Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Vigeland Museum in Oslo, Norway

I am on vacation and might not get to moderating your comments, so please don't think your comments are disappearing. I just haven't had time to publish them, and I am also having a hard time getting on line.  I do here and there but there is not enough time to do much.  I will eventually get back to you but it will probably be on my return in three weeks time. 



I have been sharing photos from our trip to Norway last summer. When talking about the Vigeland Sculpture Park in this previous post, I mentioned that the original castings of the sculptures were in the museum across the road.  


If you go to this link you will be taken to their website.  There is also an interesting video you can watch that will show you a lot more than I have.  The sculptures are full of symbolism and if you navigate the website they will be explained.  I understood more of what I was seeing after I read about them.  



It was fascinating to me to see the castings of many of the sculptures I had seen in the park across the road.


You can pick up a list of information as you enter each exhibit.







The following shows one of my favorite characters in American history, Theodore Roosevelt.  I was surprised but delighted to see him in this collection.  There was also one of Abraham Lincoln in the park, which I did not see in the museum.  He must have been there and though we looked at many exhibits that day, I am sure we missed a few.






These are castings of the Monolith which I shared before.  You can read its history here.



















These castings of the fountain and its history can be found here.















































I was fascinated by the shadow that the Angel cast on the wall behind it.






The description is below.


 The is the main gate at the park, which I shared in this post.



And this is another gate that never made it outside.







A very photo heavy post today but there was so much to share and I didn't want to miss any of it, though there is still much more.  I feel very fortunate that we had the opportunity to visit this amazing collection.

18 comments:

Linda said...

Absolutely amazing, Denise!

Margaret Adamson said...

WOW Well that is an amzzing place with fantastic sculptures and now I will go and find out more from the links you prvided for us. Many thanks.

Kay said...

Wow! What an amazing museum. The sculptures are so very different and incredible to see.

llandudnopictures said...

That's a very solid looking building with lots of interesting pieces inside, thanks for the tour!

Valerie said...

Some amazing sculptures there, Denise. Thanks for sharing.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Denise, amazing collection of statues and sculptures. It is amazing place to visit. Thanks for sharing your trip! Have a happy day and week ahead!

Mimsie said...

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful collection. Thank you for sharing so many interesting items with us.

Sandra said...

so much amazing art in one spot and all different types. i like the children in the tree and love the metal dragons. so much talent to create all this beauty

Linda Kay said...

Very unusual museum with many strange casting of the human body. Somebody may have been obsessed with the human form. Hope you are having a grand time.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks so much...more photos of these lovely art pieces please me a lot! I was amazed at how different the portrait busts look of each person, when you consider how early photos made just about every man look about the same.

William Kendall said...

Some stern looking faces early on, but fascinating as you go through these pics. What a place!

Adam said...

cool collection of art

Stephanie said...

Wow, such amazing sculptures. Very well done and beautiful.

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

The gate I like, the 'can of worms' compositions less so. They look like scenes from hell and makes me wonder if some of them are war related?

Chandra Eswaran said...

What a phenomenal place, Denise! Your photos are so crisp and that combined with your narration, paints a really good picture of this museum and the exhibits. This place would be a definite delight for us to go see. Thanks for giving us a preview!
Have a Beautiful Day!!
Peace :)

The History Anorak said...

I love the dragons (wyverns?) by the door.

Marie C said...

The pieces are fascinating, but some are really strange! I love your shadow picture on the wall, and the iron gate made of figures. The busts were incredible! Just a really amazing place to visit, I am sure!

Linda Gross said...

Wow! What an interesting museum. I have visited Vigeland Park but not this museum.