Friday, July 31, 2015

MORE FROM THE VIRGINIA AQUARIUM AND MARINE SCIENCE CENTER


These were taken at the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center last week.   There are also a couple of short videos at the end of the post. 

I believe this is the Longnose Gar.  At least I found something similar here.  What do you think?



I tried to identify all that I saw but was not successful with every one.





The fish below on the right center of my photo is called a Unicorn fish, the Whitemargin I think comparing it with photos online.  



The little fish below put on quite a show for me.  In the end I didn't know who was looking at whom.  He swam up next to me and stared, 'hovering ' as if standing upright on his 'toes', and then did what I can only describe as several pirouettes that would have done a ballerina proud.  He continued this until I moved away.  Fascinating little thing and a little fish I thoroughly enjoyed.  I found out he is called a Striped Burrfish (Chilomycterus schoepfii).  I found the following online where you can read more about him here.


Striped Burrfish are brown or olive with yellow bellies and powerful jaws.  They have bulging yellow eyes with iridescent blue-green pupils.  They have brown or lack parallel stripes and black spots.  Stripped Burrfish get their name from the short, immovale spines which cover their sperical bodies.  


They can inflate their bodies when threatened.  They can grow up to 12 inches in length.  They eat oysters, barnacles and small crabs.  Striped Burrfish live in the ocean and in bays, cool to hot waters and usually among seagrass.


The day we visited the aquarium, they had released several sea turtles in Virginia Beach.  My niece and her daughter were there and when I showed my great-niece these videos, she excitedly told me about seeing the sea turtles returning home.  There is a photo of that release here.  You can watch a news video here, and the aquariums program for the protection and rehabilitation of these wonderful marine animals can be read at this link.

If you can't see my video below you can go here.




Also this video, if ever it won't load up can be seen here.

A young girl was taking photos with her flash which is not allowed as it frightens the marine life.  I wanted to tell her about that and also that her photos would not be very good using the flash because of the glare reflected from the glass, but as her mother was there I didn't do this, hoping she would correct her daughter.  That didn't happen.  Perhaps I should have said something but did not want to shame or embarrass her in any way.  I hoped that one of the aquarium staff would eventually see her and step in.


I am sharing with the following memes.  Thank you to all our hosts for making them a very enjoyable part of blogging. You can see other participants by visiting their links below.

Eileen at Saturday Critters
Misty at Camera Critters 
Michelle at Nature Notes