Monday, January 26, 2015

Monday Food Post - Honey Salmon in Foil

It has been a couple of weeks since I put up a Monday food post, so here I am, trying to get back in the groove. My thanks to Chungah for our delicious meal tonight.  It was an easy dish to do and was on the table 30 minutes from start to finish. You can see her recipe here at 'Damn Delicous'  I enjoy visiting her blog and there are a whole lot of recipes that I want to prepare, so please pop on over.  You will have a great time looking at all those delicious meals.


Honey Salmon in Foil
4 servings

1/4 cup honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 lbs. salmon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Line a baking dish with foil.

In a small bowl whisk together honey, garlic, olive oil, white wine vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.

Place salmon onto prepared baking sheet and fold up all four sides of the foil.

Spoon the honey mixture over the salmon.

Fold the sides of the foil over the salmon, covering completely and sealing the packet closed.

Place into oven and bake until cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.  (Baking time may need to be adjusted depending on the thickness of your salmon).  Fish is cooked when it flakes easily with a fork.

Serve immediately.

Nutritional Facts
 (I always thank the host for including these.)

There are four servings

Amount per serving:

Calories: 511.3
Calories from Fat: 197.1
% Daily Value (see below)
Total fat: 21.9g34%
Saturated Fat: 3.3g17%
Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 161.0mg54%
Sodium: 128.4mg5%
Total Carbohydrate: 18.2g6%
Dietary Fiber: 0.2g1%
Sugars: 17.3g
Protein: 57.9g116%

Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.  Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Fish is one of the few food sources with naturally occurring vitamin D, a vitamin that is most famously known for its bone health.  However, recent research has shown that vitamin D plays a key role in many other parts of the body.  For example, vitamin D is very important for a strong and healthy immune system.

With this meal you get nearly 800 IU of vitamin D per serving. That is more than the minimum daily recommended amount of 600 IU.

Nutritional information provided by Jessica Penner, RD at Smart Nutrition, link here.


What did we think of our meal?  We enjoyed it very much.   To look at the salmon it looks very pale, in comparison to say if you had grilled it and reminds me of the poached salmon my mother used to make.  This was mentioned in Chungah's recipe but as she also said, it tasted delicious.  

I did have to pop it back in the oven because it wasn't quite ready even after 20 minutes.  She was right again when she said that we might have to adjust our cooking time depending on the thickness of the salmon purchased.  For us 25 minutes took care of it.

Gregg doesn't eat salmon.  When we went shopping today he chose cod.  I cooked it the same way as the salmon in its own foil packet and it turned out great.  They cooked in about the same amount of time.

I didn't have any white wine vinegar so I used rice wine vinegar.  

Gregg likes to make his own concoction of cocktail sauce for his seafood and mixed together some ketchup with horseradish sauce.  

I roasted cauliflower and broccoli as a side and topped the salmon with slices of lemon to make it look more attractive.  A few sprigs of parsley would also go well I think.

We don't keep leftovers when it is seafood so we bought smaller pieces of fish than above.  We cut down on ingredients accordingly.

Would we make it again?  Yes, most definitely!

24 comments:

  1. Denise, I love salmon and will have to try this. So true about adjusting cooking times, it depends on the individual oven, and gas and electric are different as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cooked a salmon yesterday and was looking for a new way! This looks wonderful, and I have printed it out to make next time. We eat a lot of salmon, at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good. And simple - which is always a plus. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I must make this too, we both love salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Denise!wow the meal looks delicious! I love salmon and I also want to try it. Thanks for your kind words and visit. I'm doing my best studying languages, so I don't have much time for blogging... :( unfortunately! Wishing you a lovely week and please take care, I heard about the blissard!
    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good - we have a simple way of baking salmon - we also drizzle a little olive oil over some cherry tomatoes and back them as well - delicious!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was away for the weekend and had Salmon. This looks a lovely dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning, Denise.. I love salmon and always enjoy different recipes to try.. I will definitely try this one. Thanks for the review... Have a happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe looks lovely. I have printed it and will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish we liked salmon, but we just don't. My husband is not real crazy about fish at all..but loves seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish we liked salmon, but we just don't. My husband is not real crazy about fish at all..but loves seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I finally bought myself an oven thermometer, and discovered my oven cooked 10-20 degrees cooler than the gauge on top of the range suggested. So now I preheat the oven to match the thermometer and my recipes are turning out better.
    This salmon recipe looks good, but I use a Miso salmon recipe, and as we eat salmon only every couple of weeks, we never grow tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denise, I do love salmon, but I don't want it overcooked, so I'm a bit fussy. 20 minutes sounds like way too long to cook it. I do like the idea of lemon with it, however.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't eat either of those fish, only grouper, red fish or talapia. but i am thinking this could be done with any type fish..

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUMMY!!! I love salmon, and this really looks and sounds like it would be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm definitely going to give this a try. I serve salmon at least once a week, and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had salmon last night but this looks much better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two of my favorites, honey and salmon and cooking things in foil is fun too! I do want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a pretty good meal for those who like seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy I love Salmon but unless Heather cooks it I dont eat. As I type she is in the Kitchen trying to rustle something up. My Brother and his wife have been here this afternoon and everything has gone to pot.
    XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to cook in foil quite a bit -- had forgotten about that. Thanks -- and the recipe sounds delish as yours as always do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great post Denise. Thank you, and it was interesting that it was equally delicious with cod.
    I like the idea of roasted cauliflower and broccoli too - have never tried that :D)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thankfully, we like both salmon and cod so glad go know that this recipe works with either fish. Toasted veggies are always good with seafood too...thanks, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Darn! I wish you lived next door. I would be over every day at dinner time. :-)

    ReplyDelete