Wednesday, July 15, 2015

English Vacation Journal - Part 9 - London

I can't really remember what the day was when we caught our train up to London.  Our niece and nephew dropped us off at the train station that morning and were driving back to Germany that morning also.  It would be a longer journey than ours.  Tears were shed, it was inevitable, from us girls that is, the boys were more stoic being boys.  We both missed them very much. They gave us an incredible holiday.  We did so many things it is hard to keep it all in my head, and those two weeks went way too fast.  Thankfully we have our photos so that we can remember all those great memories that we made.  Thank you My Darlings, we love you and are so proud of you both.  Can't wait until the next time we get together.



9.06 p.m. and we are safely tucked up in bed at our hotel.  We are on the fifth floor and have a pretty good view of the street below.  



Our taxi cab driver at Paddington Station told us it had been Trooping of the Color today but we had missed it.  London, he said, was going to be more crowded than normal.  He also said there was going to be a naked bicycle race but we had probably missed that too.  What?  I thought he was joking but no, there actually was going to be such a race, and as I learned later there have been others around the world for some worthy cause or another.  This one was to bring atttention to how dangerous bicycle riding in London could be, and were trying to bring awareness for vehicles to be more careful when driving on the road.  There had been several fatalities. But a naked bicycle race?  I didn't quite believe it.



Our taxi cab driver was very interesting to listen to and we enjoyed our ride.  When a man on a moped weaved in front of us it startled me.  He said "He's one of our blokes learning the knowledge.  You can tell because he has his map between his handlebars.  I have written about 'the knowledge' before on our trip to London last year.  It's an arduous test that every cab driver has to do before they can become a London Cabby.  



Later when we were in our hotel room Gregg heard a lot of noise outside and when we looked down onto the street there they were, naked bicycle riders, about 500 of them.  Not everyone was in the altogether but most of them were.  It was eye boggling even from the 5th floor. What can I say?  Good job I need a stronger prescription for my eye glasses.   I took a few pictures and even a video but I think Blogger might object, and even from five floors up I don't think they would appreciate naked people on my blog, so no pictures!  Well, it was an interesting first day in London.  



We were tired and ready to get an early night, having gone down to the hotel's restaurant for dinner.  We intended for an early start in the morning.



I chatted with my niece via texts.  Originally they were going to stay the night in Calais, but decided to press on and finally arrived home in the wee hours of the morning. 



In case you have missed any of my vacation posts and would like to take a look, I will be adding a link to the previous ones below.

Part 1 here.
Part 2 here.
Part 3 here.
Part 4 here.
Part 5 here.
Part 6 here.
Part 6 continued here.
Part 7 here.
Part 8 here.
Part 9 here.

All photos in this post were taken around London.

(To all the hosts of the memes I enjoy participating in, I will be posting my journal for a while but will be back joining in once these are over.)