Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Finding Abraham Lincoln in London and a few more London Scenes

While in London we took a cab ride and the driver was a wealth of information.  We have heard about London Taxi Cab Drivers before.  They have to pass an amazingly difficult test called "The Knowledge" which you can read about here.   It takes anywhere from two to four years to learn 'The Knowledge". 


This is not the cab we took.  Ours was totally black but we were told that drivers will now have advertisements on their cabs to earn extra money.  We wondered about that as last time we were in England, we only saw the old-fashioned black taxi cabs which I loved, but these were fun to look at.


Our driver gave us a great tour and pointed out all the local landmarks.  Gregg was nearest to him and asked him lots of questions, which he was only too happy to answer.


One place he pointed out interested us particularly, and we saw it while driving through Parliament Square.  I couldn't get a decent photo but through the window you can see a statue of Abraham Lincoln created by Augustus Saint-Gaudens.  We were surprised and very happy to find him here.  It was presented to Great Britain by America in 1920 to mark 100 years of peace between the UK and the USA.  I have provided a link with information which you can see if you click on his name.


There was another statue intended for this spot but when Abraham Lincoln's son Robert (who became the Secretary of War) set eyes on his father's statue, he was not a happy man and it was his influence that had it replaced.  There was something about how he disliked the placement of hands.  That statue was instead sent to Manchester (England) which you can see here.  This site has a paragraph which is very interesting, all about how Manchester came to receive this particular statue of our 16th President.  


The statue in London was unveiled by the Duke of Connaught, after being accepted by David Lloyd George.  If anyone is interested in who these two people are, I have provided a link on their names.



I think I have waffled on enough but I do love how one simple photo can send a person on an interesting journey just by sitting in front of a laptop.  It is fascinating what you can find.  Always wise to check sources though.  I went through several sites so that I could put this post together.


Here are a few more sights taken while we were in London.
















30 comments:

  1. The taxi is so cute! And I love the red buses, especially the one where the window wraps around the back. Who would have ever thought that Abe would be in England! I have heard about how hard it is to be a cab driver there. I hope they get a bigger fare from their customers to make it worth while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantasic pics and thanks for sharing. I always enjoy photos of London as that is where my folks came from.
    Interesting about the statues of Lincoln and love those colourful taxi cabs.
    There are so many interesting facts you have given here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always interested to see the familiar as visitors to these shores see it. I've just clicked on the Manchester statue of Lincoln and have to agree with Lincoln's son - it's a very curiously proportioned statue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful post, Denise! I loved seeing all the photos of London, and learning about the two Abraham Lincoln statues. (We recently learned that through his Dad, our grandson is the great-great-great grand nephew of Abraham Lincoln! He was very excited about that!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great shots in this post, capturing the vibrancy that can be London. I think it's a shame the black cabs have virtually gone, but the newer ones do help make the place much more colourful - it used to be rather grey, I think. But London cabbies are superb - not only because of the knowledge but also because of their temperament. ALWAYS a safer bet than any other taxi option. Excellent research behind your post too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes London is a fascinating place with wonderful buildings and statues. Very interesting and informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first trip to London was for a long weekend. Since time was so short, I was told to take a "taxi tour". I did and had a great time with the driver. Very informative. That was 30 year's ago. I enjoyed your photos very much. I'm a native Virginian now living in the midwest.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of interest Denise.
    Unfortunately London seems like a foreign city to the rest of us that live outside now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh...Thanks so much! I dearly hope someday I will be able to visit England~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting post, and happy to see Abe in England. Thanks for the tour. The vehicles are really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you got to 'do' London, Denise and the pictures are fabulous. Were the taxi drivers foreigners in the Capital? Where I live we never see an English one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the building details are just amazing. wonderful shots, denise. and lincoln was a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got some great shots while you were in London. That's so interesting about the statues of Abraham Lincoln. There is so much to see in London...

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am so glad you included all the traffic pics.. the vehicles fasinate me and i want to ride on that pretty curved red bus. i like the shot looking out of you cab at the statue. i had no idea Abe was there at all.. i love the chair behind him... i do the same thing, start to look something up and two hours later i am lost in internet land.. finding things i never knew.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny, you and Georgia Girl with an English Heart have both been to England recently! I am enjoying catching up on both of your blogs and remembering my 2009 visit to the Green and Sceptered Isle. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am happy to see the newer double-decker red buses. I love London. rest photos. Where you using your iPad?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seems as though you missed English weather this trip!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a delightful tour; reminded me of so many wonderful things in London. I can hardly wait for a return visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Quite a lovely tour of the great city, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't lived in London for thirteen years now and I'm still amazed at the changes every time I go back. Great shots....I still wouldn't want to live there any more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good Morning Denise, it is lovely to meet you and thank you for your sweet words and for visiting my blog. . . I love company and it bought me here. Your blog is perfection. Your photos are wonderful. London, well, the UK in general is someplace that I have always yearned to visit. It probably will never happen but I love tagging along on blogging trips. There is so much of interest in this post . . . love the buses and that post for plugging in your electric auto, Fabulous! I do hope that you will visit again sometime and maybe even decide to follow me back. I have made so many delightful friends through blogging.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Keep your camera handy, you do great work.
    Your new blogging sister,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. All very interesting...I wish I had time to follow the links but just don't right now. maybe later.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wonderful images of London Denise. love the little electric green car.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful images of London. Cool shot of Lincoln. The double Decker bus is quite modern looking.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous post! Really a joy to ride along. I see Lambeth Bridge on a sign; makes me want to dance:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkS0lIysivQ




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>


    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting post. I like serendipity and you found it. I also like all the scenes of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoyed all pics up to your dessert. I took that too and commented.

    Nice blogs. Interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the stories ... and pictures. We were just reading a story about how London cab drivers have so much knowledge about maps and history and routes that scientists have actually found that certain areas of their brain have expanded.

    We decided we needed to go back to London and take cabs everywhere. We just rode public transportation.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I remember seeing that statue of Abraham Lincoln when I was in London, but that was years ago and I wasn't as computer-savvy as you are. Thanks for all the additional information.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You did a great job of getting different photos of London. I have to admit I hate having to go there with work, but as a holiday I'm sure it's great fun.

    ReplyDelete