Monday, January 5, 2015

For the love of our children.....


"Teaching Your Child Through Play"

I tried to teach my child with books
He gave me only puzzled looks.

I tried to teach my child with words.
They passed him by often unheard.

Despairingly, I turned aside.
"How shall I teach this child?" I cried.

Into my hand he put the key,
"Come," he said, "play with me."

~Author Unknown~



To clarify, I had a great love of books that was passed down to me by my parents.  When I was very young they read to me all the time and because of it I developed a love of reading, and loved learning new words, still do.  My own interpretation of this poem is that it is letting us know a child needs its parent to be involved not only in their education, which is obviously extremely important, but in their playtime too.  I fully believe that playtime with a child is a stepping stone, a building block to knowledge.  Those books will be picked up willingly, and so will words be learned, and so many other things.  I would dearly love to hear your own interpretations of this poem if you have the time.