Sunday, October 19, 2014

Food Post - Breakfast Blueberry Cobbler - and a bit of a ramble.


(Made this for the first time on October 6th, 2014)

I had fruit in my fridge that was telling me to use it today, so having had this recipe in the works for a while, I decided to make it for breakfast.  

When I was growing up the concept of eating 'dessert' for the first meal of the day, was totally unheard of.  Now this is going back 39 years and back in the UK, so I'm not sure if things have evolved in another direction by now. Maybe our British friends can clue me in as I am curious.  

Certain foods were totally new to me.  For instance, I remember the first time Gregg's Mother served me Cornbread and I was surprised that we were eating 'cake' with chicken.  I learned fairly quickly of course, that Cornbread was only ever so slightly sweet and more of a savory biscuit type of a deal.  Gregg loves Cornbread and I enjoy it too so though we don't have it all the time it is on the menu, not just for chicken dishes but to go with the occasional soup I might make.

In my childhood, for breakfast we sprinkled a little sugar on our Oatmeal or Weetabix, or Cornflakes.  Bacon and Egg meals were either a mixed grill fixed at night or for breakfast on the weekends. Anything sweet was only for dessert, and then there were pancakes which were traditionally only made once a year on Shrove Tuesday, after the evening meal, not for breakfast.   

Shrove Tuesday was a big deal, and as kids we got very excited when we knew that Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Day would soon arrive.   Now, why are Pancakes eaten on Shrove Tuesday? Lent is a time of abstinence, of giving things up, as many of us know.  So Shrove Tuesday is the last chance to indulge ourselves, and to use up the foods that aren't allowed in Lent.  Pancakes were eaten on this day because they contained fat, butter and eggs, which were forbidden during Lent and that's how it all got started.   We enjoyed our once a year Pancakes and it never crossed our minds that we would have it on any other day than Shrove Tuesday.  Pancakes for breakfast?  What a concept!

And what a big deal that was, total excitement for my sister and me.  We would also be getting free entertainment because we knew we would be seeing Mum toss those pancakes up in the air as high as she could, more often than not deftly catching them again which brought loud praise and lots of clapping from us, her audience.  Of course there was the occasional miss and that brought squeals of laughter.  It didn't happen often as she was a pretty darned good pancake tosser, and I suspect she may have dropped one for effect and to make us enjoy the experience even more.  Our dog Skipper usually dived for the dropped one.  We all got our pancake, even furry family members.  

English pancakes are thin, like a crepe.  I can still remember us in the kitchen eating them and they were always sprinkled with lemon juice and sugar, an English tradition. Good memories!   If you click here you can see how those pancakes are made.

But I digress again.  Those memories keep interrupting my train of thought. So here I am, having lived in the States for all these years, and fixing a cobbler, for breakfast?  I still haven't entirely gotten over this novelty, perhaps because I still can't wrap my head around having dessert for breakfast.  After fixing this early one morning I am over it, sort of!



Breakfast Blueberry Breakfast Cobbler

Recipe was found here.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
Zest from 1 large lemon (optional)
7/8 cup sugar 
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 tablespoon raw sugar for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Grease a 9 inch square baking dish

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, lemon zest and sugar until light and fluffy.

Stir in the buttermilk.

Place the blueberries in a small bowl.

Place the 2 cups of flour in a medium bowl, and then remove 1/4 cup of the flour and add it to the blueberries in the small bowl. 

Toss together to coat the fruit.

Place the 2 cups of flour in the medium bowl, and then remove 1/4 cup of the flour and add it to the blueberries in the small bowl.  

Toss these together to coat the blueberries.  At this point you can also add an extra tablespoon of sugar along with the flour.

Add the baking powder and salt to the flour in the medium bowl and whisk to combine.

Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture.

Stir to combine.

The batter will be fairly stiff.

Spread 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan and then top that with the blueberries.

Using your fingers, place the rest of the batter on the top, doing your best to cover the blueberries but it's fine if you have any gaps. It doesn't have to be perfect.  I say this because mine had a lot of gaps and it didn't detract from the look or the taste.

Sprinkle the top of the batter with the raw sugar.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the top begins to brown ever so slightly.  You don't want to get it very brown. 

Let cool for a little before serving.

And what did we think of this dish?  Very yummy!

There were a couple of changes made, but first of all I put mine in for 50 minutes and it came out darker than I would have liked but it still tasted great.  The next one I make I will pay more attention towards the end of cooking time and start looking at the 40 minute mark.

I didn't have enough blueberries so I used half blueberries and half strawberries.  I have mixed berries before and knew this would make a nice combination. 

I also did not have any buttermilk, so used my two-percent milk.

I didn't have any raw sugar, something else to put on the list.  I used regular. 

27 comments:

William Kendall said...

I've had a dish very much like that. And we had pancakes regularly for dinner or breakfast when I was growing up- my mother made them thick.

Sara said...

It was so interesting hearing about your breakfasts in your growing up years in England. As far back as I can remember our choices were cold cereal with milk, oatmeal, bacon & eggs, pancakes (they were usually a treat but we had them several times a year), sometimes waffles, and a special treat was corn dodgers, a concoction made with cornmeal and fried crispy then split open and eaten with butter and syrup. Then later in the 70s it was often yogurt and fruit and bran muffins perhaps.

Stephanie said...

I have made this for dessert in the summer time with a dollop of whipped cream. Your images look delicious!

eileeninmd said...

Cobbler for breakfast, why not! Sounds and looks delicious, Denise! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Enjoy your new week ahead!

Kerri Farley said...

Oh Yum! and thanks for the info on Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Day.
Growing up - we had cornbread with almost every meal. My mom made it in a big cast iron skillet. Thank you for bringing back that wonderful memory :)

Jeanne said...

Seems so many have their own version of pig out the Tuesday before lent. Shrove Tuesday is a new one to me. I remember Paczki day. That big fried pastry filled with custard and covered with chocolate!!

Cloudia said...

Your header is wonderful, and your recipe ALLURING!



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Michelle said...

A wonderful memory about childhood pancakes :)

Jane and Chris said...

Pudding for breakfast? I love that idea!
I was surprised the first time I had pancakes here, I was expecting the English pancake, and on my plate was a perfectly round pouffed up thing!
Jane x

Dan the Mountain Man said...

Thanks for sharing the pancake story and the cobbler. I am so hungry now.

Red said...

I love pancakes for supper!(evening meal)My wife is English so we get cobbler once in a long while.

Ginny said...

It looks wonderful! Isn't it something that food from long ago is remembered forever? I can still smell my grandmother's clover leaf rolls. I read somewhere that smell is the longest lasting of all the senses.

Margaret Adamson said...

Great memories. Now I am VERY hungry!

Cezar and Léia said...

What a great idea for breakfast! I'm talking notes here. Thanks for the recipe!
Leia

Mike @ A Bit About Britain said...

Yeah - that looks wonderfully delicious, but something we'd (still) eat as a dessert in the UK. I think I'd like it with custard! My memories of breakfast are pretty much like yours. These days I think there is more yoghurt and fruit sloshing about and a cooked breakfast is reserved for the weekend (sometimes), if we have visitors or when we're away. Pancakes on Shrove Tuesday aren't such a big thing now, though it probably depends if there are kids around.

Stewart M said...

Nice post - what we eat today would amaze many of of our forebears.

My kids - who are both still at primary school - like to hear about the dozens of sorts of food they have eaten that I never even saw as a kid. Strange.


cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Valerie said...

Aaah good old English food. Thanks for the memory, Denise, you just took me back a few decades. We were sticklers for habits, weren't we?

Sandra said...

I love blueberry cobbler and my mother made cobblers of every kind of fruit she could get a hold of. but we never ate one for breakfast. but i would now. cobblers were desserts for dinner which we called supper back then, in the South we had breakfast, dinner and supper. i gave in when i married bob from the North and changed to lunch/dinner.. growing up we had pancakes thick not thin every Sunday, so did my hubby. we do that now about once every two months. we are all the same but different. thanks for sharing.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I'll take dessert for breakfast any time. My idea of dessert these days is chocolate milk [for breakfast that is]...but the blueberry cobbler looks scrumptious.

Oh, Denise, I so enjoyed reading about your childhood days in the UK...and your mother entertaining you with flipping the pancakes. I can just picture it.

[Bud loves cornbread...me, not so much]

From the Kitchen said...

I've always thought the English introduced us to the big breakfast!! I've never heard of cobbler for breakfast but why not? It looks delicious!

Best,
Bonnie

Veronica Roth said...

Oh gosh, that so reminds me of our village in Oxfordshire. Nothing too much changes. I love comparing those old photos to today's world.

Gattina said...

Isn't that a beautiful village ! I love them and then having tea with scones, what a dream !

gigihawaii said...

David makes us pancakes about once or twice a month. I like mine crispy around the edge and thick in the middle. Yummy!

Marie Flutterby said...

Sounds so gooooood! ツ

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Thanks for explaining about the Shrove Tuesday and pancakes. I always wondered about that! Your cobbler looks wonderful.

Debbie said...

it looks yummy and you are a good improvisior!!!

sallie (fulltime-Life.com) said...

LOved reading your memories (so many childhood memories are food-related, aren't they!) -- And I think you should ramble all you want ... you do it so beautifully.

The recipe looks wonderful -- and special. WE eat blueberries (on cereal or in a smoothy) almost every morning. My daughter grows them and now I'm so hooked on them that I buy good frozen ones when we're away from here. Hers are of course much better.