Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Squiggles.....that's what I thought when.....

I first saw this sculpture, and then you have a chance to look at it for a while, and begin to appreciate what you're looking at.  I walked around several times taking it all in, enjoying all the colors, and found it intriguing. It truly is remarkable and I feel very fortunate that we came across it. 


Last June when we were in London, we found this interesting sculpture in Berkeley Square, a short walk from our hotel. It was created by Dale Chihuly, an American from Washington State, and is called The Sun.  All those 'squiggles' are actually an amazing 1,573 hand-blown glass elements.  If you click on this link you will see how beautiful it is when it is lit up at night, and you can read all about it here.  






Added note: I was surfing the net last night as when I was looking for more information on Mr. Chuhuly, a memory came to me of our visit to Las Vegas several years ago.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any photos of it on here.  (It must have been before blog and before digital and goodness knows where those photo albums are.  We have many, many, many.)  


In the foyer of the Bellagio I was mesmerized by an enormous glass ceiling fixture and had neck-ache, I was so taken with it.  Without knowing at the time, I was actually looking at another extraordinary piece created by Dale Chihuly.  You can see what I am talking about here.   It is called Fiori di Como, a chandelier comprising of 2,000 hand-blown glass blossoms.  Photos don't do it justice, it has to be seen with your own eyes.  If you find yourself in the Bellagio don't forget to look for them, you won't be disappointed.  
Hopefully I will go back one day because now I will know what to look for.