Monday, May 18, 2015

Monday Food Post - What's left in the Fridge Salad


This will be my last Monday Food Post for a while.  We're heading into a particularly busy time from now until the end of July, so I won't be looking for interesting recipes to try.  I will be grabbing whatever I have in the fridge.

We have been going through a hot and humid spell and I have not felt like fussing in the kitchen, more particularly turning the oven on. Even my crockpot is taking a break. 

For the salad you just put whatever variety of produce you want on your plate.  It is made for one person.  Of course you can add as much as you need for as many people you need to serve it to.  

I realize you probably have a favorite salad recipe but this is just a guideline for me really, if ever I forget this combination of ingredients suited to my own taste.

I used up whatever I had in the fridge.

3 ounces of roast chicken, cut into small pieces
1 thinly slice of lacey Swiss Cheese, torn into small pieces
1 medium tomato, chopped into large dice
2 tablespoons chopped mild onion
A few hulled strawberries, quartered if they are on the large side
A few blueberries
1 teaspoon Strawberry infused olive oil 
1 teaspoon fig infused balsamic vinegar 
A handful of Spring Greens or any kind of favorite lettuce

And of course you can mix it up by using whatever you have available.

After rinsing everything in a collander and drying off pretty thoroughly, place the ingredients on your plate and drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top.  That's it!



I have to thank my sister-in-law (Gregg's sister) who gave both Gregg and myself all different kinds of Extra Virgin Olive Oil for our joint birthday gift.  A box arrived one day, from a company called Lucero.  She knows we cook with EVOO and we couldn't have been happier receiving not only a delightful gift,  but a very thoughtful one. It introduced us to several different flavors of olive oil, which we had no idea of, such as this infused Strawberry and the fig infused balsamic vinegar which was also in the gift box. It made for a really tasty salad.  We have already enjoyed the Lime Extra Virgin Olive Oil and are slowly going through the Lemon.  It has been a wonderful culinary adventure trying out different flavors.  So, even though this was a basic, throw everything into it, kind of a salad, the olive oil and the vinegar made it extra delicious. 

I was thinking a few toasted (or not) walnuts would be nice with this, or sliced almonds.

I also made another the next day and put a sliced hard-boiled egg on the top.


It has been so warm lately salads will be on the menu a lot.