Wednesday, January 21, 2015

GOOD FENCES, SKYWATCH FRIDAY AND WILLY-NILLY FRIDAY FIVE

A little early but....

The fence and the sky seem to fit in with Good Fences and SkyWatch Friday.  We were driving through this lovely neighborhood to get to the museum mentioned in my previous post. 


Another of the above house.  I liked the old lamppost which was on the end of the median.


I found the roofs on many of the houses intriguing as they shone so brilliantly in the sunshine.  And of course I loved the gate.


 This photo seems to fit in with both memes....



as does this one.


It is always fun for me to drive through different neighborhoods to see the various designs of houses.






One last one for Theresa's Good Fences as that lovely dog reminded me of Theresa's dogs.


And now a few more sky photos taken near the Nautical Museum.  The statue behind the old mine is a WWII Memorial dedicated to Mariners.  


I am including the explanation below the memorial.  It is written in Norwegian but perhaps if I get any Norwegian visitors they might like to read it.  I did translate it through Google Translate but as I am not sure it is exact I left that out.




The rest are photos I took while walking near the water.













AND NOW FOR WILLY-NILLY FRIDAY FIVE, IN ORDER THAT THEY HAPPENED.

1) I had two overnight guests last weekend.  Neither of them knew each other, it just worked out that their visits coincided.  There would also have been another couple but that didn't come about, even though I was all prepared and would have thoroughly enjoyed seeing them.  It was, however, lovely seeing those I did see, both of whom I don't get a chance to get together with that often and it is always great catching up, one a family member and another an honorary family member.  I didn't have to cook at all as we were all on the go.  One night my friend and I, on our way back to the house, stopped off at the Chinese takeaway which she very kindly treated us to.  While we were waiting for our food we popped along to the store to buy milk and a couple of other groceries, and then a few more stores down, stopped by the coffee shop, sat down and chatted away while drinking our coffee until we thought the food would be ready.  After dinner we watched a couple of movies on the Hallmark Channel.  The family member I mentioned turned up and we also had a chat before everyone went off to bed,  It was a lovely weekend.


2) Gregg was away as he spent the same weekend with family. A couple were visiting them, relatives of my father-in-law.  Gregg brought them straight up to Washington DC for a quick sight-seeing trip before they caught their train home. This was the couple I was hoping to meet and I was sorry I missed them, but maybe one day we will have another opportunity.  They gave Gregg home-grown grape jelly and honey from their farm, which will be a lovely treat.  After our house guests had left, a few hours later Gregg came home and I enjoyed hearing about his weekend.  


3) I went to the opera to see a performance of The Merry Widow with my friend and another we met with at the theater.  As I have mentioned before, these are live televised performances from the New York Met. I would love to see an honest-to-goodness live performance while actually sitting with the Met's audience, but these satellite performances are great and you get to listen to interviews with the performers during intermission.  I always enjoy those, and seeing behind the scenes. Oh my goodness, it was a wonderful production with the most marvelous stage settings and gorgeous costumes, and a real flashback to my childhood.  My dad was an excellent hobby pianist and played in his spare time.  It was a good way for him to relax from police work and my mom, my sister and I used to love listening to him, and my dad would invite us to sing along, with my sister and I taking turns flipping the pages of his music book.  He also had a very good voice, and much to my surprise today I recognized many of the pieces that dad used to play - and sing - and I even remembered the words even though this is going back over 50 plus years.  I didn't realize until years later that this is how I developed my love of opera.  I want to treat myself to a DVD of this particular performance some time.  Hopefully there will be one out there because these performers were definitely my favorite.  And another thought, little wonder that I enjoy the television series "Inspector Morse" as he always reminded me of my dad. Inspector Morse was a lover of opera also and the actor John Thaw played his role well.


4). I had a few uncomfortable moments thinking I was not going to get to see the opera, because the night before when I needed to do grocery shopping for my house guests, I couldn't get the car to start. My battery had died.  I hadn't driven it for a while, we have been going around in Gregg's van. Lesson learned, remember to turn the car over, give it a run and don't leave it sitting for any extended length of time right?  Thank goodness for AAA.  They sent someone out in half an hour and he jump started it for me with that little magic box they carry around. I didn't realize it was going to be that simple. The young man who came here was a peach, very friendly.  Also the lady who answered the phone was from Ireland and had been over here since 1950. We had a lovely chat about our homes across the pond.  So yay for AAA.  Lovely people and they really came through. 


5) The hall closet door dropped off, again!  I was very happy to see Gregg arrive home, no not because of the closet door but methinks there is yet another trip up to the hardware store in our future.  We are finding how hard it is to get the right attachments to 30 year old doors as sizes are ever so slightly different.  Nothing quite fits.  One more try to get them right, or we might be having to get a whole new set of doors and have them fitted professionally.  We'll see!




Thank you to all our hosts of the three memes I am participating in today.  Their buttons are on my side-bar.




41 comments:

  1. loved all the homes and great fences and gates! very stylish and clean looking! the harbor photos are lovely, too. glad you enjoyed having company (and gregg got to see visitors, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother loved the opera; I don't know if she ever got to one of those satellite broadcasts in theatres. For many years she would listen to an opera from the Met broadcast on one of the radio networks here.

    Lovely houses, and that statue is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely neighborhood! I like that lamp post, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to an opera! But I have been to the ballet. LOVE that lamp post. And the gorgeous house almost looks like a temple or Mosque.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my, you have had a lot of things going on to write about.. i enjoyed your willy nilly stories of doors and visitors and opera.. those fences are fantastic and make mine look boring. we have nothing spectacular like these here. that house with the dome is wonderful and i like that pirate ship.. great post. enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh I may forget all that I wanted to mention. I'm a big fan of the Hallmark channel and their movies! The first house ranks top of my favorite list. Incredible house, and the fence gate and all, stunning actually! But that old lamppost has to be the best one I've ever seen! What a crafty design it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Color Line!
    You take us to the best places, D!



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy, you have had a busy time with company, nice food gifts and dinner out. Love all the images!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness....I LOVE those houses. And that lamp post is wonderful. It is too hard to tell all I like about them...just know I really enjoyed seeing them. I have never seen one even close to that lovely.

    And I enjoyed your 5 random thoughts...I like Inspector Morse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That black dog reminds me of my mutt, Lani, in New York City. So cute and loveable.

    We love opera, too, but this season we decided not to renew our subscription. We prefer the symphony more, because we are instrumentalists, not singers. David played the clarinet and I the violin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful images of Oslo. I recognized the city from the skyline. My husband was in the Norwegian Navy and served on board a mine layer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have not been to an opera but took an appreciation class in college. I would love to go. That jelly and honey sound good. Your pictures are so sharp and clear. Lovely post, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love all your fence and gate images. such a pretty little town.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! That is one impressive house and fence in the first shot and you have included many other lovely fences as well. I was at The Merry Widow video link and thought it was fabulous. I take a group up to these operas, ballets, plays, art and museum events. They are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love going on excursions with you. Megathanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You certainly do have an eye for a good photo. You've shared some super captures on this post.

    Thanks for visiting my blog recently. Whilst there you expressed an interest in "Rat Snakes' Eyes". I have today posted a close up of them if you fancy a look.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That lamp post is really awesome. I've never seen anything like it. What fun to have so many guests. And yes, we've done the same thing with our van and have had to call AAA too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoy looking at different houses in different places. These are beauties. You have been having fun with friends. It is good for your health and well being I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Denise, I love all the houses and fences.. And the doggie is cute! The photos of the harbor and boats are wonderful.. Thank for for AAA, we have used them a few times.. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A nice double post, Denise. The houses and fences looked like great photo subjects and perfect weather too. Yes,thank goodness for AAA and I just renewed today for my 19th year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Unique neighborhood. Nice change from the usual.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please see your photo on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are the first black tile roofs I've ever seen (rooves just doesn't work). They sure do catch the eye, and since they are so shiny they probably will last a century or two.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Morse always listened to a opera that fit his 'mystery'.
    For example he was listening to Madame Butterfly with this week's mystery...Second Time Around. The plot of Butterfly is about a woman whose lover leaves her and never returns. The Morse mystery was about the death of a little girl whose mother was involved with a mystery man who never marries her.

    Operas are sad. I had season tickets to the Opera House at the Kennedy Center for years, but cancelled them because David didn't like them. He says he did, but when he fell asleep during the Bartered Bride...a very noisy opera, I said that's it. Now he listens to the Met operas on Saturday afternoons and wants me to listen with him, but I won't. Opera must be live or its crap.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The ornate lamp and home in the background are genteel and lovely. How full your days have been and how brilliant to see the Merry Widow live on the big screen in a televised event at a local theatre. This is a great way to open up a music experience that is shared by a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like those first grand buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can't say which one I like more. But stuck got that street lantern, must have been a gas lantern in the old days :)
    Wonderful pictures - show more :))
    Have a great day
    【ツ】Knipsa

    ReplyDelete
  28. The houses in your post remind me of certain suburbs in Auckland where in use to live - brings back memories :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely designs of the different houses. Great series.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Enjoyable photos! That sunshine looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! I am very impressed by those fences. The homes look pretty good, too! Glad you enjoyed your busy weekend, I'd be whacked after all that activity.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Some great photos here! I really like the old lamppost!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What great photos, Denise. That neighborhood is full of beautiful homes for sure... Reminds me of Charleston a little... Gorgeous fences and gates.

    I am glad you got your car started with some AAA help... AND--it sounds like you had a great time with your friends. The opera sounds marvelous.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful neighborhood! Beautiful houses.
    Enjoying your shots, Denise.
    www.womenandperspectives.com/2015/01/coming-sun.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a lovely neighborhood and the the boats...wow. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  36. oh wow, that is a beautiful neighborhood!! i used to love driving around with my mom looking at houses. sounds like a great weekend for all of you...bummer about the closet doors, hope you find something that works rather than a whole new set! have a great weekend and thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great post and variety of fences. However as I spent almost 10 years working in Norway I got side tracked. Pleased to see that 25 years later I can still read most of that inscription.

    ReplyDelete
  38. We always loved walking around and exploring neighborhoods ... you can learn so much that way and its fun thinking about what it would be like to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You really had a most interesting and enjoyable weekend. Too bad that you couldn't have just filled your house to capacity and had a crowd to have a good time with.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You had quite a wonderful weekend, aside from having to have the car jumped off (but at least that went well!) and having the closet door fall off! Sounds like your visits were great. LOVE that first house and the lamp-post! Really awesome! All the photos were wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete