Monday, January 5, 2015

Monday Food Post - Lemon Cake

I have no photograph this time as I totally forgot to take one. I made it quite a while ago and was hoping to make it again so I could do just that, but didn't get around to it.  You can see what the original recipe looks like when you click on the link below.  It was delicious!

This is a cake I got off the food network.  It is a recipe from one of my favorite people, Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa.   You can find the original recipe here.  


Lemon Cake

Total time:  1 hour 30 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minuts
Cooking time: 1 hour

Yields 2 8" loaves

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2-1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the glaze:

2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
3-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease and flour 2 (8-1/2 inch by 4-1/4 inch by 2-1/2 inch) loaf pans.  You may also line the bottom with parchment paper if desired.

Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, along with the lemon zest.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.  In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk and vanilla.  Add the flour and buttermilk and vanilla.  Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.  

Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.

When the cakes are done, allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Remove the cakes from the pans and place them on a rack set over a tray or a sheet pan.  Spoon the lemon syrup over them.

Allow the cakes to cool completely.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth.  Pour over the tops of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.


This is another one of those recipes I will only make when we have company coming.  I baked a few extra treats over the holidays that we would not normally eat.  I always feel it makes it all the more special when we don't indulge that often.

25 comments:

  1. Hi Denise,

    Thanks for sharing this, even without the photo it sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!




    Warm ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a wicked temptress. Cakes are NOT on my list at the moment. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds absolutely wonderful! I used to watch her show, I should get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds easy to put together. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another yummy recipe. Thanks for sharing. I will email this one to my mother as she loves anything with lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great recipe for me when my lemon tree is bearing fruit and I have too many lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad the photo was not there otherwise i would have been drooling

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise, your lemon cake sounds delicious.. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Have a happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is about like my mothers lemon layer cake, she made 4 thin layers and drizzled the lemon glaze over all layers and top. she put grated zest in the glaze to.. sounds delish

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds scrumptious!

    I'm so pleased I can comment on your blog today as I was not able to do so yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother would make it in much the same way. It is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds similar to a lemon pound cake ! YUMMY ! Ok I just gained 5 pounds by reading the recipe lol ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful cake, but fattening too with all those ingredients. I agree you are wicked. I agree with Elephant's Child.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes I know I am a wicked temptress and just plain wicked for sharing this recipe. Country Gal just gained 5 lbs., EC and Schmidley made me laugh out loud when I read their comments but I am not laughing in a mean way honestly! Like everyone else I am trying very hard to lose weight and have succeeded, but you know, it's one step forward, two steps back at times, especially with the Thanksgiving and Christmas back to back. I only make 'goodies' when I have company coming when I bring a few old time favorites out. This is one of them. And as for the trying to lose weight, never give up and it's Monday again, a good day to start being good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Denise, sounds great, but I'm staying away from the sweets for the moment...have to get in better shape.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find lemon cake to be very palate cleansing AND tasty!

    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I LOVE lemon cake! Thanks for this yummy sounding recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As soon as I saw it was a RECIPE POST I squinted with one eye - and yep, I knew it was going to be a calorie laden tempting culinary delight by the wicked Denise................I don't know why I stopped by ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. YuM....but I do enjoy a photo ;))))

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a double treat in so many ways! That poem is so true and cute! And something delicious to create too! Double win!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all lemon cake and checked this one and the difference to mine would be I don't know Kosher sugar and would not have buttermilk. It is what we call Lemon Drizzle - my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds so fabulous, but I must get myself turned around before my next ... sigh... blood test.

    ReplyDelete