Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Eden Project in Cornwall - part 1

Thanks for coming back to see this post.  A few of you guessed what this place was from my teaser photo yesterday.


And you will see by the title above that this is The Eden Project in Cornwall, England.  You can read all about it here.  Niece, nephew and yours truly after we had gotten off the bus which brought us to the entrance from where we parked the car.


It opened its doors March 17th, 2001.  By June over a million people had visited.  


I wasn't sure we would get to this place but my niece and nephew made a special effort to get us here, and we all enjoyed a wonderful day seeing so many interesting sights.

If you can't access my short video below you can see it here.


 This is my sweet niece at the beginning of our walk next to where the shops and where we purchased our tickets.  The tickets were about $40 (£25) as of June 2015.  I read somewhere that this allows you to make more visits throughout the year, but you'd better check on that at their website, it being second hand information and not something we remembered when we bought our tickets.


It is located 1-1/2 miles from the town of St. Blazey and 3 miles from St. Austel, Cornwall.


There were several things to catch your eye as you entered Eden....


like the boat and this rather wonderful sculpture of two horses.









A sculpture showing the layout of Eden.


and information on....


Amazing structures, these domes consist of hundreds of hexagonal and pentagonal, inflated, plastic cells supported by steel frames.  The first dome is like walking into a tropical rainforest.  This is the one where I spent most of my time.


Thousands of plants and trees have been collected from around the world, some very rare and exotic.




I will leave you with one last shot of us in the tropical rainforest.  I'll have part 2 showing the inside next time.




30 comments:

  1. Fascinating place. I would love to visit it someday. Great images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the images. People who are not able to visit the place can enjoy by seeing the pictures you have posted.It is a wonderful place with many new things which catch hold of our eyes and make us to take a pic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, what a great post and your photos are lovely. I would so enjoy seeing this place myself one day! I am going to check out the video now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about as wrong as I could be.
    What a fascinating idea and place.
    Thank you so much for featuring it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that was a real teaser Denise! :)
    Can't wait for part 2 now, I'm
    extremely curious :))
    Wonderful pictures and video so far :)
    Love that driftwood sculpture.

    Have a beautiful day
    Möwe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought that was where you went when I saw the photo yesterday. My wife has been wanting to go for years, the two dogs hold us back. A lot of places will let you visit more times after getting a ticket. Maybe they feel you will not but if you do its more money you spend in the place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing, they remind me of giant golf balls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes as Stephanie says, FASCINATING. I have never been so perhaps I should make a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got some good pictures of that remarkable place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I had no idea! Looks like an incredible place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is amazing how they have made such a wonderful garden out of a clay pitt. There is hope for the planet yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Denise, what an interesting place. It is amazing seeing what was there before Eden was built, the change is definitely positive. I love the gardens and sculptures. Beautiful flowers! And the boat is cool. Thanks for sharing your visit. Have a happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how fascinating! it's beautiful! I'm going to go read more about it. I'm looking forward to meeting my family that live in England. Hopefully they will come for a visit soon. My aunt, here in NC, keeps in touch with them.
    love your header! and your flower pics, gorgeous!!
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great question at the end. This is one fabulous place, and I thank you for sharing it with us! Almost as good as being there too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Denise, thanks for taking us along on your visit. The pictures are great and what a wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would enjoy visiting that place. The fact that it was built in what was once a clay pit reminds me of a garden paradise in Victoria, BC, created out of what was a quarry a century ago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's just beautiful and so unusual. i would love to visit one day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. those domes are amazing. what a beautiful place to visit. i love the boots and the boat with plants and the flowers OH MY... I know you were glad you went..

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a big treat for you. I got one thing right but was a way out on the rest as this is the first time I've heard of the Eden project.

    ReplyDelete
  20. those bubble domes are really cool looking

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have two places that are on the must do visits
    1) Eden Project
    2) The Lost Gardens of Heligan

    Reading your post and seeing your photo's has made me more determined to visit.

    Thank you so much for sharing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice photos. David says he will accompany me through Foster Garden when he can walk long distances again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, Denise, if you want to show more pics from here, I will gladly look at them! Love those horses...love the flowers. and that boat is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful thing to learn about. I knew nothing about this and am off to visit the links, but didn't want to forget to comment. Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting sights. What a fun project. I'm sure it's taken a lot of work to reclaim the land.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This project has been quite successful! It's wonderful that they have included rare plants so that at least a few will continue to survive what's happening in their original environments.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great project!
    But it is also frightening how artificial rainforest is made after the natural rainforest is increasingly destroyed -
    I'm looking forward to see more flowers.
    Have a nice time

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh what a treat for you and now us!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing the back link on the driftwood art! Small world, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete