Thursday, December 11, 2014

SKYWATCH FRIDAY AND WILLY NILLY FRIDAY FIVE

(click on the blue link to learn more)

So tranquil now and hard to believe two major battles took place during the American Civil War.









For Willy Nilly Friday Five as they happened in order.

1)  Would you like to find out how you make homemade Nutella?  A food blog called "Plain Chicken" has a recipe here.  She also provides you with a link to download free Christmas labels on the same page but if you go here it will take you to a pdf file for you to print out.

2) One day I went shopping and bumped into Georgia, an English Bulldog.  I thought immediately that she must be a service dog as they are not allowed in supermarkets normally, as we well know.  I have seen service dogs here on the rare occasion.  As they are a working dog, we know not to interact with them. Their attention is entirely for their owners who need them, and they should not be distracted from that job.  Georgia's lady said she was a therapy dog for people with Post Traumatic Stress, and that it was okay to give her a fuss, that she enjoyed it.  We fussed Georgia for several minutes. I could see she would be very good at her job, as she had the sweetest temperament.  Well done for doing such a worthwhile job Georgia, I love you for it.  Your lady human is also very kind to volunteer her time.  Well done Lady human!










3) Santa Claus paid an early visit to our neighborhood this week.  Gregg was coming back into the neighborhood and saw him walking across someone's front yard, in full regalia.  He waved at Santa and Santa waved back, singing ho, ho, ho, and asked him if he had been a good boy this year and Gregg said yes I have, but my wife has been a bit naughty.  Hmmmm.......someone might be getting a lump of coal in his stocking for telling porkies.  A clue, it won't be me!

4) Two in one here, the first was when our son came over again one morning mid week on his day off, always a joy and the time passes all too quickly.  We watch as Gregg cooks breakfast. I sit at the kitchen table with son and the three of us catch up.  Gregg loves to cook breakfast and we appreciate this.  We pitch in taking orange juice out of the fridge, putting cutlery on the table, taking plates and glasses out of the cupboard.  Simple, ordinary things but fun to do together.  The chef eventually gets to sit down as we all enjoy the delicious breakfast he has cooked.  

Also friends were invited to spend the night as they had to travel some distance for a get-together that morning at another dear friend's house.  It was great seeing them as it has been a while.  Another friend joined us and we all drove to yet another friend's house for a pre-Christmas party-luncheon. 


Arriving at our friend's house....


and leaving.



Wonderful on both occasions and always heartwarming to be with people you love and enjoy being with.

5) Gregg and I like to go for walks in different places as we need variety, and as you can see from my photos at the start of this post, we went to Manassas Battlefield Park.  It is quite hilly and once we have made our loop we get a great cardiovascular work out. It was dreadfully cold. When I checked the temperature on our return home the low was 28 degrees F.  I could well believe it. This is the first time I felt like bundling up against the bitter cold. It was windy making it feel much colder and it's not even winter yet!  The good news is that when we got back to the car we weren't exactly toasty, but at least we weren't shivering, and thank goodness for car heaters.


That's it, bye for now!




My thanks to our hosts of these two fun memes.  You can click on their names below to visit other participants, and their logo's are in my side-bar.

33 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

nicely wrapped up duo! love the bull dog. :)

Kathie Brown said...

Denise, Love your new header photo. Also, the battlefield has such somber beauty. You sure do get around! Love the photo of you waving good-bye!

Felicia said...

the battlefield images are beautiful.

you look cold in the last image.

Ginny said...

The outside of your house is beautiful!! And so is Georgia, I love her scarf. In your first picture, I love the way the sun is shining on the wagon wheel. I gotta hand it to you for walking even though it is better cold!

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful skies, Denise. And Georgia is a sweet doggie.. You are the brave one to go out walking on this cold day.. Wonderful photos, enjoy your evening!

Stephanie said...

You guys look cold! Love the sky shots and those cannon shots. Beautiful homes and cute dog!

Elephant's Child said...

Love your skies - and your willy-nilly magic too...

Photo Cache said...

what a beautiful post and i love the victorian house.

Worth a Thousand Words

Jim said...

Wonderful skies.

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful photography! and Love, love, love the dog!

Happy Weekend,
artmusedog and carol

Michelle said...

Love that lit up porch :)

Cloudia said...

"Bye for now"

How cute!


One can sense the ghosts in your battlefield photos, D.



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
<3

Amy Franks said...

I like photo 3 think that's my favourite of the sunset coming through the trees

William Kendall said...

Such serenity at Bull Run. Very unlike those two battles on that ground.

Georgia's a sweetie. Bulldogs are my favourite kind of dog.

Linda Kay said...

I am very glad to be warm, not bundled up like you! Nice post!

Mama Zen said...

Fabulous pictures!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Looks like you guys are having a blast! I love the shots of Manassas. Never been, and would really like to visit.

Linda said...

You are well dressed for the weather. I love the Bull Dog! :)

Mascha said...

Beautiful photos from the quiete battlefield!
So cute dog, it must be nice to have such a helper...
And have friends and guests (sometimes I wish that too)
Have a great weekend :-)

Lea said...

Great sky watch photos! Love the dog! Friends and family gatherings are always such fun!
Have a great week-end!
Lea

Indrani said...

Beautiful series!
Have a happy weekend!

Jane said...

Great set of photos, love the houses too. Thanks for sharing :)

Valerie said...

Your multi-topic posts are a joy to read, Denise. Love your friends house, and of course the dog. I believe they are incredibly soft hearted when needs be.

Tom said...

#1 I'll pass, but thanks for offering.
#2 A face only a mother could love.
#3 It has been cold up here, please Santa bring me several tons of coal.
#4 I cook breakfast every morning.
#5 The cold makes you tuff they say.
Enjoy the season. Tom The Backroads Traveller

Tanya Breese said...

We haven't been to Manassas yet but one of these days. What a beautiful place for a walk! Oh Georgia is precious! We saw a dog at Kroger the other day and were wondering about her because she didn't have a service jacket on so I wonder if she is doing the work Georgia does...hmmm, oh that Gregg, telling a "porkie" lol...I love that term, have never heard it before. Is it an English saying? How nice to get a weekly visit from your son. Special memories being made! Nice to see friends and I love their house all decorated. I have plans to see a couple of dear friends for coffee over Christmas break, can't wait to catch up with them! Cute picture of you both all bundled up...it sure have been cold! And WINDY! Wind is still blowing this morning. Have a great weekend and thank you for linking :)

Maggid said...

your photos look like a movie set . . . so beautiful, makes it challenging to believe an actual war was once raging . . . It's the first time I've seen a Therapy Bull Dog . . she sounds sweet . . . talk about sweet . . i really like you waving at us . . . Happy Friday!

orvokki said...

Intersting and nice photos.
Have a happy weekend.

Marie said...

Very nice Willy Nilly Fri Five! Beautiful photos of Manassas! You two look so cute all bundled up! I am so glad they have service dogs for PTSD. I have wondered if we should apply for one for my hubby. He really misses our precious Rhodesian Ridgeback, and I know it would do him so much good to have another dog. Glad you got to to visit with friends...this time of year, that can be such a special treat.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wonderful place to walk and you had a great week! Brrrr though!

Terri Buster said...

Well, there is another cutie patootie..I don't know how in the world I missed ever seeing one of these adorable bulldogs, but I did until my daughter adopted one.

gigihawaii said...

You have the right idea about getting exercise by simply walking around scenic sights.
Way to go!

Sandra said...

thanks for the smiles, i started grinning when i saw the bye bey photo. love it and that dog warmed the cockles of my heart. would love to hug and pet him... Manassas makes me sad, all those lives lost in that beautiful place.

Kay said...

You do live in a lovely neighborhood, Denise. I can see you're having a fabulous holiday season. We have not done much this season. Our lives have been tied up in family things. I'm looking forward to 2015 when things can slow down a bit.