Wednesday, October 8, 2014

GOOD FENCES

I have shown you several photos from my home village lately.  For Good Fences I thought I would continue the theme, showing the old stone walls and gates at the church, and just outside.  No wooden fences but lots of stone walls.

(For those who don't know, I went back to England after a 20 year absence, and these photos were taken in my home village in South Devon where I lived before marrying and moving to the States 39 years ago.)







The graveyard overlooks the farmer's field and the old barn beyond the stone wall.


This house is just outside the gate....


as is this one.  When I took my photo I probably was trying to get the flowers but noticed that the fence/gate was sharper.  I still like  the slightly blurry background.


This lane goes past the church and yes it is a two way road.  If you come across a car heading down the hill, then you back up until you find the nearest opening, usually a farmer's gate which gives you enough room to slide into to let the other car pass.   I can't remember as it's been many a year since I drove in England, but I believe it is the person coming up the hill who has the right of way.  Maybe our British friends can correct me if I am wrong.  My memory also is that drivers were always extremely polite, even today.  It didn't matter who had the write of way, sometimes both cars would instantly try to find the farmer's gate.  Now, I think if you have a whole line of cars behind you it might be more difficult to do, but I also remember there were times that the last car in line, maybe three or four cars back, would start reversing to allow the others in front of him to follow suit, to accommodate the oncoming driver(s).


The old telephone boxes were a welcome sight.  There aren't too many left as they have been replaced by more modern looking ones, but it's always a joy to see an original.  This is the back of the box behind the old stone wall.



~~~~~~~

Thank you Theresa at The Run*A*Round Ranch Report for continuing another great meme.  Click on the blog link to see other participants, and the button below to find out more information.  

32 comments:

Ginny said...

This is a wonderful looking phone box! Probably there will be no more in the near future. I love the stone wall, undoubtedly handmade. And the beautiful daisies!

Stephanie said...

I enjoyed viewing your images through your lens. Love the old phone box and that barn!

William Kendall said...

Such lovely shots! It feels quite rural indeed.

Mystica said...

I do like the stone fences. Especially the one on embankments. It takes such a lot of skill to do one properly. In Sri Lanka this is now a dying art and very difficult to find a workman skilled in this.

Linda Kay said...

Lovely pictures and scenery. Lots of stone fences in Texas as well, but the gate is wrought iron!

Adam said...

I love stone walls like that

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Lovely country scenes - I love the stone walls and iron gates. I particularly love the thought of how polite the English drivers are on the one-lane road. We have a one-lane road up a steep hill to our home and up-hill has the right of way. Unfortunately, we sometimes run into decidedly un-English drivers! Thankfully, not very often. Love the little flower garden and the telephone box. Very sweet. xo Karen

Margaret Adamson said...

I enjoyed viewing and reading about where you took the photographs. Love the telephone box. I wish they had not got rid of most of them.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

People are still very patient and polite on these roads as most of the traffic avoids them wherever they can. Apart from around horse paddocks you don't usually see many wooden fences in England, do you?

eileeninmd said...

Denise, pretty scenes and photos.. I love the old barn and flowers. Great gates and fence scenes.. Have a happy day!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Beautiful pics. Interesting about the right of way customs.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm impressed that drivers on rural English roads are polite! I really like the look of stone walls.

Marie Flutterby said...

Those photo's were amazing and the story was just as amazing as well.

What's really amazing is how we get to see how far we've all come in time, to see how things were and how they are now your photo's and your stories really show that making me enjoy and appreciate your blogs very much.

http://marieflutterby.blogspot.ca/

Sandra said...

i love those red phone boxes.. and you found one with a fence in front. every photos has a beautiful fence in it. even though they are stone they are still fences. and so beautiful. the gate is wonderful

Michelle said...

Just lovely. I love seeing the stone fences.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Love stone walls they are fantastic and each has its own character. Never see a telephone box any more, mobiles seem to rule our lives! Take care Diane

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Love stone walls they are fantastic and each has its own character. Never see a telephone box any more, mobiles seem to rule our lives! Take care Diane

happywonderer said...

I love the stone walls and the fences. You make me want to be back in England taking a stroll through a church and graveyard.

TexWisGirl said...

gorgeous!! love the stone walls and that pretty gateway. and all the garden growth!

Karen S. said...

I know I've said this many times before, but the feelings the same, you live in a most lovely world! My kind of beauty, enchanting and like the things fairy tale are written about.

Linda said...

Lovely pictures! We have some one-lane roads and they make me nervous.

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Lovely shots, and I think I saw a wooden fence in some overgrown garden.

We never got the hang of driving in Britain. Or I should say David didn't and my speeds on the M highways drove him nuts.

We tried a car on the first few trips and then switched to buses and trains. I think those old country buses have also begun to disappear.

On one trip we rode in a van driven by someone else, and we're stuck on the M1 in traffic. After that no more guided tours.

The last couple of times I was in Britain, I traveled alone. David does not like to leave home anymore. Thanks for sharing these photos. You can see they brought up a lot of memories for me.

Ida said...

What pretty stone walls and lovely iron gate. I also liked the shot of the wall/road going up that hill. It looks like such pleasant countryside.

sallie (fulltime-Life.com) said...

The stone walls are wonderful. I'm surprised the old phone booths have been replaced because I hardly ever see them any more, now that everybody has a cell). But I hope they keep wonderful ones like you show forever even if nobody uses them.

Jeanne said...

Beautiful pictures!! I remember roads like that. My sister and I demolished all four sides of a rented Fiat last time we were in Ireland just trying to squeeze through places we were not meant to squeeze through.

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

What a lovely post! Hubby wants to go to England, once his health is stable. We'll see!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It was fun, Denise, to see photos from your former home. These sirely brought back lots of memories for you.

pattisjarrett said...

So many different kinds of fences. This is a lovely place. Do you miss it much? I think I would--just from seeing your photos!

Rose said...

Oh, Denise, these are all great captures. I really enjoyed seeing them.

Debbie said...

What a beautiful place, lots of old world charm!! I heard on the news, which I never watch, that they are going to turn old red phone booths into charging stations for electronic devices. Call me crazy, but I charge mine at home. They always last at least a day. But then I am not on my phone 24/7......in fact I rarely use it. I always think, wow, those peeps must have a lot of friends!!

Felicia said...

the gates are lovely and i love the stone walls and fences. The red telephone booth is pretty neat too.

SeagullSuzie said...

You are correct Denise, uphill has right of way because it is dangerous to reverse downhill. We don't find Devon drivers to be very good or polite these days! Of course you always find nice drivers, but it's the bad experiences that stick.
Lovely look around a very pretty place.