Wednesday, April 15, 2015

DOMINION ANIMAL HOSPITAL AND AN AMAZING MURAL BY KEITH NAQUIN, HERNDON, VIRGINIA


Today I met up with a friend for breakfast.  After enjoying our meal we went for a walk around the older part of town in Herndon.  


The only part of Herndon I knew of was the main street and a Mexican Restaurant Gregg, Brad and I used to go to when Brad was still living at home, many, many years ago.  It was their favorite place but has long since gone out of business.  We always wondered why because it was incredibly popular, the line of people waiting out the door on many occasions when we went there.  Maybe the owners just decided it was time to retire.


Well, I'm getting off track a bit.  This restaurant was in a shoppng center on the main road and I have never explored any other area, but today my friend took me to the part of town that I had never been to.  She showed me this lovely mural on the side of a building that houses the pet hospital, and out came my cell phone.  I took lots of photographs.  I loved it.  


The artist is Keith Naquin and it was sponsored by the Council of the Arts of Herndon.  The original owner of the practise, "Doc Cockrel" has his barn painted in the mural (you can see that in the top photo) and owners and patrons were asked to submit photos of their dogs and cats so that they could be added also.  The cat of the mayor who presided over the dedication ceremony is seen on a swing. 


What I also thought very clever was that the tree houses were painted around the windows of the actual building, and also a staircase leads up to another window.  It turned an old building into an amazing work of art.  It is an awesome mural and I look forward to going back to study it further.


A quick stop at The Harvest Bread Company where I purchased a loaf of bread and a stack of jumbo-sized raisin and oatmeal cookies that I knew Gregg would enjoy.  Both bread and cookies got a big thumb's up from Gregg.  I also noticed on sale were packets of home-made dog biscuits.  The bread company is right next to the animal hospital.  





















If you want to see other photos of this wonderful mural you can click here.  Just click on each tiny button below the photo to take you to the next one.

There is a fence showing in this mural and I thought Theresa wouldn't mind if I used these photos to share this week over at Good Fences. 

You can click on the name, The Run*A*Round Ranch Report, to see other Good Fences participants.  

Thank you Theresa for hosting this fun meme.

40 comments:

  1. Gorgeous mural and are work. Wow! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute, cute mural! i LOVE the tree houses built/painted around the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is absolutely gorgeous, Denise. One of the most beautiful wall murals I have ever seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such amazing artwork. I'll bet it was a big hit with the townspeople!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! And everyone will be able to recognize the vet's office. I love everything about it, and am so glad you took so many pictures so we can see the details. I love the way the tree house tops are around real windows. The cat on the swing is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the detail in the mural. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness, Denise! I thought I had seen everything...but this is just absolutely one of the best murals I have ever seen. I would love to go there and just sit and study it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing mural!

    The cat on the fence is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A high point of my day! Thanks, Dear




    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could see this in person, but certainly thanks for showing us the pictures. Aren't the cell phone pics amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love this! So clever! Last time I went to Herndon I got lost!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic mural. Very talented artist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You wouldn't forget where the vet is after you'd seen that mural, would you? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun. I love it - thank you so much. I would have taken a kazillion photos myself...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Denise, I just love the mural! It is so cute, the dogs are all adorable too. I would love to see it in person! Thanks for sharing, great shots! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant! I would have taken loads of pictures too if I'd been there. Everyone one is a winner. Thanks for sharing this, Denise.... anything with animals goes well with me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful community project! I like the way the artist has used the windows of the pet hospital building in the mural and has featured the pets of the sponsors and other personal references to the local area. Magical!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Murals are wonderful. Wish we could see more of them! Thank you for all the photos of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. you have just posted the MOST amazing mural I have ever seen. I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT and would so love to see it in person. this artist has super talent, a gift from God. your photos are Perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not just a mural but a lovely painting. This was very well done with such wonderful detail.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, I love love love this mural!! How wonderful - what a brilliant idea. I just love the trees around the windows and all the cats and dogs. I guess you can spend quite some time just looking at the mural. Thank you for sharing it with us - I think it's perfect for Good Fences.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the link to the mural website. I found so many wonderful details!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a fun and gorgeous mural!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That mural artist or artists have made a fantastic keeper for the eyes of their passer Byers.

    I enjoy this so much.

    Thank you for sharing. You and friend must of been delighted to walk about and see it eyes on . I am sure it was even more fab. The colors very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing mural. The colors are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Goodness, how wonderful this is. Thanks for sharing this delightful, cheery place, what an imagination it was to create, paint and of course, to please us!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now that's a mural! This was wonderful and just a joy to look at. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! The work of one talented artist! Amazing! Love those pets and especially the cat on the swing! Such a silly photo! LOL! It is a shame about your favorite Mexican place. We love Mexican food too and after my honey's doctor appointment we are heading to one of our favorite places, El Jardin. They make the very best Carnitas Indian Tacos! Oh I can taste them already....yum.
    Have a great weekend and thanks for this lovely share.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a famous and creative painting! I've never seen in Germany such things (seems, we haven't murals here)
    Thanks for sharing, have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is absolutely fantastic and what a brilliant idea, thank you for posting, it's been great to see.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A very inspirational and moving way to decorate the building.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great mural, Denise! What a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is a really beautiful mural! I love all the colour and the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is truly an incredible mural. I would have been transfixed by it too.

    ReplyDelete