Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Adding to a collection

This arrived a couple of days ago.


For Christmas my brother-in-law, niece and her husband gave me a gift certificate from Amazon.  I hadn't added to my dressed-up dog collection in a few years - you can see the others here - and I decided to do just that.  There is actually another one coming which I will share later.  

This one is an English Bull Terrier dressed up as a Templar Knight. I am naming him Alfred.  It seems to fit somehow, although perhaps I should call him Tony.  Tony was a dog my father used to tell me about.  When he was a young boy they had an English Bull Terrier called by that name.  I have a few old photos somewhere of Tony.  I'll have to go on a hunt.  

No, I am definitely naming him Alfred.  I like that name.  It is an Anglo-Saxon name meaning, name of a king, sage, wise, elvin. From the Old English Aelfraed or Alfrid, meaning old peace.

Thank you my sweet family in Germany for adding to my collection.  

Added note 2-6-15: I took another couple of photos of Alfred and my collection.  I have them on the mantle and they are bunched up together for sharing.  I have them a little more spread out than this. Since the first dog that our son bought me they have gotten a little bigger in size starting with Winnie.  With Alfred he is larger than all of them.



There is a bit of a shadow and reflection from me taking the photo so close up.



22 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

So awesome!!! Nice to meet you, Alfred :)

Gill - That British Woman said...

Alfred is a sweet looking guy...

TexWisGirl said...

oh, how funny!

Karen S. said...

Oh my this is just adorable! I'm a big, no major dog fan, but this really rocks my world in the art of dressing your dog! I may stop collecting my brass figure bells for this idea.

Cloudia said...

OK. I gotta ask: Is this a joke?

No? GOOD! Cause I REALLY LOVE THAT!!!!

There are others?!


OH PLEASE SHOW MORE. The very idea is new and delightful to me!


ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
<3

Ginny said...

Your Bull Terrier Knight really makes me smile. And your others are really good! Where do you keep them, do you show them off in a cabinet? What a FUN hobby!! Will you be acquiring dogs from all the countries, or just chose the ones you like?

Don Wood said...

Tony the Terrier but Alfred has a certain ring to it Will you call him Alfie of Fred?

William Kendall said...

He looks quite wise and all knowing.

SweetMarie said...

love it! Alfred is great!

eileeninmd said...

Alfred is wonderful name, I love it!

Rose said...

You could name him Alfred Anthony ???whatever your last name is! Hehehe I do think Alfred is what I would call him, though I love, at least when I was young, I loved the name of Tony. He just looks like an Alfred to me.

Michelle said...

As a dog lover, I like your collection!

Adam said...

that's pretty cool

Bethany Carson said...

You must have a pretty neat collection! He is an interesting-looking creature!

Elephant's Child said...

He is gorgeous. Really, really gorgeous.
And would have put the fear of God into the infidels...

Mascha said...

Wow, so lovely! And I like all the other dogs of your collection

(I have collected any cat and bunny charakters, but it is always random to find a nwe piece for my collection, I cannot buy such things)

Linda said...

Alfred is delightful, Denise, I love it. Aren't gift certificates great? :)

Margaret Adamson said...

Your collection is such fun and I think this new one is very well named.

Debbie said...

hehehe....he looks like an alfred!!!

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Wonderful post and as a lover of dogs and old English anything, I too think it was a fine gift.

I think Patton had this type of bulldog if I'm not mistaken.

Stephanie said...

Cute and the name suits him.

Kay said...

This is such a wonderful collection. I have to agree that Alfred works beautifully.