Thursday, January 15, 2015

SKYWATCH FRIDAY and WILLY-NILLY FRIDAY FIVE


This photo was taken from our hotel room in Norway last summer.







And now for Willy-Nilly Friday Five

In order that they happened.


1)  There are times when I get very distracted to put it mildly.  I have what I call 'brain racing'.  I think my Dad had it also and he was always telling me I took after him.  The older I get the more similarities there are that remind me of my Dad.  A classic with my Dad was when he was dashing down a hill in Torquay many, many years ago.  He went flying, head over heels, and badly broke his ankle, which meant a stay in hospital and forever more setting off alarms whenever he went through customs, with many pat downs during the rest of his lifetime. That was my Dad 'brain racing'.  I can't count how many times when I watched him march miles ahead of us when he had been in this mode, turning around with a puzzled look, wondering why we weren't with him.  Occasionally I do this myself and I can also get very distracted.  This morning I put orange juice in my first and last cup of coffee of the day.  A sign!  I even tried to drink it thinking I may have discovered some interesting concoction like they do at my favorite coffee shop. Yuk, one sip determined it was disgusting!  So, there is no way I am going out, just in case there is any icy patch waiting for me. I am going to sit down for the rest of the day and do absolutely nothing. I am fixing myself a lovely cup of herbal tea and a book is waiting to be read. I have already navigated myself around a couple of sharp knives while chopping up vegetables with no mishaps - pat me on the back please - I made myself concentrate extra hard, and the soup will be ready and waiting for when Gregg gets home. It is in the crockpot and the house is beginning to smell lovely. Thankfully I have already done the housework and I was finished before ten o'clock, again with no mishap.  Another clue should have been when I threw the laundry to be washed over the rail to the bottom of the stairs.  Usually I take it down a little more sedately, in a laundry basket.  Hmmmm.....back to the book as I sip my herbal tea and to look at Theresa's lovely bear with the soulful eyes.

2)  Gregg has been reading a book on Napoleon this week and we have been having lovely discussions in the evenings.  I had no idea Josephine was such a naughty lady.  I mean really!!!  And he was besotted with her poor man.  Unrequited love!   He was sent away from his home in Corsica to school in France when he was a very young boy of eight. He had very few friends and was picked upon because of his accent. Bullying is not a new thing it seems.  It made him a voracious reader, especially of the classics. When he became a general at the age of 23 he relied upon what he had learned from these classics, in dealing with people and in planning his battles. Thanks to Gregg I am in school during the evenings, and loving it. 

3)  The above reminds us of Gigi and George, the lovely couple we met in France last summer, and of George's marvelous collection, miniatures of Napoleon's army, as well as a collection of medallions representing each of Napoleon's generals. I wish I could tell George how much we are enjoying learning more of this famous man, and how impressed we were with his collection.  

4)  If anyone is interested in the book, it is called "Napoleon: A Life" by Andrew Roberts.  I will be reading it after Gregg has finished.  Contrary to what people thought, Napoleon was not an excessively short man.  He was of average size for his day and had a brilliant mind.

5)  Sandra over at MadSnapper introduced us to The Piano Guys this week.  I had never heard of them but have now listened to several songs on YouTube.  I enjoy their music very much.  Thanks Sandra.  

If for some reason you can't access the video, you can go here.


 


My thanks to our hosts of these two fun memes.  You can click on their names below to visit other participants.

35 comments:

  1. What a spectacular sunrise/sunset! The musicians picked a perfect forest setting for their melodies. I wonder if the birds liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sky looks ablaze!

    I tend to have that brain racing sort of thing happen from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous skies.
    I love your wisdom in putting yourself out of harms way for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i did enjoy a few tunes from the piano guys, thanks to sandra. lovely skies and stay safe while you're distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post, Denise.
    I am glad you are still in one piece and are not complaining about broken bones.
    Happy to read your tidbits about Napoleon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures are stunning! It looks like fire coming off the mountains. I follow Sandra as well and she found a good one this time. Well, brain racing does have it's good points. I think it is much better than brain stall or brain fuzz. Must mean your brain is really ALIVE and kicking! I have done lots of things like the coffee/orange juice. But not because of brain racing, more like distraction and just not thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sky is lovely in those shots...and I have been playing with the idea of doing the Willy Nilly 5...I so enjoy reading them.

    Hope the rest of your afternoon, night has been accident free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Napoleon was quite a guy!




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. An amazing sky and a wonderful view from your Norwegian hotel. Your Willy Nilly 5 on Friday post is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice music! I gave the title and author's name to hubby as he is interested in reading about Napoleon.

    Beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful skies and music, Denise.

    www.womenandperspectives.com/2015/01/sky-watch-new-housing-site.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful skies and music. Yes we have to concentrate harder as we get older. It is called presence of mind, thinking about what you are doing not be off with the fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous sky captures, Denise, and I love your header.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the sky, it's wonderful.
    Have a nice Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous skies, Denise! I would sure love to go to Norway someday. The Piano Guys' music is lovely too. What a feeling it must be to play that beautiful music outdoors. I didn't know Josephine was naughty. I did know he loved her, but had to divorce her because he needed an heir. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love those sky pictures. Also, I love The Piano Guys, I could listen to them forever. It's a while now since I posted some of their videos.

    I received an email from you but didn't click on the link just in case.... I did copy and paste the address to see what it was about though. Fortunately I don't need to worry about weight gain!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too have had days you described in #1 on this post, Denise, and the wisdom comes in knowing when to simply stop and go have a cup of tea and read a good book, which one? And, a crockpot os soup is also a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very beautiful captures!
    Stunning frames.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the link to The Piano Guys and I also read Sandra's post and watched the videos...simpky amazing talents. Makes me want to see them perform in concert!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not a reader, but you make me wish I were!!!

    gorgeous images, looking up, it never disappoints!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i have the video playing while I type. i just love this one.. i love the cello and i love violins and piano.. they are just amazing.
    love the two trees in front of the sunset/sunrise...
    after i read number 1 i thought wow we are so much alike. i am my dad's twin and very much like what you are describing.
    then i read number 2 and here is what is me... i would hit bob over the head if he tried to tell me about Napoleon... but the good news is, he would do the same to me...so we are both lucky to have the spouse we have.

    PS it is not just Nappoleon, i don't like history at all. of anyone..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Our sky shots look similar! Hope to get back to blogging more.

    Cheri
    Carolina Mts

    ReplyDelete
  23. #1 You too?
    #2 And neither did I.
    #3 Ah, another collector.
    #4 I'll pass thanks.
    #5 How neat, thanks for sharing.
    Tom The Backroads traveller

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful sky and such fun sharing Denise! I'm afraid if I shared five things about my everyday life people would fall asleep over their computers!

    You made the right decision to stay at home (especially with your weather like it is) on a 'distracted' day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brain racing, now that's a good excuse.....no longer absent minded.

    Good luck with the book. I have admired Josephine for many years owing to her rose garden at Malmaison. The British so admired her, and they let roses destined for her garden pass through the blockade during the napoleonic wars. I had one of her roses in my garden until it died last year... the 'Blanc Double' and it was a sweeties.

    ReplyDelete
  26. yes, there are beautiful sunsets in Norway :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh that sky looks like it is on fire! i have trouble focusing at times too...sometimes i feel like i have so much to do and just don't know where to start...the book sounds interesting, i wonder why he is so known for being short?! thank you for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Denise, I'm doing a bit of a catchup once more with your posts.
    Gorgeous sunset photos - it's always a special part of the day isn't it.

    I enjoyed reading what you had to say too. I empathise with your brain racing tendencies. Know it only too well. Chuckling at your attempts with orange juice... who knows, you may have discovered a new taste sensation!!
    Knives are my problem too, that and so many half-started jobs. Many unfulfilled offers of making a cuppa too.
    Never mind, it's what makes us who we are eh ;D)
    I can also appreciate how you love those book discussions with your dear hubby too.
    Cheers now and thanks for a lovely post xx

    ReplyDelete