Monday, May 11, 2015

Monday Food Post - Brown Rice Breakfast with Egg for One


I never thought of eating rice for my first meal of the day until I found this recipe here at "thekitchn".  

Serves 1

1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 cup cooked brown rice
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 or 2 large eggs

Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan over low heat.  Add the onion and cook for about one minute, until the onion turns a bright green.  Add the rice, season with salt and pepper and stir gently until rice is hot.  Add the peas and cook until they heat through and are bright green.  Spread the rice in an even layer over the bottom of the frying pan.  Crack the egg/eggs into a small bowl and carefully transfer them to the top of the rice layer.  Season with salt and pepper and cover.  Cook the egg to the way you like.  Carefully spoon into a bowl.




What did I think of this recipe?  

I now have a new favorite breakfast.  It was very yummy.  Of course, you have to like rice.  If you're not fond of brown you can use the white.

I have made this several times over the last few weeks, not only for breakfast but it has made a lovely lunch and a nice light supper.  

For a while I substituted Edamame as I didn't have peas.  I bought the PicSweet Steamables - shelled Edamame soy beans - from the freezer section in my supermarket, and took out half a cup at a time.  They were a good substitution but I do like the peas.

I added two green onions as I like the taste.  

You can play with it and add other things.  Suggested veggies in original recipe, chopped carrots or chard, after being cooked for about 3 minutes first before adding the green onion. You can also add garlic, ginger or peppers.  Other suggestions chicken or salmon, as well as tofu. Basically, anything that appeals to your taste buds.  I liked this with the ingredients mentioned but did enjoy it once with tofu that I had sauteed to crisp up a little, in the same pan as the onions and peas.

I ended up cooking the egg separately but in the same pan, after I had put the rice mixture in my bowl.  It didn't take long to cook and the rice mixture was still nice and hot when I popped the egg on the top.  I sauteed it in about a teaspoon of olive oil but I have also poached as well, and I am sure scrambled would be very nice.

1 tablespoon of olive oil is more than enough for my taste, in fact I didn't even use a whole tablespoon.  Up to you.

A little cracked pepper sprinkled on the top is a nice addition.  I don't usually add a lot of salt to my food and didn't use any while preparing.  

It is always a good idea to read the original recipe, and look at all the other delicious recipes available.  I will be going back many times.