Monday, April 6, 2015

Monday Food Post - Tofu, Cucumber and Spring Onion Salad with Sesame Miso Dressing


A few weeks ago I was getting over a rather nasty bout of flu, and when I started feeling like I was getting myself back together, I had this intense craving for tofu.  I am still puzzled why that was.  I like tofu a lot but craving?  For chocolate maybe but tofu?  Never happened before.  I think it was at that point that I just wanted to nibble on something bland.  A while ago I had come across this food blog, Hungry and Frozen, but I couldn't open the page, because my cable started to act up.  Frustrated, I took a quick screen shot and it automatically went on my camera roll on my iPad for quite a while.  Wouldn't you know it I came across the screen shot recently and decided to type it in.  The first recipe that greeted me was this one for tofu.  Kismet!  Still depleted of any energy whatsover, my dear, sweet husband went off to the market, got all the ingredients and made me the salad, it was so delicious. Yay for Chef Gregg!  


Please check out Laura's blog.  She has some wonderful recipes. Here is the recipe at its original location.  


The weights are in the metric system (this is a New Zealand blog), so hopefully you have one of those digital scales that changes at the press of a button.  I love mine for making overseas recipes.  Otherwise there are plenty of conversion sites on line, such as this one here.



Tofu, Cucumber and Spring Onion Salad with Sesame Miso Dressing 

Serves 1

100g firm tofu 

Half a cucumber (I used an English one, or what is called a Hot House Cucumber here in the States)
1 Spring Onion
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 or 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 heaped teaspoons white miso paste
A pinch of caster sugar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Make sure your tofu and cucumber are well-chilled.  


Dice each into small squares, size depending on your own visual taste.  


Finely slice the spring onion, reserving some of the green for garnish.


In a bowl whisk together the vinegar, soy, olive oil, miso and most of the sesame seeds until it comes together as a smooth dressing.


Mix in the tofu, cucumber and spring onion, stir to cover.  Transfer to the bowl you will be eating from, and garnish with the remaining sesame seeds and sliced spring onion.


Eat and enjoy!




What did I think?  This is going to be a favorite for the warmer months.  

Gregg is just becoming a fan of tofu and says he would prefer to sauté it in oil first to make it crispy.  If you want crispy don't forget to press as much liquid out of the tofu as you can.  The less moisture, the crispier it will be.  I prefer this particular salad as is.  Just up to your own taste buds.


The dressing reminds me of the one they serve on the salad at our local Japanese Steakhouse.  The different taste I experienced must have come from the miso paste.


Gregg could not find any white miso paste at our store, but did pick up a packet of miso soup mix, and used a teaspoon of that mix in the dressing.  We will go on a hunt for White Miso Paste the next time we go to our favorite Asian supermarket, as we both enjoyed the flavoring. 


Laura suggests serving this with Roast Chicken and Rice.  Sounds great but this was wonderful on its own.