Monday, February 9, 2015

Monday Food Post - Mashed Sweet Potatoes


I never had a sweet potato until I came to the States and even then it took several years of passing them by at the supermarket before I would give them a try.  Gregg doesn't like them as they are too sweet for his taste, but our son tried them at a friend's house in his early teens and from then on sweet potatoes were on our menu.  Not very often but occasionally I would pop one of these into the oven and bake like I would a regular jacket potato.  They are extremely nutritious and if you want to see how much you can go to this page.  I never honestly thought of mashing them before except for casseroles at Thanksgiving.  When I saw this simple recipe at Pam's For The Love Of Cooking blog, I knew I had to try it and I am so glad I did.  

Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Yield: 6

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes

3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into two-inch pieces
1/4 cup of milk 
1 to 2 tablespoons butter, to taste
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste

Put the sweet potatoes in a large pot and add just enough cold water to cover them.

Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.

Place milk, butter, sea salt, freshly grated nutmeg and freshly cracked pepper in a glass bowl.  

Cook for 30 seconds in the microwave, or until warmed.

Drain and return the potatoes to the pot and place back on the stove with the burner turned down to low, which will dry up any excess water.

Add the warmed milk mixture and mash with a hand masher or beater until smooth.

Taste and add more salt or nutmeg if needed.

Serve immediately.



What did I think of this recipe?  It was delicious!  Since I am the only one in our house who will be eating this, I will have several servings left.  I will try freezing it in single serving portions.  If you would like to see more yummy recipes take a look at Pam's blog. She has many.

I didn't have any nutmeg to add to the milk and butter.  I used 2% milk and it still tasted very creamy.  

34 comments:

Linda said...

I really love sweet potatoes, Denise, and I might just give this a try. Thanks so much for sharing.

Kay said...

I really like mashed sweet potatoes, but I haven't had them in such a long time. Thank you for reminding me. I'll have to get some the next time I go to the supermarket.

Elephant's Child said...

I love sweet potato mash. Sweet potato fries are good too. Sweet potato anything is good.

Margaret Adamson said...

Coming from Ireland of course I love potatoes and certainly will try this recipe. Don't know why I would not like it! Thanks.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

This looks yummy! I recently had sweet potatoes for the first time and really liked them!

John's Island said...

Wow, this looks great. I am going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Denise, I love sweet potatoes. I have never tried them mashed though.. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I will definitely try it.. Have a happy day!

Sandra said...

the only food my husband doesn't eat is sweet potato. i love them and when he has a baked white potato i have the sweet potato. i was raised on these becuase daddy grew both sweet and white potato. mother baked a dozen at a time. i have never had them mashed, but i would like it...it looks good to me

Sandra said...

just last year i have sweet potato fries and they are delish to, in the oven or fried

Tanya Breese said...

i love sweet potatoes but my weird kids don't!

Red said...

We eat them either boiled or baked. We have them for special meals such as christmas or thanksgiving. However, your recipe looks tempting.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I am with Gregg on this one, too sweet for us also.

Debbie said...

i make them a lot but have never cooked them just like white potatoes. this sounds so good, i will def try this!!!

Ginny said...

They are very, very pretty! And more healthful than the white ones, too.

William Kendall said...

I can't recall the last time I had sweet potatoes, but it's been a long, long time.

Karen S. said...

They are so delicious! I eat them often, baked too, besides mashed, and they are even healthier or better for us than potatoes!

gigihawaii said...

I like to cook my sweet potatoes in the microwave in a covered dish. Just peel, chop in large pieces, cover in a bowl, and microwave for about 10 minutes. You can add butter, salt and pepper to it. I don't mash it, and just eat it as chunks.

Linda Kay said...

Love sweet potatoes, whether candied, baked, mashed, etc.

Em Parkinson said...

I like them in a stew with chorizo and lots of chilli!

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

My kids grew up on sweet potatoes, as did I because we grew our own. I use cinnamon and a little brown sugar to flavor mine.

Carletta said...

I used to only eat them in casseroles at holidays and then my son often ordered them when we would all go out to eat instead of a regular potato.
Hubby and I are now baking them in the microwave and then adding a little butter and cinnamon when they are done. Now, I'd almost rather have them than regular ones. :)

Gail Dixon said...

Sweet potatoes are served often in the south, but I have to say I've never been a huge fan. This recipe looks wonderful, though, and I know the sweet potato is healthier to eat. Thank you!

Rose said...

I bet my husband would like this...it doesn't appeal to me, mom used to place them in an iron skillet and bake them with the skin on in the oven. I don't remember what else she did or what I did after they were out, but I did like them. And I like a few bites of candied sweet potatoes every now and then.

Bethany Carson said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Sweet potatoes can be very good, and they grow excellently here in Iowa. They hardly need to be weeded because their vines are so strong, and the tubers can grow to giant proportions--not to mention, the plants also have beautiful leaves. My family has found we like sweet potato pie even more than pumpkin pie!

SweetMarie said...

I love sweet potatoes! my grandmother told me that I should eat them often because they are so good for you! thanks for the reminder. :)
happy week to you!

Valerie said...

I love potatoes but have never tried a sweet so I can't really give an opinion, but the fact that it is sweet kinda puts me off. I do admire you for experimenting with foodstuff ... I'm really lazy and always stick to the tried and tested.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We both enjoy sweet potatoes, and know about their benefits too, Denise. Just today we had spoken to a friend who adds peanut butter to mased sweet potatoes to give them a nutty flavor.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I love 'em. And to have them baked in their jackets is a good way too. But of course I add butter and cinnamon and sugar for topping.

ladyfi said...

Mmm - I love sweet potatoes.

Cloudia said...

WE favor Okinawan sweet potatoes that are purple inside! I have some growing on outside my window




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
<3

Linda said...

I'm a fan of sweet potatoes. They're not just for Thanksgiving!

Stephanie said...

I always thought sweet potatoes were the yellow varieties. This looks like yams in color. Either way, love them mashed.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Oh Denise, we eat them here any way you can think of to dish them up. Love them mashed with the nutmeg etc, but one of our most favourites is to roast them, first brushing them with a hint of maple syrup. Yep! delicious! We also like to make chips out of sweet potato for munching on in front of TV - yum!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I bake them every so often, but this sounds really yummy.