Sunday, October 12, 2014

Random Photo and a bit of a ramble.

"To be an angel, one need not have wings.
In giving love there is an equal grace.
Nor need one seek the aura in the face.
As love unveils the beauty of all things."

~Francois Couperin~


This beautiful carving was found in my village church.  When I lived there so many years ago I don't ever remember seeing it before, and it had to have been there as it was a decorative feature on a very old bench that has probably been part of the fixtures and fittings from its beginnings.  I was always told that the church was built in the 1100's, but I've since read that the first published mention of it was in 1348.
  
I returned with eyes that were more open than when I was young.  I found myself studying every square inch of the place, and I could have stayed a lot longer than I did.  I wanted to sit in one of the pews for an hour or more and take it all in, as all the memories of living life in a small village in Devonshire came rushing back, a place I loved very much and still do.  

That's not to say that I don't love my life in Virginia, it has been home to me for many years.  I spent the first 25 years of my life in England.  A few years back it suddenly dawned on me that I had spent more of my life in the U.S., though I can honestly say that the first ten years I was very homesick.  People have said they were homesick for two years.  Well, it was a lot longer for me, though things slowly changed when my parents passed on.  There wasn't quite that emotional pull any more and I am now entering my 39th year in America.  

I would not change any decision I have ever made.  I married for love and followed my husband to America.  I would have followed him a lot further if need be, and he saw to it that I went home often and also we were fortunate that my parents could travel and spend many, many holidays with us.  Like most of us who have moved away from home be it near or far, it was fun to go back and to find, and realize with great pleasure, that those surroundings were still very familiar, and I still felt very much at home.  My visit made me realize I am very lucky to have a foot in two camps, having had a very good life in both.

I thought I would take this opportunity to thank all of you who visit and make comments on each blog post.  They always make for such an enjoyable read and to those of you who just pop in for a look-see, hopefully you will find something to enjoy.  To all of you who follow my blog I thank you too.  

One of the many nice things I enjoy is visiting other blogs out there, in the States, in the UK and various other parts of the world.  It is a real education.  It also brings us all a little bit closer and an  understanding of each other's culture, and I have truly enjoyed all the friendships I have made. 

I hope you all have a great week and happy blogging!

29 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have enjoyed your blog since discovering it through another blog I follow.

Michelle said...

I have always enjoyed your blog and, like you, I feel like I learn to much about others through blogging.

William Kendall said...

It has been a pleasure to follow your blog, though I must admit that I can't recall now how I first started!

Isn't it remarkable how we can see a certain detail like that in a place we've known well for the first time?

TexWisGirl said...

i spent the first 20 yrs of my life in wisconsin. although i didn't technically leave my country, moving to texas sort of felt like i did. i've also surpassed the mark of spending more time as a texan than a wisconsinite. i can understand your sentiments.

Cloudia said...

Moving far from one's childhood home is something I know a bit about. You well describe such a life; and your good words about blogging are wonderfully true, friend.





ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3

Ginny said...

Has this made you remember other things that you had forgotten? Has it jogged your memory? I have been away from my homes for 45 years now.

Mike @ A Bit About Britain said...

Love the carving. That's a really good, well-written, piece; in fact, it's lovely. There is much in what you say that I can empathise with.

Sandra said...

this is a truly beautiful carving and to think of it there for so many years... I enjoy your blog, it shows me your past and your current you.. i like to see other places and things all over the world and blogging is the easy way to do it... i have been here in Florida for 30 years and after my parents died i rarely go back to Savannah, where i was born and raised. i think the family is the pull to go home, not as much the place

Marie Flutterby said...

Good morning Denise I hope you're having a good start to your new week. =0)

Good memories are cherishable those you hold dear to your heart and never let go let alone forget.

You're so right about meeting peeps from around the globe and learning their ways of where they come from the web is a very educational place. =0)

That wood carving is absolutely beautiful something I don't see much of out here of what my bf and I call is Craftsman work so much love goes into woodwark like that it should be cherished and respected.

ladyfi said...

And thank you for your blog!

Linda Kay said...

Really delightful. I lived most of my life in Illinois with just a few diversions of a few years here and there. Now we are retired to Texas for six years already. Luckily I have a brother back on the farm in Illinois, and granddaughters who are still in their teens. That's my pull back for now, but I suspect once the girls have gone their separate ways with marriages, etc., it will be less of a pull to go back. Life goes on, right?

EG CameraGirl said...

I also live in a place far from where I was born and raised. And I agree that blogging makes the world feel a great deal smaller and that through posts we can learn a lot about each other's cultures, wishes and dreams.

magnoliasntea said...

Beautiful photo of the carving from you "home" church. I read your bio and am touch by the reason you started your blog. I'm sure your son appreciates it very much. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Have a great day!

gigihawaii said...

The best part about blogging is actually meeting my blog friends in person.
It was so nice to have lunch with you and Gregg in Washington, DC last August.
Hope to see you again in Hawaii some day soon.

Penelope Puddlisms said...

It is time to reflect on the many things for which we are grateful in Canada. Your thoughtful post reminds me that different stages of life evoke different levels of appreciation. Gratitude becomes deeper and what we value most changes. There is something in your personal history that suggests heavenly guidance has always been at your side.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I enjoy going back to places I've lived. It is amazing how long forgotten memories just pop out.

Your blog and blogs like it are the nice side of the internet. It is a good thing to posts by people who have a different outlook on life than ours.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

There's always something new to discover in English churches; so much lurks in the shadows! Trying to find the age of an English church is like asking the age of a Hollywood actress - you'll never get a straight answer as there have been so many facelifts and re-modellings along the way!

sallie (fulltime-Life.com) said...

Very much enjoyed sharing your thoughts and reflections; this is a lovely post. -- And the village church was a perfect place to sit quietly and let those beautiful thoughts and memories surface.

I too am more than grateful for having led a very good life wherever I lived (or traveled).

Gail Dixon said...

I can so understand that homesick feeling. That's the way I felt when I left Louisiana as a young bride and moved to Texas. It's nice being back in La. (home) now, but there are certain aspects of Texas that I will miss always.

Your blog is a friendly and wonderful place to visit. I've enjoyed getting to know you this year and hope it'll continue.

Linda W. said...

Thanks for the blog visit and nice comment!

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

I miss spots I moved from especially when I was a child...I stayed here for love and I wouldn't have changed it either...it is an adventure to come along on your rambles Denise....I feel privileged to be part of it. And I learn so much!

Debbie said...

i have never lived anywhere but here at the jersey shore. i was born in this town, graduated from this hs and raised my children here. i have always been here except when i went away to nursing school!!

i am so happy to have met you denise, i really enjoy your blog....we have a lot of the same interests!!!

Tanya Breese said...

i always enjoy my visits here!

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Thomas Wolfe once wrote, you can't go home again, and I think it's true. We have lived in our neighborhood half of our lives, and spent most of our lives in Virginia. Both have changed dramatically. When David and I ride through old areas, we can hardly recognize them. I actually get disoriented.

I think I might be homesick if I ever moved, but don't think it would be for what is as much as what was.

George said...

I enjoyed this very thoughtful and thought-provoking post. One of the great rewards of blogging is seeing the world through the eyes of others.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It is always good to remember, Denise. We have both moved several times from our birthplace and home state and will do so again soon. Yet, each place holds memories of family, friends, places. You can always go home to your native country or state whether gor a physical visit or recollections. Always enjoy reading your posts of your life here and in England.

SeagullSuzie said...

I hate moving house and city which we have done several times. I'm a home girl and my home is very important to me so leaving is a real wrench.
It's good to hear your life is what you want and that you are very much settled in America.
Enjoying your blog very much Denise.

Linda Gross said...

It is not surprising that you saw something new in a place that you had spent much time. Almost always I see something new, when we return to places that we have visited time and time again.

I find it interesting how your life in the UK and in the US mirror in a small way that of my S-I-L. She also followed her husband to the U.S. and has spent most of her life in the U.S. She has one foot in the U.S. and the other in the U.K. She has been able to make many trips to the UK as well. How fortunate for both of you to know both cultures well.

Betsy Adams said...

Hi Denise, I have always enjoyed your blog ---and like you, I love meeting people from all states/countries, etc.... SO SPECIAL...

Beautiful carving... Wow--someone did a fantastic job of that one. Love it.
Hugs,
Betsy