Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Little Red Schoolhouse



The little red schoolhouse
was just down the road.
The dress she was wearin'
her mama sewed.
She'd watched her mama make it
with needle and thread.
Her mama was smilin'
from the words she had read.

Mama loved to hear her
read all the words she knew.
'Cause mama couldn't read them
except for a few.
She said there was no schoolhouse
when she was young,
and most of the words she learned
were from songs that had been sung.

The little red schoolhouse
had only one room,
But every time she'd been in it
she was like a flower in bloom.
She knew she'd make her mama 
very proud some day
for that little red schoolhouse
would show her the way.

She remembers that school bell
ringin' in the morn
and mama sayin' 'Rise up girl,
a new day has been born.'
She smiled now thinkin' back
and some tears it now brought,
not for the little red schoolhouse
but for what her mama had taught.

~Edwina Reizer~

~~~~~

I had an invite from Linda Kay from Senior Adventures to join in her fun meme, Wednesday Wit and Wisdom, and so I linked up just now.  Thanks Linda Kay!

You can see other participants right here.

33 comments:

  1. So sweet. Love the photo and love the poem. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this poem, AND the little red schoolhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, Denise, I love both the photo and the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem and love the image of the red school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a touching poem and the photo brings it all to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute poem, perfect for the photo. Denise, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the picture of the schoolhouse and the poem too. Can you imagine attending classes in one room?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photo (so special) and the poem. I went to a little red schoolhouse (2 rooms) for first and second grade --bigger than this, but quaint all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the schoolhouse and the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting. I like this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sweet photo and poem to go with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous little red schoolhouse...where is it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denise, this was just lovely. You should link in to my post today for words with pictures. The school house is beautiful. My mom and dad both attended one room schoolhouses for a part of their youth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool ... perfect fit photo and poem. Nice work. Also enjoyed your "Random Photo" on Tuesday. Thanks for sharing Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it soo cute ! Lovely poem . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is one pretty school house, my early years were in a two room school house, but it was white

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just the right poem for the occasion, and a pretty old school house.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A sweet and touching poem...aaaah, I can just imagine the little girl.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is one cool little red school house, what a pleasure to read too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. such a pretty schoolhouse! the poem is so touching, beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  21. I liked the poem and the picture that accompanied it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed the poem paired with that great photo of the Little Red Schoolhouse! My mother-in-law taught in a one room school house in Kansas during WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ooohhhh Denise, this image is awesome!! You took this picture?? It's just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great shot of the school house and perfect pairing with the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like this, Denise...that is a beautiful schoolhouse and poem.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adorable photo and I love the poem! Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're a poet. And the picture went well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a pretty post. Thanks for sharing it.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. When I went to school my parents sent me to the 'big' school in town. We passed two one room schoolhouses where the bus would stop to let students off who were going there. I always thought I missed out on something.
    Love this little red cutie! Where is it?

    ReplyDelete