Thursday, November 13, 2014

SKYWATCH FRIDAY AND WILLY-NILLY FRIDAY FIVE


I took these photos while grocery shopping.   We left the house in sunshine but those dark clouds promised rain.


I liked how the Autumn leaves seemed so vibrant still, not quite ready to give up and still hanging in there, and how the bright sunlight struck this building.  Those ominous clouds made a great backdrop.


In one direction blue but cloud-filled skies, with the sun slowly disappearing behind them.


A good time to go to the store later in the day.  It wasn't very crowded.


By the time we had done our shopping it had started to rain.  I put my sunglasses back in their case.



And now for my Willy-Nilly Friday Five.


1) The book I am reading now is one in a series with Maisie Dobbs. I've read all up to this present book, "Elegy for Eddy", and have always enjoyed them and am invested in the repeated main characters, including our heroin. Maisie is a young girl who starts out life born in the working class of 1930's England, is a maid at a tender age and through an interesting set of circumstances, becomes a private detective.  I finished 'Winter Street' last week. I enjoyed it but find myself drawn back to my who-dun-it genre, which really is my favorite type of read.

2)  I am including a link for an incredible National Geographic movie on Manta Rays. Did you know a Manta Ray could 'fly'? Check it out here.  It is an amazing sight.  Thousands and thousands of Rays gather and no one really knows why.

3)  Also, here is another YouTube video about the plight of the Kiwi.  Go here for a really cute video where kids talk about this wonderful bird.  I think children make for wonderful interviews.  It doesn't go as expected and that is a bit sad, but I think that is the whole point of the video, a good lesson for us all.  The children absolutely make this video.  It makes me wonder how many they interviewed before picking these few.  

4)  A favorite photo from a recent trip to Huntley Meadows, one of the places we enjoy walking.  Those are Canada Geese you can see.




5)  We have company.  Gregg's Dad is staying with us for a few days.  I will have another family member to try out new recipes on.


And that's about it for my Willy-Nilly Friday Five.


~~~~~~~


My thanks to our hosts of these two fun memes.  You can click on their names below to visit other participants.

44 comments:

  1. I am certain Gully thinks you a most wonderful DIL. Weather shift is odd, David convinced it will snow. Nice layout of your photos. Take care and make sure you have a sonw shovel...Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those clouds are ominous, but they sure to offer an outstanding backdrop to,the autumn leaves. I am reading a series now...Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove series. There are lots of books in that series. I am going to be reading that series for sometime to come. I got hooked on the books because Imwatched one season on Netflix, and it left me hanging. I am happy that I am able to download the books on my kindle from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love he warm peek into the grocery store from the rain outside. The sky makes a marvelous background for all these things, just slightly ominous

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love when you cook!!! beautiful skies and views, do you use redbox, we do and we love it!!!

    enjoy your company!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing how quickly your weather changed! I do like the autumn colors you captured. Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like the dramatic skies and the colors! have fun with family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very much enjoyed your atmospheric shots, D




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>


    ReplyDelete
  8. Those trees look great against the sky! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning skies.
    Have a wonderful time with your houseguest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful light captured in your photos! The weather is so changeable this time of year. I am reading a book about a maid, too - 'An Irish Country Girl'by Patrick Taylor. It is also one of a series. I will put yours on my reading list. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the type of light you can get right before a storm. Love those first shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen documentary footage before of rays breaching the surface of the water.

    Those leaves really stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had a day of interesting skies.

    I like reading series of books. It is nice getting used to and knowing the various characters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Autumn is my favourite season, its spring here for now so not many lovely colours...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dusk photo of the geese is just lovely - it sets quite the mood. I'd be too tired by evening to go grocery shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely series, Denise, thanks so much for this enjoyable tour!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The colors of the tree looks great with blue in the back ground. Great series of shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How nice to see children interviewed; they often give such random and unexpected answers to questions. So refreshing in an age when so many celebrities, politicians and sportsmen give bland, prepared replies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looked very stormy, I thing we have it here now from the amount of rain coming down.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all your images. That was amazing about the Rays and I loved all the children's responses in the other video. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful colours and skies. And that shot of the Canada geese/lake is beautiful. Gosh, it's wet here...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love those skies but my favourite is the one of the person with the umbrella. Have a great time with the family and a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some super shots today, Denise. I won't mention the weather except to say everything is soaked through! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We have lovely autumn colors, especially when pitted against a gorgeous blue sky. Now, that's truly beautiful! It's really chilly this morning in the Tennessee Valley at just slightly below 25℉. I'm not ready for winter to swoop in, are you? Brrr, NO! Anywho, fantastic photos. I enjoyed your little photo essay ~ quite quaint! It's great to meet you on #SWF. I've been on a blogging hiatus for the last 3-weeks and am getting back into the groove again. Have a foto-tastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great shots! Looks like you have a Wegmans store in your area...our home town store! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  26. love the autumn colours Denise! You are totally the intrepid blogger - grocery shopping but camera at the ready! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have seen the rays fly, we have an overabundance of them at our beaches. i love all your sky pics and the look through the window is my favorite today... i like the one in the rain with the umbrella, very artsy shot.. i love a good who done it to

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful sky pictures! I loved the manta ray video, yes the fly! Who knew! The kiwi video is soo cute, I din't know they were endangered. Wishing you great times with your guests!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Totally Gorgeous Photographs . . . wow!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful weather shots I really enjoyed those thanks so much for sharing. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  31. The photos are just amazing. Our weather in South Florida is similar....sunny one minute, black the next-gotta roll with it.
    Manta rays are both beautiful and scary; we have a lot of sting rays in our area...we have to do the sting ray shuffle at the beach to avoid stepping directly on them.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your photos are beautiful! Love the sky shots. I can't wait to sit down with a good book. It's been too long! Your book series sounds good. Enjoy your visitor and trying out new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome photos, Denise! Love the piece on the manta rays. We were once standing on a pier in Florida and a school of them swam underneath. It was an amazing thing to see! Love the kiwi video too. The little girl whispering to tell the little boy what to say was just too cute. It was a great illustration on how kiwis are "hard to find." Just cracked up at their reactions to the rat. Made me want to cuddle the rat and make him feel loved, and I too am not normally a fan! :-) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful collection showing Autumn's changing skies.

    ReplyDelete
  35. i love how you say that you are trying out recipes on her house guest. that is too fun!! i bet you will have a ball. i love trying new recipes. most happy when they are extra tasty as well! ( :

    keep us posted on the must try's.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely images, I like the umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Those skies are ominous, but certainly provide a beautiful backdrop for those colorful leaves. Thanks for the links and enjoy your time with Gregg's dad. I know y'all are having good food and a grand time!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your autumn trees were really pretty and I agree the sky did look very ominous.
    I enjoyed both videos. I had no idea that manta rays could fly. The Kiwi video was cute. That one little girl that kept whispering to the boy was so adorable.
    Enjoy your company.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You would think they were different days! Great colours.

    ReplyDelete