Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Reston Zoo

Thank you all for the nice welcome back, I really appeciated all the sweet comments.

Today we had to take Gregg's vehicle into the dealership and on our way back we decided to have a walk around the Reston Zoo.  We walked by where they keep the monkeys.  This one is a Brown-headed Spider Monkey, Ateles fusciceps fusciceps.  


Their natural habitat is in the tropical and subtropical humid forests in Central and South America, and they can live for 25 to 30 years.   

Spider Monkeys have a prehensil tail that they use as an extra hand or foot.  


There are only four fingers on their hands, no thumbs.   This helps them move through the trees, from branch to branch easier and faster.  


Spider monkeys will open their mouths to show off their teeth if they feel threatened


Mature females have one offspring every two to three years.


I obtained all my information about the animals from nearby markers such as this one.



It is a small zoo and by the time we had finished our walk around  we had a phone call to say Gregg's vehicle was ready for pick up.  

The last time we were here was quite a while ago in 2008, and you can see that post here where I focused on the Prairie Dogs.  I saw them again today but will share that post at a later date.  



26 comments:

  1. hope the little guys are well kept there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have watched Prairie Dogs in a zoo, and they are adorable!!! This poor monkey looks like he wants out so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teresa and Ginny, I hope he's happy too and he really wanted something, a bit of food maybe, just out of his reach outside the cage. I truly don't like to see them in cages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was as happy as a monkey to see your post!




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope he is happy, dear Denise. Thank you so much for sharing these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful things - and so hard to see them in cages. Perhaps they are safer there than in their natural environment, but it is still hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do feel sorry for them caged up with no big trees to swing through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seeing animals in cages upsets me yet I can understand the need in some situations. I just hope the monkeys weren't caged for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Denise, I am glad you are back too. Cute shots of the monkeys..Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Denise, It is sure nice to see you back! These are some neat pictures from your visit to the zoo. Looking forward to more posts from you! Have a fine day! John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the snapshots and story of the spider monkey. I always enjoy watching them in the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great shots of this sweet monkey.. i would love to wander there myself. i love the squirrel shot in your header, he is sooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute pics of the spider monkeys. We recently took the grandkids to the zoo. It's fun to enjoy the experience through the eyes of the very young.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to have you back ! Cute monkeys I hope they are happy and healthy there ! Thanks for sharing nice photos ! Have a good day and a Happy Easter weekend ! !

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are playing like all monkeys do...silly cute little guys! Always ready to make us smile and laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These monkeys are so cute! Their faces often remind me of a human's. A great place to visit while your car was being serviced. Hope the vehicle repair wasn't too costly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the monkeys are cute! I hope this is a nice home for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you're back Denise, love the squirrel image header.
    I don't think Reston zoo gets good press. It seems a shame to see animals in cages like this as Paignton zoo manages to keep monkeys in open enclosures, I'm so much more used to seeing them 'free'

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hate monkeys behind bars. At least at the National Zoo the spider monkeys are in large spacious enclosures. There are 'bars' but they protect visitors. I really don't like small zoos. Sorry.

    Nice photos, however.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had no idea they didn't have thumbs. I always thought all primates did, but apparently the major groups that do are just the Old world monkeys, and the apes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Terrific photos, Denise. It really is nice to have you back again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I used to love zoos and we have taken our kids and grands to a bunch of them over the years; and even went to some great ones by ourselves when we were full-time RVing.

    But now they make me a tiny bit sad; I do know zoos do a good job nowadays and have saved many creatures from extinction. But that sweet baby so looks like he wants out!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It touches me very, very much and makes my soul always sad...
    I hope they can enjoy their life at least a little bit.

    ReplyDelete