Monday, December 8, 2014

All about Teddy, again....with a question.

First of all, I have been told by Elephant Child (thank you EC) that Blogger has 'blessed' me with word verification even though I have my settings on none.  I have been noticing this with many other bloggers as I am sure you have.  EC told me to set my comments to embedded, but I thought I already had it set up that way.  Then I discovered that you can just go ahead and ignore the verification.  I think I found that out from Cloudia at Comfort Spiral.  She said it will publish anyway.  Hopefully everyone will be back to normal very soon.

Thank you friends!




"My Teddy Bear"

I have a little teddy bear
Who is always there for me.
When I need someone to talk to
He listens quietly.

He doesn't get mad or yell,
Or ever puts me down.
He never gets jealous or envious
And never has a frown.

When I need a hug he's there
Waiting with open paws.
His eye is broken, his arm is ripped,
But I don't mind his flaws.

I love my little teddy bear
With his cute little face,
And if we were more like my Teddy Bear,
The World would be a better place.

~Author unknown~



That is my raggedy old teddy bear in the top picture.  He was given to me by my parents when I was a year old.  I carried him everywhere, ignored all dolls with girly clothes and he became my constant companion.  When I became too old to drag him around he was still never very far away, and I could never ever part with him even now.  He has appeared on this blog several times since I started it in 2008 along with his story, and I share him once again to go with the poem.  

The better dressed teddy bear was standing in the doorway of a Harrod's off-shoot store at Heathrow Airport.  I liked him enough to take a photo but which teddy do you think I prefer?  He is a very nice looking teddy bear yes, but fancy clothes do not a nice teddy make, one's inner heart does and my teddy has the biggest heart of all. No contest right?  He was a lovely role model, my old teddy bear.

Anyhow, my question is, do you have a favorite memory of a toy from your childhood?  If so I would love to hear about it.

29 comments:

Cloudia said...

Our blog-o-sphere is sort of a teddy bear's picnic!




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
<3

TexWisGirl said...

i still have my first stuffed animal toy - also a teddy bear - a small one with a music box in it. it was put in my crib to help me fall asleep.

William Kendall said...

Not me personally, but one of my brothers had a Winnie the Pooh bear that was well worn and well loved. Mom stitched him up years later and he's now the proud possession of my brother's daughter.

Al said...

My favorite childhood "toy" was my first tape deck, as I could finally record and listen to music I loved! (My dogs are my constant companions these days, they never complain and love whatever I do.)

Elephant's Child said...

Battered bears win hands down.
As a small child my parents decided that it was time I had a stuffed toy. They took me with them to choose it. My father had one preference and my mother another - so they lined up a selection (including their choices) and let me choose. I chose pink puppy (neither of their choices). They shuffled them around and tried again. Pink puppy.
So he came home with us, and went everywhere with me. After the nurses sterilised him after I threw up on him in hospital he was no longer pink - but pink puppy he remained. And he still lives with me.
I notice that blogger has hit you with word verification. If you want it to stop changing your comments to embedded should fix it.
Sorry for the loooong comment.

Ginny said...

I am so glad you still have him!! I think most of us do not, and that includes me. I had a pink bunny, of course named Bunny. I kept him even when he got matted and lost an eye. I guess he got thrown away, wish I still had him.

Adam said...

The first bear looks a lot like Bobo, a teddy bear Mr. Burns lost on the Simpsons.

Stephanie said...

Yes I have a teddy bear that was given to me when I was little by my parents. I still treasure it. Love that poem and the images.

Ginny said...

Forgot to say, I LOVE your header.

Linda said...

I think teddy bears are something we never grow out of. Cute post. :)

Susan said...

Hi Denise, your childhood teddy is just lovely and I really enjoyed the poem you chose.
I can't remember what my childhood toy was but later on in life I took to making teddy bears for a while.
Cheers now :D)

Margaret Adamson said...

Now this is now not said but I loved a woollen gollywog. Love the first shot

Valerie said...

Big smile today, Denise, anything to do with teddies brings it on. Thank you. No teddy, in fact no keepsakes from childhood for me. I'm not sure if it was because of the war years or my mother's knack for giving all my stuff away.

As for Blogger... I haven't had the 'verification' thingy but it has stopped sending notification of comments on the blog. It's all very frustrating.

eileeninmd said...

Cute post and poem on your teddy bear, Denise. I love the adorable toon photos..Have a happy day!

Don Wood said...

Give Ted a hug fom us, Heather still has two teds on her bed. I hope you are doing OK I am sorry I havent dropped by I have been a bit down. If I dont speak again have a great Christmas.Don and Heather XXX

Linda Kay said...

Such a cute little poem. Thanks!

Marie said...

I remember that poem and have always liked it. Your teddy bear shots are so cute. I've been seeing the Word Verification for a while too, and figured they just did an over-ride on us to make us use it. Fortunately the numbers you have to retype are less long and less hard to read, so I've been doing it, but I had no ide it would print your comment without doing it.

Cranberry Morning said...

The old teddy is REAL, just like the Velveteen Rabbit, because he is much loved. :-) Do like the little engineer outfit on the other teddy, though. My favorite toy was a doll named Dody (no idea why). I had her until someone pulled her head off. Probably a brother. Dody was never the same without her head. :-)

SweetMarie said...

How wonderful that you still have your bear. I do have a couple of dolls that are dear to me. :)
I LOVE your duck, so cute!
Happy holidays!

Debbie said...

such cute images and yes, we are all in the same boat!! thanks for the info, I have just been ignoring it!!!

Down by the sea said...

Your teddy looks so well loved.I still have mine too it looks old and worn like me! Sarah x

EG CameraGirl said...

I still have the teddy I was given on my first Christmas. Growing up I told Teddy EVERYTHING!

Tanya Breese said...

oh i love this!! and yes, i saw where cloudia had mentioned just ignoring the word verification and yes, it has been publishing anyway!

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

What a beautiful question! I do. I had a bunny I took to bed. It had straw in it. Gawd I'm old!
But my fave was a black doll, 3' tall, my Nanny gave me!

Karen S. said...

Oh yes indeed, my most treasured then and now is my stuffed puppy dog. Although, I still do have all my baby dolls, and my one and only Barbie doll from my grandmother, a well as every book or record she ever gave me!

Kathie Brown said...

Denise, I love your cute old Teddy bear and the poem. I have an old Raggedy Ann who lost her hair and I made her some new from and old sock. She's falling apart, but I still have her!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love your old teddy best of course! And love your cartoon app...so fun.

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful comments friends. I enjoyed learning about your childhood toys. So many of us have fond memories of them. Thank you for sharing!

Kay said...

My teddy was more like a panda in coloring. I can still see him to this day. I think everybody could use a little comforting from a teddy.