Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The National Gallery of Art, Washington DC - Part 2

If you missed my first post about the Gallery, you can see it here.


The Emperor Napoleon in His Study at The Tuileries
Oil on Canvas, 1812
Jacques-Louis David - French, 1748-1825


Misse and Luttine 
Oil on canvas, 1729
Jean-Baptiste Oudry - French, 1686 - 1755





Madame Moitessier
Oil on canvas, 1851
Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres
French, 1780-1867





Family Portrait - Oil on canvas 1756
Francois Hubert Drouais 
French, 1727-1756




The Marquise de Pezay, and the Marquise de Rouge with Her Sons Alexis and Adrien - Oil on Canvas, 1787
Elisabeth Louise Vigee Le Brun - French, 1755-1842







Warwick Castle, England
Oil on canvas, 1857
Jasper Francis Cropsey
American, 1823-1900







Master John Heathcote 
Oil on canvas, c. 1771/1772
Thomas Gainsborough
British, 1727-1788











The Hon. Mrs. Thomas Graham
Oil on canvas, c. 1775/1777
Thomas Gainsborough
British, 1727-1788






Miss Juliana Willoughby
Oil on canvas, 1781-1783
George Romney
British, 1734-1802




I have so many more photos but I think I will stop here and share the rest another time.  

22 comments:

Cloudia said...

Thanks for the excellent tour





ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Linda said...

How nice, Denise! I really love these types of paintings. It is like time standing still. Thanks so much for sharing.

Ginny said...

Mrs. Graham, I can get a real sense of how she looked. Napoleon's outfit was for sure not becoming, so it must be really realistic. I think my favorites are the dogs and the little girl.

Margaret Adamson said...

These are so beautiful paintings and I am so surprised you were allowed to photograph them but glad you did.

Marit Helene Gåsland said...

Oh so beautiful artwork, amazing images.
Have a nice day, Marit.

Bill Nicholls said...

Impressive paintings, though I don't think Warwick castle looks like that now

eileeninmd said...

Denise, thank you for the lovely tour. So many beautiful paintings.. Have a happy day..Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Roy Norris said...

When you consider the quality of equipment, Oils etc they had to use in those days Denise, what amazing images they painted.

Valerie said...

Lovely paintings. Linda is right, it did seem like time was standing still.
I was surprised to see the painting of Warwick Castle.

Vanessa Morgan said...

I loved going through all of them. Looking forward to seeing more.

Mike @ A Bit About Britain said...

Just exquisite. And Mrs Graham looks a little saucy...

EG CameraGirl said...

I enjoy seeing how the rich and famous dressed and wore their hair in past times. Thanks, Denise.

Sandra said...

my two favorites today are the last one and the family portrait.. when i see these paintings i always notice how much different women look today than way back then and wonder what another 100 years women will look like.

Linda P. said...

Gorgeous! I love this style and era of portrait painting. So much detail in that first family group - it seems to tell a story. The sitter's personality shines through in each painting. Good to see the castle and landscape too!

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Warwick Castle..the old home? Josephine, I love her garden at Malmaison. Too bad her hubby dumped her.

TexWisGirl said...

everyone looks so delicate - even the 'manly' men. :)

William Kendall said...

Such exquisitely beautiful art!

Jeanne said...

I enjoyed that a great deal. You chose some really stunning paintings to share.

Penelope Puddlisms said...

These are impressive photographs. I have tried to take photos of paintings in art galleries when permitted and know it is not always an easy task with crowds and the glare of lighting in the mix. I like the Napolean shot. I was surprised to hear recently that he was not considered short at five foot six inches in his day because that was a standard height for men apparently.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for a great tour! They are splendid works of art.

Adam said...

I hear Napoleon wasn't that short all

Kay said...

It was so wonderful to see these beautiful paintings. I wonder how they started that trend to stick their hand inside their shirt or vest.