Monday, November 17, 2014

Monday Food Post - Parmesan Crusted Flounder - serves 2


I found this dish at Food.com here.   The original recipe actually calls for Tilapia but I bought a filet of flounder instead.  The cooking time isn't altered and cooked in the same amount of time.

Parmesan-Crusted Flounder - serves 2

Preparation time: 5 minutes 
Cooking time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

3 to 4 flounder fillets, depending on size
1/4 cup bread crumbs, or crushed buttery round crackers
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Kosher salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Olive oil

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. (220 degrees C).

Grease a baking dish.  I used cooking spray.

On a plate combine breadcrumbs (or crushed crackers), finely grated Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Mix well.  

On another plate pour 1 tablespoon lemon juice.  

Working one at a time, place a fillet on the plate with the lemon juice, turn over and make sure both sides have been coated.  At this point you can season both sides to taste with kosher salt (not too much as there is salt in the Parmesan cheese) and black pepper. 

Next dredge the fillet in the Parmesan mixture, patting it all over to coat. 

Place in prepared baking dish; repeat with remaining fish.

Sprinkle a little lemon juice over fillets and drizzle or spray them lightly with olive oil.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until the fish easily flakes with a fork and the edges are brown.





What did we think of this dish?  Delicious!  

I used cracker crumbs for the coating.

It would be fun to play around with the seasonings.  I might add some crushed pepper next time to add a little heat, as one of us loves heat.  It would be easy enough to leave the other plain for me. I think I also might try basil.

I used two fillets as the ones I bought were more than enough for two people.

Because I love the combination of tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, this is what I used for a side, like a Caprese salad without the olive oil and basil, which you can add if you prefer.  For another time I would try a mixed salad.  


19 comments:

Linda said...

Denise, this looks really good! And I am so glad you enjoyed it with flounder. Thanks so much for sharing.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

a yummy dish....now I need food.

Valerie said...

It looks delicious, Denise. I've never tasted flounder before. The mat on which the dish is set (second picture) looks very much like my trays and place mats.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Reading this as I eat breakfast, and it still sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra said...

pretty to look at and mouth watering good from the looks of it.. i forgot to tell you how much i like your header. beautiful

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

So good sounding...I just had some gluten-free parmesean coated cod...delicious also. From the frozen foods section. I'm sure yours was better fresh...and I never thought of a dredging in lemon juice, great idea!

Red said...

That's a delicious looking meal. When I cook something new I always use the internet instead of going through my wife's recipes.

George said...

This looks delicious. We're going to have to give it a try.

Linda Kay said...

Looks very delicious. I love Mozzarella and tomato, although lots of the tomatoes don't look all that good at the moment in the store. Fish is a great meat to serve.

EG CameraGirl said...

It looks scrumptious and I love how you've set it out on the plates!

William Kendall said...

Looks good for seafood fans!

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Thanks, I am always looking for new ways to fix Tilapia.

Karen S. said...

It looks wonderful, my mouth is watering and I'm trying to figure a way to pull through my computer screen! I would ad Balsamic glaze over the tomatos and cheese! It's a favorite of ours!

Marie said...

This looks scrumptious!

happywonderer said...

This looks delicious, Denise!!

Stephanie said...

Oh wow! It looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Gail Dixon said...

This looks so delicious! And your plate looks beautiful with the mozzarella and tomatoes. You certainly know how to make your meals look extremely appetizing!

Debbie said...

oohhhhh yum and my FAVORITE side dish!!!!

gigihawaii said...

I think I will try this recipe tonight.