Monday, December 1, 2014

Monday Food Post - Roasted Sausages, Potatoes, Onions, etc.


The etc's are carrots and mushrooms.  I got the original recipe at Food.com here.  It included peppers and as neither of us like them very much I added our favorite veggies, just threw them in.  It is comfort food at its best for a cold, wintry night.  The aroma in the house was very welcoming.

Roasted Sausages, Potatoes, Onions, Carrots and Mushrooms

Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour

4 servings

1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 large onion, cut into wedges, how many is up to you
1 packet of sliced mushrooms (I got the family size from CostCo's)
1 pound bag baby carrots
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound Sweet Italian Sausage

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

Spread the vegetables in a single layer in one or more large shallow roasting pans; do not crowd them or they will not brown.  Use two pans if necessary.

Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Stir well.

Roast the vegetables but not the mushrooms, stirring once or twice, for 45 minutes.

Cut the sausage into 1-1/2 inch pieces.

Add the sliced mushrooms to the veggies and  place the sausages on the top.

Bake between 20 and 30 minutes longer, or until the sausages and vegetables are cooked through.

Serve hot.  

(Be careful when you take the pan out of the oven.  It is obviously going to be red hot.  I found this out when I brushed my hand against one of the handles without an oven mitt.  A little reminder to take things slowly and be extra cautious.)


~~~~~~

This was a delicious meal for a cold night.  The vegetables came out perfect and we both said that even though we enjoyed the sausage, this would be one of those meals we could easily go meatless.  

You can add your own favorite vegetables to this dish, but depending on what they are it might alter the length of cooking time.  

Because I added the extra veggies we had leftovers and they will be heated up tomorrow and enjoyed all over again.


16 comments:

  1. I'm thinking you must be a great cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmmmmmm! this looks fantastic.. the smell would be as good as the eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgosh that looks so good and am going to try this yummy recipe idea thank you so much for the share. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delicious, perfect for a winter day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks scrumptious, moist and divine! Thanks so much for sharing, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look yummy and I think roasted veggies, meatless, would be a real good idea after all the stuffing I ate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like my kind of meal, and cooking !
    Stick-to-your ribs food, perfect.
    I absolutely love carrots, I could eat them with every meal :)
    Thank you for sharing Denise.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel all warm just looking at it all. Delicious too I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oohhhh this looks so good, and very creative!!!

    I love sweet sausage and the addition of potatoes, what a great idea!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete