Wednesday, December 24, 2014

ONE DAY TO GO AND.....

we are all prepared for our company.  In fact they will have been here for a couple of days.  I have been adding posts ahead of time, just like this one, as I knew this week would be a busy one, and I didn't want to miss any time with our family.  



A few days ago Gregg and I went into Occoquan.  It's a cute little town and you can read a time line if you go to this link.   However, for Tanya's Willi-Nilly Friday Five I will tell you five things here about its history and you can read more at the site if interested.

1)  The Dogues, an Alonquian tribe, inhabited this area in the early 1600s.   In the Dogues dialect Occoquan means "At the end of the water".  


2)   In 1608 John Smith was the first European to visit the area and record his findings.


3)  In 1681 the Dogue tribe left the Occoquan area.  No record of where the tribe migrated to exists.  It is assumed they were absorbed into other Algonquin tribes where areas were less settled.


4)   In 1736 the first tobacco warehouse was built.


5)   In 1804 the town of Occoquan was formally established by Nathaniel Ellicott.




We were treated to many wonderful songs performed by a local choral group, which you can hear in the video above.  This little cutie was part of the choir.  I think he was the Baritone! 


We had lunch at The Blue Arbor Cafe which you can see at this link.  We probably don't frequent Occoquan as often as other places during the year.  Occoquan is full of shops and restaurants and our destinations are usually local parks and nature reserves.  But when we go shopping for something special it is a fun place to walk around.  



More often than not we head for The Blue Arbor Cafe, though we have eaten at the larger restaurants also.  Our favorite, however, is this small cafe and we love its ambiance.  It is like a little tea room American-style.  We had a cup of soup - a tomato bisque - and a sandwich.  My sandwich was The Varsity which was roast beef on marbled rye and Gregg had turkey and avocado.  Both were very good and the young lady who took care of us was a love.  The staff here have always been friendly. 




Another photo out front. 



Our main destination today was The Golden Goose, a delightful shop that I have enjoyed on other visits.  I have collected ornaments for the tree since son's first birthday, but hadn't purchased any this year and was beginning to wonder if I would.  Well, The Golden Goose took care of that.  I saw cute bird ornaments which I shall enjoy hanging on the tree.  You can check out the shop here.  The following photos were taken outside.  The place was crowded.  It has several rooms full to the brim with holiday items and the place was packed.  Here again the staff are very friendly and helpful.



Large wreathes every window.  




I love this place.




These are relatively new condominiums.  I wouldn't mind living in one of these.








We are almost at the car now but we never leave without going down to the river..... 



but first we have to check out the gazebo.






and finally we join a few feathered friends.  



There were also ducks and geese but out of sight.  Today I was very taken with the seagulls sitting in a row.  You can see the bridge we drive over before making a right into the town.



Those seagulls were something else and they sure did make me smile.




but they had had enough of me checking them out.....




and flew off but I didn't feel so bad as.............



they soon settled back at the spot where they were before..........


and we left them in peace.   "See you next year you guys!"







I am again linking with several memes today.  You can click on the links below to see other participants.  A big thank you to all our hosts.




38 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you're having such a great time, Denise. Those seagulls make quite a sight. The town is also very quaint and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to eat at The Blue Arbor! Then walk through the street and go in the shops. LOVE the chatting gulls! Wishing you a wonderful Christmas! See you after Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an interesting place to explore especially with a camera!

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only hours to go here. And not many hours at that.
    Have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy your guests (as you will).

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI that was lovely to wander round with you looking at all the beautiful Christmas decoration etc and I loved the gulls and their chat. Have a great day tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our local gulls line up. I often wonder why. Another enjoyable post, Denise, with an insight into another local town. It looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice village. I can see why you like it. The gazebo is decorated very nice for Christmas. Loved the captions on that last bird picture. Have a great time with your company, and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post, Denise. What a cute place to visit! Merry Christmas with your company!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Denise...looks like you all had a wonderful time together. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny captions on the gulls, and the place is decorated beautifully for Christmas. And that is such a cute puppy!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful decorations and celebrations! I just LOVE that doggie sweater! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a cute town!! loved it all. thanks (in advance) for linking to good fences! blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful post Denise... I wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas and a fantastic New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a very Merry Christmas XX Don and Heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post, Denise, I love all your photos. The bulldog is delightful, the seagulls are fun and your header is gorgeous. I would have enjoying seeing all the things in your photos, but thanks to you, I have. :)

    Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These photos made me smile. What a lovely town that is and so festive, too.
    Merry Christmas, Denise and Gregg.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for letting me tag along on your adventure- what a pretty place! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the carols and of course the precious pup is my favorite singer.. the town is so very beautiful, i would love to wander the streets. excellent photos of a really great town

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post. Loved the carols - not so sure about the dog! Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was certainly a pleasant place to spend a few hours just before Christmas. Have a Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, you were so organized to prepare posts in advance. I am in awe! So much warmth and good cheer and some wonderful photographs too in your Christmas Eve post. I'm thinking from the choice of pink apparel that the doggie chorister may have been a soprano or an alto, but one never knows :) I hope you and your loved ones have the most wonderful Christmas ever, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Merry Christmas Denise. Your photos remind me of Portsmouth, NH

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous post of images! Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. wonderful series of images. love the seagulls and their dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Merry Christmas and what wonderful pictures and history to share thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope you have a Merry Christmas tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great place...I love that shop....Merry Christmas Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks like a charming little place!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such great pics. I hope that you are having a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The Blue Arbor Cafe has a gorgeous, welcoming entrance and the baritone looks like a mighty singer - when he's in the mood. Wonderful series of Christmas photos and views round the water.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is a delightful tour of Occoquan. Love the gulls in a row and they do flap their wings and then settle back down.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awww I love the baritone guy. The Blue Arbor Cafe is one of the most charming images I have seen in Blogsville this year. This is why Christmas is my favorite time of year. Cheer all around.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello Denise, the cafe and the store both look charming, I would love to visit them.. I love the cute doggie too. And the lineup of gulls is great, they must know where to wait for food. Great photos.. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks like a charming place to visit. I love the gulls. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Enjoy your company! Occoquan looks like a great place to shop or just browse all the unusual stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I thoroughly enjoyed your Friday Five because hubby & I are so in love with Virginia history (he being a native and me an adopted native and we've lived in the area a lot over the years). Enjoyed your seagulls as well, and the lovely restaurant! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a handsome bulldog! And I love the gull thought bubbles.
    ~

    ReplyDelete