Tuesday, April 7, 2015

BIRD D'POT, NATURE NOTES AND WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY


There is always an interesting variety of ducks and geese at the Reston Zoo.  These are a few of them.  The photo above, from doing a lot of looking at photos on line, is a Shelgoose, I think.  Please correct me if you know for sure.
(Added note: John at Stargoose And Hanglands (click on name of blog to visit) identified the above as an Egyptian Goose.  You can go to my comment section to read his comment. Thanks John!



I am wondering if this one is a Blue Swedish Duck as I see a very similar looking bird here.


Still not certain but there you go.


I truly thank you for all your comments but one I took note of was from Simon at Careering through nature.  It is an area I know nothing about as he mentioned "the issue of hyrbidization" making it even more difficult to identify.  Something I had not even thought of.   Thank you Simon!



Bar-headed Goose  



Purple-headed Mallard





This one has a pretty light brown color but not having seen one before I wasn't sure what he/she was.  I came close to an idenitification here at 10,000 Birds.  It looks very much like the female Buff Orpington.  It is shown on the second photo on the site.  What do you think? 





I sure did get a kick out of these geese running down to us as we were bending over the fence trying to take their photos.  You can buy food for them either at the store or at the fence where they have a miniatrue vending machine that will give you a handful of food for a quarter or two.  Not sure how much to tell you the truth as we bought ours at the store as we entered the zoo.



You can click on the links below to see other participants.  I would like to thank our hosts for these great memes.

36 comments:

  1. Good Morning Denise! I love all the ducks and geese. The last two shots are fun! Great captures. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos. The top picture is actually an Egyptian Goose. They are fairly common living in the wild in this part of England. I don't know what your pretty light coloured goose might be though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise, As I scrolled through the pics I said to myself several times "favorite" ... they are all good but especially the really close up shots and the one where they are all marching toward you! That's a great shot. Have a fine day and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are all beautiful and many of these i have never seen. i love the black and white and gray goose. they sell food that way at Jungle Gardens for ducks and geese and flamingos

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun post Denise!!! I love the look of anticipation for a free hand-out, hoping you were going to feed them.

    Thanks for sharing the link this week at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh they are all so pretty ! Wonderful photos and post . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos always make my day so much brighter. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All beauties! Love seeing these images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should see the Nene Goose in Hawaii. That would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denise, love to see the ducks waddle, and I can almost here them quacking in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first one is definitely an Egyptian Goose. They came thru Baton Rouge a couple years ago. Haven't seen them since. These are all beauties and photographed so well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reminds me of the children's book, "Duck,duck, goose,goose." What fun at the zoo. A good place to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The issue of hybridisation can make duck and goose id tricky as well

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a lovely selection Denise including a few I easily recognize including the Egyptian, a common species locally here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful shots, especially the last one!





    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful to see these ducks, Denise, and so many, too! Thank you so much for sharing, you have made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great variety of ducks... I love to see them waddle!!!! When we were at the state park enjoying our Easter Buffet on Sunday, we sat by the window. A couple of ducks chasing each other in the lake were entertaining us as we ate... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just took an online web class offered by Cornell on waterfowl and hybrids... Oh my... Tough to sort them out....great photos Denise.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. I actually went to our city park this week to search for ducks. There are fines for feeding and there was not one duck present. My husband and I decided there wasn't fish in the pond so the ducks don't come anymore. I was happy to see yours and I never knew there were purple headed Mallards. Have a great week Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the Egyptian Goose and also the Bar-headed Goose.

    ReplyDelete
  21. As a non birder I am continually amazed at the number of species there are. Ducks are so comical when they are waddling to beg for food.

    ReplyDelete
  22. these are really exceptional denise, some i have never seen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So many different kinds of geese. Such great photos of them, Denise! Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love ducks very much and the pictures are so wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow there are some very unusual fowl here...I love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are all so pretty...the Bar-headed goose sure captures my attention. I almost think he is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pretty geese and such a great variety. Your commenters were very helpful -- I love that about birders!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are all such interesting, beautiful birds. Your photos are always so awesome, Denise.

    ReplyDelete