Thursday, October 8, 2015

AND THE ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION IS POCAHONTAS

Her given name was Matoaka, born c 1595.



Thank you for answering and many of you guessed correctly.  According to what I read, the above likeness is the only 17th century depiction of Pocahontas, engraved in 1616 when she was in London. Pocahontas adopted the English lifestyle when she was baptized and married to John Rolfe in 1614, and became Rebecca Rolfe.



As mentioned above, in April 1614 she married tobacco planter John Rolfe, and in January 1615 gave birth to their son, Thomas.  In 1616 they traveled to London where Pocahontas was presented to English society. In March 1617 she boarded a ship to return to Virginia. The ship only sailed as far as Gravesend on the river Thames, when Pocahontas became gravely ill.  She was taken ashore and died in her husband's arms at the approximate age of twenty-two.  There is a statue of Pocahontas in St. George's Church, Gravesend, Kent, England.  The one I show here is in Jamestown.


She had a short but fascinating life and you can read more about this interesting young lady if you click here.  Many of us know and may have seen the Disney movie of Pocahontas.  Their version was very different to her true story. 



There were also plenty of fences to share for Theresa's meme.














I will be sharing more of our visit to Jamestown in a later post.

~~~~~~


Added note: I am very grateful to Dianne who hosts Schmidleysscribbling.  You can visit Dianne's blog here.  She very kindly sent me a link to a post she wrote about The Warren House. Thanks Dianne, this house will now be one of the places to visit next time we are in the area.  Dianne's comments:

My daughter's ancestors on her Dad's side built the 'Warren House' (oldest house in VA) in the Tidewater area of VA.  I think Rolf and Pocahontas lived in the house, or on the land at one time.  Did you know Pocahontas had several descendants via her son?  Included are the late Senator Byrd of WVA and Wayne Newton, Las Vegas performer."

Here is the link to a post I wrote about the Rolfe-Warren house.
http://schmidleysscribblins.com/2012/08/09/uncovering-the-past/



Another added note 10-9-15:  More interesting information from Marie at Color My World which you can find here.  Marie's comment:

Oh how lovely to see this post Denise!  I am so familiar with all of this because we lived in the area.  I worked in historic houses, and plus I just love to do research on our history.  I have visited the Rolfe-Warren house and found it fascinating.  I know it is extremely old, but I also know that Bacon's Castle is the oldest brick home in English N. America.  And I don't think John Rolfe and Pocahontas ever lived there, but in a less permanent home on that land that was later (after her death) replaced by the brick house, and it was on land given to her by her father, Powhatan.  My husband's ancestor, Landon Carter, was related to Pocahontas by marriage.  I used to immerse myself in all of this history, and loved being able to visit all the sites.  I was thrilled to see your post!  And yes, the true story of Pocahontas and John Smith is not as Smith wrote...he was quite the embelisher! :-)  I wouldn't go see the Disney Pocahontas...the whole thing just disgusted me!  There was an awesome movie that came out a few years ago that was excellent, I think called New World.

Thanks Marie, that puts a little more light on things and I appreciated your comment very much.  I really must visit that area more and it's on our list.  Also I will look for New World.  

~~~~~~

Click on Good Fences to look at other blogging friends' photos around the world.  Thank you for hosting such a fun meme Theresa.