Monday, November 10, 2014

Monday Food Post - Meatloaf


I enjoyed this recipe very much and found it at Brown Eyed Baker hosted by Michelle.  You can see the original here.  Thanks Michelle!

Meatloaf 

6 to 8 servings

Preparation time: 15 minutes 
Cooking time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes

Ingredients:

For the Glaze:

1/2 cup ketchup
4 tablespoons light brown sugar
4 teaspoons cider vinegar

For the Meatloaf:

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup whole milk
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound ground veal
16 saltine crackers, crushed
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley

Directions:

Make the Glaze:

In a small saucepan, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar; set aside.

Make the Meatloaf:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat.

Add the onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.

Set aside to cool while preparing the remaining.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne and milk.

Add the ground meats, crackers, parsley and cooked onion mixture; mix with a fork until evenly blended.

With wet hands, pat the mixture into a 9-by-5 inch loaf shape and place on a foil-lined rimmed baking pan.  If you prefer you can use a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan with a perforated bottom.

Brush with half of the glaze.

Bake loaf until it is cooked through (it should register 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer) about 1 hour  (With my oven temperature of 350 degrees it wasn't cooked, so I put it in for an extra 15 minutes.)

Cool at least 20 minutes.

Simmer the remaining glaze over medium heat until thickened slightly.

Slice the meatloaf and serve with extra glaze.

Suggestions from Michelle (from Brown Eyed Baker):

1) the whole milk can be replaced by 1/2 cup plain yogurt.

2) the crushed saltines can be replaced by 2/3 cup quick oats or 1-1/3 cups fresh bread crumbs.




What did we think?

I served this meal with mashed potatoes, along with asparagus and a sectioned roasted onion.  

I have made meatloaf before and this one was my favorite so far. I have not made any kind of meatloaf in a very long time as it was never a favorite in this family.  However, I just had a yen and I was happy I found a delicious recipe.  We both enjoyed it and I will be making it again.


I kept to the recipe and didn't change a thing.

There are leftovers and we will be having another favorite, meatloaf sandwiches.  This looks like it is a good recipe to freeze. I will cut slices off and wrap individually.

16 comments:

Marie Flutterby said...

Looks so yummy and sounds like another good meal plan as well; thank you so much for sharing.

Just Fluttering Around

Linda Kay said...

I think I'd love the combination of meats in this as well as the other ingredients. It's pretty hard to mess up meatloaf....one of my favorites.

Sandra said...

my hubby loves meatloaf, i can take it or leave it. this recipe is how i make mine, but no thyme and I only use ground beef. all the rest of it i use. that is how my mother made it. for the top of it no vinegar just ketchup and brown sugar... bob loves it and i make mine in the mircowave in a round cake pan with a hole in the middle,

Gail Dixon said...

The ingredients for the meatloaf sound amazing. May have to try this one! I love having leftovers, too.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I still make meatloaf every once in a while -- it was definitely a regular rotation item when we had kids and we usually eat differently now -- but sometimes you just want the old comfort foods (especially this time of year here in rainy Oregon). I just use the old recipe I know by heart. Yours definitely dresses it up a bit with the meat mixture especially the glaze which beats plain ketchup I've always used all to heck!

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

I love making meatloaf! It's comfort food. You can change it up. Much fun! I can even make it fit hubby's dietary needs!

Linda said...

That meatloaf dish looks scrumptious, Denise! Thanks so much for sharing it.

William Kendall said...

Very tasty! It sounds similar to how my mother made it.

Ginny said...

It has been so long since I have had meat loaf, years really. I love it! And this one looks divine.

Cloudia said...

YUM!




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

Red said...

Meat loaf is definitely one of my favorites.

Stephanie said...

It looks tasty!

Betsy Adams said...

I love meatloaf and your recipe sounds terrific... I always order Meatloaf when we go to Cracker Barrel. Theirs is SO good.

Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy

Margaret Adamson said...

Looks yummy however I make a vegetarian one which is also yummy even thought I am not a vegetarian myself. Carrot and Nut Loaf

Arija said...

Denise, I've been searching for your post with the quote from 'A Countess below stairs" one of my favourite novels. Actually I love all of hers since they are set in a time and environment I know well.
Your post with that lovely picture appeared in my list of blogs I follow but seems no longer to be on your blog. Strange . . .

happywonderer said...

It's making my mouth water. Looks delicious!