Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Fun with the Greylag Goose


This Fall when you see geese heading south for the winter, flying in a 'V' formation, you might consider what science has discovered as to why they fly that way.  As each bird flaps its wings it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following.  By flying in a 'V' formation, the whole flock adds at least 71 percent greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.  When the head goose gets tired, it rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.  Nature, plus instinct, it truly is amazing.


I took a photo last June and as it wasn't that sharp I decided to play a little on Paint Shop Pro.  I cropped it and tried a couple of artistic effects, plus a frame.  I also made a 'tube' (got rid of the background in the original photo, which left me with the goose alone) and added it onto my present header, as well as the top frame in this post.


This is the original photo.