Monday, April 13, 2015

Monday Food Post - Hot Cheesy Spinach-Artichoke Dip



I got my recipe here.   

Hot Cheesy Spinach-Artichoke Dip
From The Comfort of Cooking blog
Host: Georgia

Serves 15 (makes 4-1/2 cups)

2 cups shredded Mozzarella-Parmesan Cheese blend (I couldn't find the combined packet of cheeses so I bought two separate packets and mixed them together myself when measuring out ingredients)
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 (14 ounce) can small artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat or regular cream cheese
2/3 cup light sour cream or Greek yogurt
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit.

Measure out all your ingredients and have them within handy reach.

Prepare a casserole dish by giving a light coating on the inside with cooking spray.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, blend 1-1/2 cups Mozzarella/Parmesan cheese mixture, spinach and artichoke hearts until well combined.

Blend garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and salt into spinach mixture.

Pour into the prepared casserole dish and distribute evenly, leveling it off by lightly smoothing and flattening the top with the back of your spoon.

Top with the remaining half a cup of Mozzarella/Parmesan cheese mixture.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is golden and dip is bubbly.

Serve hot with crackers, toasted bread or pretzels.  



What did we think?  I have been looking for ideas on using spinach because I need camouflage for this vegetable. It is one of those foods that is not everyone's cup of tea.  Spinach salad, we will both eat that but in the cold weather I felt like something hot, and when I came across this recipe, just by looking at the ingredients, I knew I had a winner.  I have also been looking for a way to incorporate more dark green leafy veggies into our diet as I know it is so healthy for you.  

I think our oven cooks at a different temperature as after 30 minutes the top of the dip still didn't have a golden crust.  I put the broiler on and watched it carefully until I was satisfied.  This created the most delicious crust.

I served it with Focaccia rolls that I cut into inch-and-a-half cubes.  

The next time I make this will be when we have people over for dinner.  I have seen large, crusty round loaves hollowed out which acts as the bowl.  I might try next time.  Presentation is real pretty. The bread that has been taken from the center of the loaf can be cut or torn into pieces and used to scoop up the dip.

There are leftovers so we will be having it for the next few days. We had a nice supper the second night and served it with a tomato soup.  


It heated up very nicely in the microwave, or pop it back into the oven until heated through.