Sunday, April 19, 2015

Monday Food Post - Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake

A quick note: I had set this up to appear on Monday.  Not really sure why it is showing now!!!!  But will leave it now as I see quite a few of you dear people have already commented and don't want to leave anyone confused if I keep it until tomorrow.


It is very rare that I get a craving these days but today was the day.  I felt like something chocolat-y, but frankly didn't want to go overboard with the calories and make a big dessert, so I thought Mug Cake.  I have made a few since I discovered them a few years back and not been really impressed, but have put the ones I have enjoyed on here. Today when I did a search with chocolate and peanut butter (a winning combination in my eyes - the craving also included peanut butter), I came up with this one at The Novice Chef.  Please read Jessica's recipe to get extra ideas.  


Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake by Jessica
Makes 1 mug cake

3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons milk
1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon peanut butter



Directions:

In a large mug whisk together (with a small whisk or large fork) the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.  Add the milk, vegetable oil and peanut butter.  Whisk until smooth.

Cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute and 10 seconds.  This recipe will rise a lot and then deflate.  

Serve immediately.

What did I think of this recipe?  Excellent, it satisfied that craving I had.  Mixing it directly in the mug saves on washing up but leaves a bit of a mess above the ingredient line (I am a messy mixer).  If I wanted a prettier presentation and was making it for someone else, I might mix in a small bowl and then scrape it into the coffee mug. 

A sliced strawberry on the top would look nice too, or another colorful fruit (raspberries for instance), and if I really wanted to go all out I think this would go great with a small scoop of vanilla ice-cream.

I made another but this time I used a small bowl to mix.  I added everything except the peanut butter, plus a tablespoon of chopped walnuts. After mixing in the bowl I poured half the mixture into the mug, added very thinly sliced bananas, three or four should be enough, put the rest of the mixture on top and cooked as mentioned in the recipe. For garnish I put on the top three thin slices of banana and a sprinkle of chocolate chips.  

There is more than enough for two servings here.  I put the other half in the fridge and ate it the next day.

Added note: you can also leave the peanut butter out if you don't like peanut butter.

Thank you Jessica for satisfying this sweet tooth moment.  You can check out Jessica's blog here.