Monday, August 3, 2015

Monday Food post is back - Cheesy Black Bean-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Arugular and Poached Eggs

 

Sweet potatoes are a particular favorite of mine and the fact that they are such a nutritional vegetable is a wonderful benefit.  They are high in vitamin A, vitamin B5, B6, thiamin, niacin, riboglavin and thanks to their orange color, are high in carotenoids.  Plus they are fat-free, relatively low in sodium and have fewer calories than white potatoes, although they do have more sugar.  It is also an antioxidant powerhouse and is linked to anti-aging benefits, cancer prevention and the maintenance of good eyesight according to the National Institute of Health.  There is a lot more information at this site.

Added with all the other goodies in the ingredient list, this is one of those meals that I feel good about eating, as well as the fact that I find it very yummy, so if this seems like it could be for you, enjoy.

Cheesy Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Arugular and Poached Eggs

I got this recipe here.

Serves 4.

Total time: 1-1/2 hours.

4 medium sweet potatoes
1 cup black beans
4 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
2 cups fresh arugular
1 teaspoon olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
4 eggs, cooked to your own taste.
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  

Poke sweet potatoes with a fork and then place on a baking sheet. 

Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F. and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more.  Remove and let cool slightly, at least 5 minutes.  

Carefully slice down the center of the potato, pushing the skin open.  Stuff each potato with an ounce of fontina. You can pop the potato back in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.

Season arugular with olive oil and lemon juice, then add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  Add it on top of the black beans, then add your cooked eggs on top of the arugular.  

You can cook the eggs when the sweet potatoes have a few minutes left so that they are ready to put on top and ready to serve.


What did I think?  A dish I will be making again, it was very tasty. As I made this for myself it was easy enough to cut the ingredients down for one person; 1 sweet potato, 1 oz. cheese, a handful of arugular, a smidgen of olive oil and lemon juice and one egg.  

You can see from my photo that there is no egg on top.  My stove top decided to flame out and quit working.  We will be going shopping for a new when time permits.  I baked an egg in the oven in a small ramekin when I tried this a few days ago.  It came out perfectly cooked using olive oil after a few minutes. The next time I used cooking spray and it was all rubbery.  I don't know what I did wrong but it wasn't a pretty sight, and it could probably have been used to replace a bouncy ball.  I have since done them in the microwave and that works out well so until I can get the stove top replaced, that will be my method of choice.

I had no fontina but did have some Wisconsin Cheddar in the fridge. 

The same for arugula but I had spring greens that I wanted to use up today. 

27 comments:

Lux G. said...

Oh gosh this post is torturing me. I'm craving badly! :P

llandudnopictures said...

Glad you enjoyed it, it does sound and look tasty!

Valerie said...

Never heard of arugula (must Google it) and have never tried sweet potatoes. Seems to me I'm a bit dull when it comes to cooking. Your dish looks very appetising though.

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks very good to me. And I am very fond of sweet potatoes and yams.

Rose said...

It sure does look tempting...hubby loves sweet potatoes. I can eat them...not my favorite of course.

Mystica said...

Arugula is only a name for me as well. We just were introduced to rocket! Sweet potatoes in my part of the world are like potatoes just white. This deep orange color is new to me.

gigihawaii said...

Great! It looks delicious and nutritious.

Debbie said...

That sounds and looks so good!! I am a huge fan of sweet potatoes!!!

Linda Kay said...

Just enjoyed some sweet potatoes (or yams) for dinner last night with a pork chop, just sprinkled on a little cinnamon. Yummy.

ladyfi said...

Mmm - sounds delicious!

Stephanie said...

Looks good.

Möwe von der Insel said...

Can't wait to see your next food
post Denise!
I don't like sweet potatoes and
I really hate beans except for
green beans :))
So glad at least you like it! :))

Have a wonderful day!
Möwe

Hannah said...

I'm trying to imagine the tastes of these different foods together, but can't, so I'll have to try to make this soon. It looks like a very healthy meal. I eat poached eggs with vegetable soup all the time so could use the ingredients in soup instead of roasting the sweet potato. I happened on a great buy on an Aroma induction cooktop on Black Friday, and now they are not as cheap but it is a great one-burner cooktop but requires magnetic bottoms in the pots, or else a metal disk to cook on. I have mostly cooked rice and grains on it, it does a fantastic job and doesn't burn the bottom like my electric stove was doing. It would make a great substitute, the heat comes on and stops instantly and has a timer.

Penelope Puddlisms said...

That does look healthy. Sweet potatoes are one of my favourites. And what could be better than a vegetable that is anti-aging. It takes a special talent to photograph food. You have the knack of making it look easy and delicious!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

We love sweet potatoes baked. Not sure about the black beans, but the fontina cheese sounds like a great addition. I'm glad your food posts are back...I really enjoy them. Reminds me of swapping recipe talk with a good neighbor!

Gail Dixon said...

What an interesting dish! And rather healthy, too. Thank you for sharing this. I hope you get your new cook top soon.

Karen S. said...

Sounds as delicious as it looks, and so ready to try it now! I'm a big fan of sweet potatoes and they are even better for us than just plain potatoes!

Elephant's Child said...

Mmmm. Sweet potatoes. I never met one I didn't like. Like pumpkin.

GreenComotion said...

Sounds delicious and healthy!
Thanks for making me hungry, Denise :)
Have a Great Week!
Peace :)

Linda said...

It looks delicious, Denise, and such lovely presentations, too!

Red said...

I love sweet potatoes so I'll have to try something different with them.

Kay said...

This is so pretty too! Ever since I became pre-diabetic I was told that sweet potatoes is healthier for me. This dish looks really delicious.

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Looks delicious! trying it tomorrow. I thought the cheese looked familiar. Wisconsin chedder is the best!

William Kendall said...

I had to look up what arugula is too!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lots of my favorite foods in this recipe, Denise. Too bad about the oven failing but a reason to go shopping now.

Lowcarb team member said...

Looks a good dish Denise ... hope you get your stove top replaced soon.

All the best Jan

diane b said...

This looks like healthy meal. Thanks for the idea.