Saturday, May 23, 2015

TODAY'S FLOWERS

You can find all kinds of beautiful flowers from around the world if you click here.  Our new link opens on Saturday at 12.00 a.m. (East Coast Standard Time USA) and closes the following Thursday at 11.30 p.m.

I have tried to identify all of them and have shown the ID below each photo.  If you disagree on any please let me know.  There is only one I could not get so maybe you can help me.  You'll see it when you scroll down.


Star of Bethlehem - Ornithogalum umbellatum.  
It grows in clumps with hollow, dark-green leaves.  Easily confused with wild garlic, but lacks distinctive oder. It blooms in April to mid June.


Golden Ragwort - Packera aurea - Aster family (Asteraceae)
This is a perennial wildflower and blooms from mid to late spring and lasts for about three weeks.  


The Northern Dewberry, Common Dewberry - Rubus flagellaris 
It is part of the rose family and its most active growth is from mid-spring to early summer.


Buttercup - Ranunculus species
Most bloom spring through to Fall, with some lasting until frost.



I need help with this one (photo above).  The closest I came to was a Foam Flower but am still a tad confused as to its ID.  I will keep looking.
Added note 5-25-15 - thanks to Stephanie who does Worldless (on Tuesday) at Image-in-ing, she thinks this may be be a flower from the Hdrophyllum family.  Thanks to her information I found what I think may be this flower here.  The bloom and the leaves look very similar.  Also Hannah of Weeding on the Wildside took a photo of the same flower and will be sharing it on her blog on Wednesday.  Hannah also mentions a link here with more information.  Thank you for the ID ladies and another reason I enjoy blogging so much, the learning from others who are very willing to help you out.  


Sweet White Violet - Viola blanda 
It has fragrant white flowers and blooms from April until the end of summer.  Prefers damp woods and moist meadows.


Daisy Fleabane - Erigeron annuus
Blooms in May up until frost.  

~~~~~~

Luiz Santilli Jr. created Today's Flowers.  He occasionally pops in to say hello, so "Hello Luiz" and thank you.



To see many other beautiful flowers from around the world, you can go to our Today's Flowers' home page found here.

~~~~~~





I am linking with the following memes, with my thanks to our hosts for bringing us such wonderful memes.

Laura's iHeartMacro here.  
Judith's Mosaic Monday here.
Stephanie's Macro Monday Mixer here.
Andrzej's Small Monday here
Gail's Wildflower Wednesday here.




45 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Denise, and I love the collages you assemble. The buttercups remind me of my childhood days when children would put the buttercup under their chin. If your chin "turned" yellow, this meant you like butter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bounty!




    ( '>
    /))
    //""

    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous flowers, all of them!! Where are they, all in the same place? I love the tiny and humble buttercups. And your header is so pretty! I think Aliums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw that foam flower when we were in Seattle. I like your photo better. It really shows that foamy look. Your flowers are all so beautiful, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ragwort... THAT's the name I've been trying to think of for months. Love your selection of flowers today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid I'm hopeless at identifying flowers... but the ones you are showing us are all beautifully photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wildflowers are so pretty and your photography is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beatiful and sensitive flowers! Very good shots, I like. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your star of Bethlehem is like one of our anemones! Very pretty stuff you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning, Denise. What a lovely collection of wildflowers.. Beautiful images.. Happy Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty... And your knowledge puts me to shame. The white violet is my favorite here, but I love all of them. And the memories of Spring that they bring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great post. I often struggle with identification here, despite have a reasonably good book! Have a good weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Denise - flowers look lovely. Wish I could help with what you call "Foam Flower". I will come back and read any more comments - because hopefully someone may help with its ID.

    Aren't buttercups a cheery looking flower gorgeous yellow petals.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the white violet but adore the buttercups. :) wish i could help on that neat unknown!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiul, Sweet White Viola is my favorite, both for its looks and its name.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely collection of flowers. I see daisies and buttercups scattered at my feet wherever I wander this time of year. I have learned to appreciate the buttercups woven into my own grassy yard too. Apparently, in olden times buttercups were cultivated in yards because they were so much easier to push through with weighty wooden lawn mowers of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They're all very pretty! I love the little violet and the buttercups. Have a wonderful weekend, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. these are all the type flowers i really like, what i call wild flowers. i like these better than the roses and lilies and things most people grow.. love that dewberry and freebane. and yellow flowers make me happy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I not any help with identification, but these are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am also coming up blank on an I.d. But you did an awesome job on the others!! A beautiful grouping!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A gorgeous selection of pretty flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dearest Denise; Breathtaking photographs and information about beautiful flowers♡♡♡
    What you call "Foam Flower" is my favorite; but all of them are SO lovely(*^_^*)
    I appreciate blogging so much for giving me the interests for nature♬♬♬
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  23. wild flowers are my favorite! your unknown flower is so pretty! I tried to identify it, but no luck.
    hope you enjoy your weekend!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi There, Happy Pentecost today. Hope you are wearing your RED....

    Happy Memorial Day Weekend to you and yours also. Let's never forgot those who died for our freedoms... God Bless them ALL.

    Beautiful flowers.... I love this time of year when so many gorgeous flowers are blooming. Our Roses have started to bloom --and I LOVE it.

    Sorry I haven't been around much. George and I have a couple of new online programs (one is a Food Journal and one a fitness/exercise program) --so we are VERY busy increasing our exercise and getting healthier... That's my excuse and I'm sticking' with it... ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful collection of wildflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. beautiful wildflowers! lovely shots!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So beautiful Denise, I love that you have identified and named each flower, this is something I need to start doing. Thanks so much for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro ♥

    ReplyDelete
  28. I never tire of your beautiful flower shots.

    ReplyDelete
  29. They look like weeds but are all lovely. I realized that weeds are more colorful and flowers are bigger in temperate climates, i don't know its significance to the proliferation of species. And that hirsute macro shot is my favorite. So bad my 35mm macro is in a state of disrepair.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So many beautiful flowers and mostly foreign to me so even more interesting. The last little white daisy has a similar flower to a tiny daisy I have growing. Very hardy although it can die back in the heat of summer.
    Without flowers our lives would be very dull wouldn't they?
    Thank you for sharing such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely wildflowers...I cannot identify the one you are unsure of but I don't think it is foam flower which has more of a spiked flower...

    ReplyDelete
  32. So lovely - this is a wonderful macro image!
    I hope you'll drop by and link up each week at image-in-ing. The linkup from last week is here: http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/05/textures.html and this week's will open in just a few hours!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You did a great job of finding and IDing these wild flowers. I've grown foam flower, and don't recognize this one. D~

    ReplyDelete
  34. You mystery flower could be a member of the Hydrophyllum family.

    Thanks for linking up at the Macro Monday Mixer and for the link to it on your page. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Denise, your wildflowers look lovely. I enjoy the ones that grow by themselves in my yard. One is your foam flower, Hydrophyllum tenuipes, or at least my photos look more like it than the one in the native plants museum-

    http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection.php?Genus=Hydrophyllum&Species=tenuipes

    Some nurseries in California sell developed flowers from this group with purple flowers. I like the way the stamens stick out and make a pincushiony effect. They come up in sheets and make a good ground cover in forested areas.

    ReplyDelete
  36. A pretty collection of flowers, some I recognized while others were new to me. I allow buttercups to grow wild at the back of our property, they're cherry little things.
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful wildflowers! And your Header photo is gorgeous!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very nice pictures of some lovely wildflowers. I grow several of the same ones, as well. They are wonderful additions to my habitat garden.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I too love learning from other bloggers like you Denise..Now I know what one of the flowers in my yard is...MIchelle

    ReplyDelete