Tuesday, November 18, 2014

For the love of little boys, especially one little boy.


"Dirty Face"

Where did you get such a dirty face,
My darling dirty-faced child?
I got it from crawling along in the dirt
And biting two buttons off Jeremy's shirt.
I got it from chewing the roots of a rose
And digging for clams in the yard with my nose.
I got it from peeking into a dark cave
And painting myself like a Navajo brave.
I got it from playing with coal in the bin
And signing my name in cement with my chin.
I got it from rolling around on the rug
And giving the horrible dog a big hug.
I got it from finding a lost silver mine
And eating sweet blackberries right off the vine.
I got it from ice cream and wrestling and tears
And from having more fun than you've had in years.


~Shel Silverstein~


(and in my case realizing one morning many, many years ago how quiet my little boy was when I was trying to fit much needed housework into a busy day. As mothers everywhere know, it only takes a few seconds for lovable mischief, and to make snow from a bag of flour. This is a photo I sent to his Dad who was away at sea at the time, before the first hair-cut.  It is a repeat photo shared a few years back to go with this lovely poem.)

28 comments:

  1. Quiet is a danger signal isn't it? And in this case a very cute photo to share for years. Though the clean-up wouldn't have been what you wanted that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it that your feelings at the time were somewhat less approving. As the nanny said: "Go and see what little Jimmy's doing and tell him to stop doing it!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved this, Denise. The poem is priceless and I'm so glad you kept that photograph all these years to show us. You have reminded me of an incident almost fifty years ago, about which I might blog. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - that's just great! Made me smile - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oohhhhh so cute. my boys got in to way too many things for me to even remember. they once made a skating rink on the kitchen floor with mayo, what a nightmare. that spot WAS like a skating rink for at least a month after ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the perfect poem for this photo. so cute.. and proud of himself..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful you had the presence of mind to take this memorable photo. I have few photos of my children in action, mostly posed stuff, which is okay, but not nearly as much fun, nor memorable. Dad at sea must have enjoyed seeing his little urchin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every kid does something like that and it's a family story. Shel Silverstein is one of my favorites. I used his material in middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother once had one of my cousins over for a couple of days. My aunt said that if he was quiet, you'd better go see what he was up to. She found him happily opening up bags of tea on the bed covers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember this photo on your blog. Lol. And look how tall and big he is now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really lovely poem and picture of your little guy. You are right, it only takes a minute for mischief.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your son looks like he was having such a good time. My stepdaughter recently posted a picture on Facebook of flour covering her kitchen floor from the antics of one or both grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That picture is just priceless; what a little joy boy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! Fabulous. We had a similar quiet morning experience but it involved eggs with the boys and then years later Chocolate with our daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwww! Love the memories (yours and my own that the picture an sweet poem evoke).... 3 sons, 4 grandsons, 2 great-grandsons.... yup, I know what you mean!!!

    And I didn't know this poem by Shel Silverstein at all. Have I missed one of his books altogether?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi.. so cute kid, and lovely memory.
    Lovely image :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't we have a soft spot for such moments that can be captured by camera for all time? Glad you could share it with your husband who was away at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww, he was having a good time! I have always loved Shel Silverstein's poetry..he was one of my first grader's favorites back eons ago when I taught school.

    ReplyDelete
  19. An absolutely precious post. Such a sweet mischievous photo of your son, and such a wonderful poem!

    ReplyDelete