Thursday, April 16, 2015

ANOTHER NICE WALK....

I am starting off with a few photos for SkyWatch Friday, which were taken on the same walk as those shown below.  Please click here to visit other sky watchers.

The redbuds are blooming in our neck of the woods.

and signs of new leaf growth are finally showing  on the trees
.


I am also linking with Willy-Nilly Friday 5.   
Click here to visit other participants.  

Thank you to our hosts of these two great memes.


This week will be about the walk we had on Sunday.


1) We took the trail near the Old Stone Bridge at Bull Run.  It was a lovely day, warm and sunny and we were eager to get out and enjoy the day.  There is more than one trail that you can take which are loops.  We took the one that eventually leads down to the water where there is a path that ends back at the bridge.  When we started out we noticed a young lady who was searching for something in the wooded area, and at first I thought she was looking for a wildflower as we see a lot of people doing that.  She was about a hundred yards away holding a stick which she used to turn over the dead leaves and dirt, also small rocks and looking among the twigs and larger fallen branches.  Looking for flowers, bugs perhaps?  Gregg wanted to go over and ask her what she was looking for but me, putting myself in her place I thought perhaps she would prefer some quiet time while she searched for whatever she was searching for, and thinking we might be trampling raining on her parade, said maybe we shouldn't.  Wrong move on my part as it turned out but my heart was in the right place, and more on that later.









2) So we started off and it was quiet at first but the further along we found ourselves with other walkers, there were indeed quite a lot of them.   We made our way along the boardwalk that takes us over  the marshy area, and eventually reach the hill which gives us a great cardiavascular workout.  Then thankfully there is a flat area where we have some wonderful views of the battlefield.  I have always told Gregg he would make a great history teacher.  We stop at several historical markers and he tells me where the North and the South were located, about the generals and their strategies.  It is very hard to imagine that these battles took place here, in such a peaceful and serene area. We meander along the more easier part of the trail, and pass other walkers going in the opposite direction and some overtaking us as we stop to read the markers along the way.  This is the flat part which eventually takes us down a hill towards the river - Bull Run.  









3) We meet Winston Churchill, or at least this lovely little Corgi that this very funny man told me was from the same line as the Queen's Corgi's.  He didn't know I was English and when I said, "Really?" his wife added quickly no, it's his little joke.  He had said the same thing to Gregg out of my hearing a minute before.  I laughed of course and made a fuss.  One of the ladies told me that he was named after Winston Churchill, and I opened my arms wide and said quite happily, "Winnieeeeeee, it's so lovely to meet you!"  Well, Winnie was very pleased for a fuss and a tickle on the ears.  We chatted for another five minutes with these lovely people and after one last tickle of Winnie's ears, we went our separate ways.





4)  We walked on the path next to Bull Run and was happy to find lots of wildflowers blooming.  I spotted Dutchman's Breeches.  I had only seen them before in photos.  There were also Virginia Bluebells starting to open up and Trout Lilies.  We met another friendly man who was kneeling on the ground taking photos of a patch of Dutchman's Breeches.  He stopped as we walked by and started a conversation.  He knew his wildflowers and I asked him what these tiny ones were, which he said were called Spring Beauty.  He told me to come back in a week and I would see the Virginia Bluebells in full bloom.  I'm hoping the weather will have cleared up by then.  It's been a iffy today and I'm hoping those sunny skies will return.










5)  When we arrived back at our starting point an hour-and-a-half later, we saw that same young lady still searching in the undergrowth.  She had some helpers this time, her boyfriend and two other friends and they had joined in the search.  This time we stopped and asked what was going on.  It turns out she had lost her car keys and knew that they were somewhere in this wooded area. I felt a bit guilty for not helping before but as I said, my heart was in the right place.  I really did not want to interrupt her as she was so very focused on her task.  Anyhow, Gregg and I helped with the search. I did my best but couldn't see anything, well, lots of wildflowers and old leaves and such, but my Hawkeye, who is the greatest spotter for when we go out taking photographs and finding tiny flowers, bug or fungi, or birds high up in trees, saved the day. I heard Gregg say, "Look what I found?" and he was holding up her keys with the biggest grin on his face.  He had gone a little further outside their perimeter.  There wasn't any more room where they were huddled anyhow.  He suddenly saw something shiny sticking out of the dirt, and there were her keys. She had such a look of relief on her face and Gregg was most definitely everyone's hero.  Goodness knows how much longer they would have been searching in that one patch of ground.  



~~~~~~~~~

When we got in our car we were feeling pretty good and as we were slowly rolling out of the parking lot, who should we pass but Winnie's entourage.  I yelled - in a gentile way and not like a town crier - "Hello Your Majesties", as Gregg gave them the royal wave, and they all looked at us and started laughing and waved back.  Winnie wiggled his body, and with his tongue still hanging out I am sure he had a big smile on his face.  You know something?  Everyone we met was in a great mood, glad to be outdoors and enjoying the warm day and all that sunshine.  That was a great walk and then Gregg, the key finder and hero of the day, drove us home.

37 comments:

William Kendall said...

Very good of Gregg!

Such a peaceful place... so unlike what it would have been like at the two battles fought in that place.

Winston the corgi is much too cute.

Linda Gross said...

We looked for the rosebuds, while in Virginia over the Easter weekend. I guess we were early (or they were budding late). We didn't see any.

Karen S. said...

Absolutely happy moods and laughter seems to be coming to life everywhere these springy days! Hooray. What an adventure detailed in such lovely captures too. Such beauty, in nature, those flowers and especially the sweet pups face!

TexWisGirl said...

love sweet winnie. so glad gregg could find her keys for her! lots of walkers out that day, for sure!

i've not seen dutchman's breeches since i left wisconsin 30+ years ago.

Jim said...

Great shots.

Photo Cache said...

Spring is a wonderful time to be out and about and enjoy nature.

Worth a Thousand Words

Linda said...

Beautiful series, Denise! I love Welsh Corgis, what a sweet little canine, too :)

Gill - That British Woman said...

can't get over all those people in shorts and t-shirts, not that warm up here. Super photos.

Cloudia said...

MY! What a bounty of treasures!!!!




ALOHA from Honolulu,
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Michelle said...

Glad Gregg found those keys for her!

Elephant's Child said...

How wonderful that Gregg saved the day - and Winnie is MUCH better looking than his name sake.

Ginny said...

What a wonderful ending to your story! I was really enjoying your pictures until the flowers. Then WOW, I was astounded. Beautiful little wildflowers from the woods, awesome!! The little Corgi is beautiful! Do you know what the yellow upside down flower is?

Stephanie said...

Great tour of the area, cute dog and love that boardwalk.

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Now I am envious. I took photos of my Bluebells today and they are not so blue. i had a Corgi name Winifred and we called her Winnie. I love those dogs.

Indrani said...

A good collection from your trip. Great pics.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

What a great post, you take us on a wonderful little jaunt and then end up with, well a great end of the story.

Jane said...

Denise, what a lovely walk and how great that Gregg became the hero of the moment. I really love those flowers ~ the Dutchmen's breeches and the last one, is that the trout lily? Just gorgeous. Did they not recognise your English accent, or has that long since gone? Mine is there but in England they say I sound Aussie and in Australia they say I sound like a Pom!!

Lina Gustina said...

What a great day and an enjoyable walk. Gregg was a hero that day.
Enjoying your shots, Denise.

www.womenandperspectives.com/2015/04/cloudless-sky-and-empty-tribune.html

Margaret Adamson said...

Thanks for taking us along your lovely walk with you. Now that dog shot is brilliant. He is a star. Lovely to see the wild flowers adn to hear about the wholw walk. Have a great weekend,

eileeninmd said...

Good Morning, Denise.. What a lovely walk. The wildflowers are all gorgeous. And thanks to your Gregg for saving the day and finding the keys..I am sure the lady was very happy..The doggie is so cute.. Great post, enjoy your Friday!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful sky an beautiful spring walk ... I'm glad to see your spring blossoms!

Barbara Rogers said...

I loved meeting Winnie here on your walk, and the rest of the story you had to tell. Yes, we are all so glad to get out in sun again. But I must also comment that your Dutchman's breeches is a beautiful photo, might I copy it for my own record, since I haven't seen any in my walks yet. I did see troutlilly however, and need to post mine soon.

Lea said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely walk with us!

Linda Kay said...

Thanks for sharing your photos and adventures with us today. The flowers are really lovely. So nice to see Spring in the air.

Tom said...

#1 Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars.
#2 I love history.
#3 OK butter them up!
#4 WOW!
#5 I always have a car key on my wallet just in case.
Tom The Backroads Traveller

Sandra said...

congrats to Gregg the key finder and the thing i like about walking on paths and in state parks are the sometimes really nice people we meet. my friend Diane is not a talker, she loves taking bird photos, we would be on the beach and she would look back and i was on my knees hugging a dog, talking to a man in a camper, showing him the pic i took of his camper and she started calling me chatty cathy. your walk sounds like so much fun and i have never seen Bull Run, only in movies and books. to funny you found Winston Churchill on the way to Bull Run

SeagullSuzie said...

What a lovely walk and story, well done Gregg!

Felicia said...

pretty nature images and wonderful cloudless blue sky.

Cranberry Morning said...

What a great and interesting walk! I love redbud and first saw them at Gettysburg. Unfortunately, we're too far north to grow them. What an honor to meet Winston Churchill. Lol so cute! We have visited several of the battlefields where the Army of Northern Virginia fought Union troops. Always interesting.

Down by the sea said...

That looks a lovely walk and so go to see the wild flowers emerging. How nice to meet Winnie too! Sarah x

Rose said...

I can just feel that poor girls relief! And made a real good ending for your good day.

SweetMarie said...

Winnie is adorable! You have some lovely pictures! I like the pic of the straight walkway, very cool. :)

Ida said...

That was fun. I felt as if I were there on your walk with your reading the stories of your journey and seeing your wonderful photos. Winnie is adorable and those wild flowers were so pretty. How awesome that Gregg helped to find that woman's keys. A very nice adventure.

Marie C said...

What a wonderful day! The wildflower photos were amazing (oh, those Virginia bluebells!) and I loved the dog story and your success with the lost keys!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Thanks for taking us along on your walk. I really enjoyed it!!

Mimsie said...

Thank you so much for sharing the above I have just been on a most delightful walk with you and, for someone who can't walk very far, I did very well.
That is a beautiful corgi and he looks a very happy dog.
Well done Gregg on finding the car keys for the lass. I can imagine her relief and I am sure he enjoyed being made a fuss of for being so clever.

Tanya Breese said...

how funny that gregg turned out to be the one to find them when he wanted to see what she was looking for to start with ha! but like you, i would have thought she wanted privacy too...beautiful walk and that winston is adorable! thanks for linking and hope to see you again this friday!