Monday, August 24, 2015

Monday Morning Food Post - Wild Rice Salad with Cranberries, Apricots and Avocado


I had dried cranberries left after making my other salad, and I had also wanted to make this salad for a while now. It is gluten-free and vegan friendly, can be served at special holiday meals or any time. You can find the original here at "Healthy Seasonal Recipes" and its host is Katie.  Thank you Katie for a delicious recipe.

Wild Rice Salad with Cranberries, Apricots and Avocado

Makes: 10 cups
Serving Size: 1 cup

2 cups wild rice
3 tangerines, divided
1 avocado, cut in half and pit removed
1 small shallot, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons agave or honey
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped parsley
1 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots

Place rice in a large saucepan.  Cover generously with water.  Bring to a simmer over high heat.  Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer, and cook until the rice is just tender but not mushy, 45 to 50 minutes.

Zest and juice one tangerine.  Segment the remaining two tangerines and set aside.  Add the zest and juice to a blender.  Scoop 1/4 avocado into the blender.  Add shallot, oil, vinegar, mustard, agave or honey and salt.  Puree until smooth. Pour into a large bowl.

Stir the hot rice into the dressing and let cool to room temperature, 35 to 42 minutes.

Stir in parsley, pecans, cranberries, apricots and the reserved tangerine segments.  Dice the remaining avocado and gently stir into the salad.



What did I think of this recipe?  It's a winner!  So many wonderful flavors to enjoy.  I did make a few changes.  My local supermarket didn't have any tangerines so I used small regular oranges.

They also did not have wild rice and instead I bought two boxes of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Mix but didn't use their seasoning packets. I know a place I should have gone to get just the wild rice, but I was running short on time that day. However, this version was very good.  

I misread the ingredient section and didn't chop the apricots and pecans but that didn't detract from the salad, though I will chop next time.

Toasting the pecans made them have a smoky roasted flavor which was yummy.  My other salad recipe didn't call for this step but I loved doing it this way.  

I think that was about it as far as the changes I had made.  I am looking forward to trying it again but with only wild rice next time.

No nutritional values were given but this seems like a very healthy salad.  I have enough left for more meals.

28 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Yum, yum, yum.
I will bookmark this one, and make it when the weather is more conducive to salad.
Thank you.

llandudnopictures said...

It does contain a whole range of tasty ingredients!

Margaret Adamson said...

Now this looks like an intresting salad. I am always looking for different salads.

Small Kucing said...

The recipe sure looks delicious. But i might change the avocado to something else as am not really a fan of avocado

That's the great thing about salad
We can choose what we love.

Möwe von der Insel said...

That looks very delicious, Denise :)
I'll give that one a try :)

Have a beautiful week!
Möwe

Valerie said...

This is a definite for me, Denise. It looks and sounds delicious. I was never sure about Uncle Ben's products, but it sounds as if they're okay.

Donna said...

This looks and sounds delicious...I love these ingredients and must try it!

Sandra said...

looks so yummy... and pretty to look at to, would look great on a holiday table

Sandra Cox said...

Oh my gosh. This looks wonderful. I'm a vegetarian so it really appeals:)
Thanks for stopping by.
Looking forward to more great blog posts.

EG CameraGirl said...

Sounds and looks very good!

Robert Bennett said...

Definitely looks tasty but it would literally kill me to eat this. I'm allergic to avocado. :/

eileeninmd said...

Denise, this looks and sounds delicious. I will be trying it soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Sonya Ann said...

Now I'm hungry!!!! I try but I'm just not a good cook. My poor, poor husband.

Linda Kay said...

Yum, is it lunch time yet? Making me hungry.

gigihawaii said...

Interesting recipe. I've never tried wild rice and wonder how different it is from regular brown rice, which I tend to use.

Karen S. said...

This is my kind of recipe, very yummy!

Penelope Puddlisms said...

What a great shot, I can almost taste it. Oh, wow … a winner, indeed! This looks like a recipe that would never tire the palate.

Ela said...

Yummmm !!!! It looks so tasty !!!
Greetings

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It does sound good and I like that you found a yummy way to use the rest of the cranberries . I hate having leftover ingredients that I don't know how to use after I buy them for a new recipe.

Rose said...

I'd love to taste of this to see what I think...the mix sounds interesting. I am betting refreshing.

William Kendall said...

I'd give it a go. I don't recall if I've ever eaten avocado.

Lowcarb team member said...

Looks very tasty Denise.

... I love avocado!

All the best Jan

Gail Dixon said...

Anything with dried cranberries is a winner in my book! Thank you, thank you. I will copy this over to my Evernote Recipe file. Looks divine!

Stephanie said...

Looks so yummy!

diane b said...

Sounds different and delicious. It looks great too. Unfortunately the other person in this house wouldn't try something like that.....

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

This looks like something hubby could eat. He can't have eggs, yeast, dairy...
Except he likes his rice plain. sigh... :-)

Ranita Sinha said...

Looks yummy and very easy to prepare also..will be in my to-do list..

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Wonderful recipe. Great combo of fruits and veggie.Roughage Too! How good can it get!