Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A poem

This photo is from a road trip we took back in 2013.  If you link to this page it will show you what we were doing at the time. It is fun for me to look back to see a previous post from a few years ago.  I forget sometimes that I have had this blog since 2008.


A Little Further
by
Berton Braley

The reason I never can quit the road
Is a reason that's plain and clear.
It's because no matter where I may stop
And whether it's far or near

There's a place beyond the place I am
Wherever I may be at,
And then beyond is a place beyond
And the world beyond all that!

And as long as a man has eyes to see
And a brain that wants to know,
I figure there's things he's bound to miss
If he doesn't go on and go;

For there's always a place beyond the place
I happen to hang my hat,
And another place beyond that place
And the world beyond all that.

There's some folks stay in a single spot
Or a town of which they're fond,
And never worry a little bit
At the thought of a place beyond;

But the place beyond the place beyond
Won't never let me rest,
For there's a sort of a kind of urge
That's burning within my breast.

To go and go till the end of life,
And when I've left it flat,
Go on beyond the place beyond;
And the universe after that.

19 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful poem, Denise. I needed this today. Thank you so much. Your posts are like a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging since 2008? Awesome. That is some serious blogging stamina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely poem. yes ehre is always something/where behond. Loved seeing the derr wanderingall over the road in the linked post and the Bison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are itching to get on the road again. We go back a long way in blogtime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that, Denise. I never had the wanderlust but often wished I had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uma estrada para o infinito.
    Bela fotografia.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Denise, I love the poem and the photo is perfect. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes those old posts are good and sometimes not. Some I want to bury.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Braley has an interesting thought in his poem. It' curiosity about our world..

    ReplyDelete
  10. An appropriate poem, and what a view!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful poem! It goes so well with the photo. I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your comment on my Friday Five two weeks ago (I'm behind as usual! :-) ) Glad you are also doing genealogy. I have been blogging also since 2008! And that is a photo of my little charge and myself when I was a nanny those six months, on his christening day. I didn't look that good when the grandson came along! :-)Not that I look THAT good, but I did look BETTER then! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The road is made of a ruler, if it was a direct
    said my mother once did. And this road is really straight.
    Really lovely photo, but the poem went past me (my english... !)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful poem and so clever, too.
    I love the play on words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know how much this poem and picture appeal to me! Some of us are just born with itching feet and an urge to get on the road! (And right now, my toes are cold so my feet really are wishing they were on the road to Florida. ;>) (wishing I could be in two places at once actually -- not quite ready to leave family and our new apartment, but (did I mention cold?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really don't need my wanderlust to be ignited right now, should not have read that poem. That pic reminds me of the Irish proverb - It's a long road with no turns.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Denise! You sure have chosen a wonderful poem to post! I just totally love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Denise
    I am so pleased I clicked the link and read your 2013 post ... but blogging since 2008, the years go by so quickly.

    I do like this poem, thanks for another lovely read and photo.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poem and picture very perfect, perfect.

    ReplyDelete