juice and honey, a little grated ginger.  My go to comfort drink at such times. So, curled up on the sofa with a blanket snuggly wrapped around me, I turned the TV on and searched for a movie.  I found a good one.

I watched Mr. Holmes with Ian McKellan.  It isn't like your usual Sherlock Holmes movie.  I love nothing more than to watch the old black and white movies with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.  Subsequent actors who have played the role since have caught my attention.

This movie was very different and very enjoyable, poignant at times.  Mr. McKellan's acting is always brilliant, as in this role of the aging 93 year old Sherlock Holmes.  Every character he plays is someone you believe in.  You identify with him and you want him to find happiness, especially in this role. He always seem to find the humanity in the characters he portrays.    

The actress who plays the housekeeper, Mrs. Munro, is American actress Laura Linney.  Her English accent was excellent and you also believed that she was Mrs. Munro, Holmes' often perplexed and overwrought housekeeper and mother of Roger, who was a darling little actor.

This young boy who played her son, Milo Parker, for someone so young his acting skills seem fine honed, very natural.  His interaction with Holmes and his mother was superb.  There was no affectation whatsover.  You believed he was the intelligent little boy who followed Holmes around, soaking up everything he said like a sponge.

The Director, Bill Condon, did a wonderful job as there was nothing in this movie that gave me pause.  It held my interest from beginning to end.  I also loved its setting, an old stone house in the English countryside.

One particular scene between the little boy and his mother I found poignant, and I thought I would use as a quote today.  I am not sure if I have it word for word, maybe yes, maybe no, but this is what I took from it. The words spoken between mother and child.

“I shouldn’t have said what I said” said the boy.
“Lesson there then, shouldn’t say everything
we think” the mother said.

Wonderful words and a life-lesson moment between mother and child.  A lesson for all of us I think. Be honest if we must but with kindness not with spite, and know when words should be left unsaid.

Definitely a movie I could see again and I don't say that often.