Sunday, November 30, 2014

A poem



Friends by Abbie Farewell Brown


How good to lie a little while
And look up through the tree!
The Sky is like a kind big smile
Bent sweetly over me.


The Sunshine flickers through the lace
Of leaves above my head,
And kisses me upon the face
Like Mother, before bed.


The Wind comes stealing o'er the grass
To whisper pretty things,
And though I cannot see him pass,
I feel his careful wings.


So many gentle Friends are near
Whom one can scarcely see.
A child should never feel a fear,
Wherever he may be.


(Abbie Farewell Brown was an American author who lived from 1871 to 1927.  While attending the Girls Latin School she created a school newspaper, The Jabberwock, which is still being published today.  In the poem "Friends", Brown shares that even things in nature can be children's friends, giving them comfort whenever they fear.)

21 comments:

Ginny said...

I love the poem, and your pictures compliment it beautifully! I wish I was able to lay down under a beautiful tree! I would feel like a child again...

Linda said...

The poem is lovely and the photos match it very well! Great post, Denise, as always!

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Such a lovely poem - I have never heard it before. It brings back memories of those childhood days exploring the woods. Lovely photos. xo Karen

Mascha said...

Wonderful photos and words - my English is now better: I can all understand.
Have a nice sunday :-)

Elephant's Child said...

Just beautiful - and no I wouldn't argue with the message either. At all.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I still like to occasionally lie down under a big tree. I wonder what I'll do if I ever grow up? :^)

Willow said...

So very beautiful ~ nature was one of my biggest comforts as as child and still is to this day .

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

From the photos, I suspect you might have taken these snaps on the boardwalk through the woods lining the George Washington Memorial Highway. The last time we went over there the bicyclists made walking very hazardous.

Sandra said...

so beautiful I read it out lout do myself.. and the photos are perfect for it..

Hannah said...

The complex patterns and colors in the first photo are so lovely and interesting. I have always loved observing nature but sometimes I have felt afraid when all alone in a wild place. Even as a child I would say this to calm my fears, "What time I am afraid I will trust in Thee (You)." Ps. 56:3 Lovely poem.

Adam said...

cool poem and pictures

Red said...

Photos nicely put together with the poem. You nailed it!

SweetMarie said...

the words and photos are beautiful! your header is breath-taking! Love it! I would frame it!

Vilt og vakkert said...

Heisann!
Children always have fun in the nature.
Lovely photos and a wonderful poem.
Have a nice week ;:OD)

Country Wife said...

Wonderful poem

Linda Kay said...

One of the biggest concerns I felt as a mother was for my children to be in fear. They should always be carefree.

William Kendall said...

Quite a lovely poem, and just the right pics to go along with it.

Michelle said...

A wonderful combination of words and pictures.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful poem! And it was perfectly suited to the images you posted with.

Marie said...

An awesome poem...coupled with the perfect photos. It was interesting learning about the author and her literary magazine.

EG CameraGirl said...

I love how the photos and poem go so well together!