Friday, October 17, 2014

CAMERA CRITTERS, SATURDAY'S CRITTERS AND BIRD D'POT

This delightful little bird is a Pied Wagtail.  I saw him when we were visiting Torquay last summer.  We were having a drink and a snack near the Living Coasts Zoo and Sea Life Aquarium, and our little friend here was hopping around near our table.  (I hope to visit the aquarium the next time we visit, but we didn't have the time on this particular day. If you would like to take a look at their site you can click on the link above.)


Latin name: Motacilla alba and you can find more information here.


In the UK you will be able to see the Pied Wagtail all year round.  The best place to look for them is near water, in most habitats and even town centers where they like to congregate on roofs.  They will gather in their hundreds to roost in wintertime. They like to eat insects but appeared to me to be scrounging for tidbits from anyone who dropped a crumb of food.  Opportunistic, happy little campers!  This little one never stayed in one spot, running almost at a blur as I tried to focus on him. However, I was very happy to be able to take a few shots as I wanted to share him for today's post. 



I am also sharing a couple of maps to give you an idea of where the Aquarium is located.  I worked in Torquay (phonetically pronounced Torkee) for several years before moving to the USA in 1975.






Many thanks to Misty, Eileen and Anni for bringing these fun memes to us every Saturday.

26 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

really cute bird. :)

Gail Dixon said...

This is a beautiful bird! Awesome photos, Denise. I wish this species would make their way over here.

Linda Kay said...

Thanks for sharing this very unusual bird...I've never seen one before.

Margaret Adamson said...

Yes always a very friendly little bird that allows you to get quite close to it. Great shots. Have a great weekend.

Jocee said...

What a little beauty. I love the last shot of him/her. :)

eileeninmd said...

It is a beautiful bird, I love it markings and colors.. Great shots and post, Denise. Thank you for sharing your post with my critter party.. Have a happy weekend!

Frank said...

Lovely shots of this cheeky little species.

Cranberry Morning said...

Beautiful little bird, and I LOVE it that you included a map. I'm a map person, if you know what I mean. :-)

Marit Helene Gåsland said...

So nice, it has traveled southwards here now for the winter is not far away.
Nice pictures and cozy revisited wagtail.
Good weekend Marit of Norway.

Marie Flutterby said...

Omgoodness he's a cutey pie! ♥

Sandra said...

he is adorable and looks like he might be first cousin to a penguin...

Sandra said...

checked out the link, would love to see all of that. i love the otters

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful bird photos ~ loved the expression in one of the shots!

Happy Weekend to you!

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

sandyland said...

fascinating bird!!

Terri said...

Oh he's a cute one! Great shots!

William Kendall said...

An inquisitive little thing!

Pat said...

Cute little bird with lots of personality!

Gunilla Bäck said...

Wonderful shots of the wagtail! They're cute little birds.

Stephanie said...

cute bird!

Michelle said...

Quite a distinguished little bird.

Marie said...

The pied wagtail is VERY cute! Great pictures! Thanks for the maps, too. If I ever get to Britain I will try to visit that area. I wanted to tell you that I appreciated you telling me about seeing the little boy on the D-day anniversary. If you told me before, please forgive me for not remembering. I really didn't think you had mentioned seeing him. So glad you did!

sallie (fulltime-Life.com) said...

He looks so quizzical in the second photo, like he's wondering what you're doing. What a sweet bird.

NatureFootstep said...

love the wagtail. They are about to leave now to go south but still a few remains.

Anni said...

Thank you ever so much for sharing the link to your bird post at I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend!!

This is one gorgeous bird. I would love to see one in real time. Great post and very informative Denise.

Sara said...

He's very cute indeed. Thanks for the alert to your England posts. I'm exploring them now.

Christa atCedarmereFarm said...

That's a very pretty bird. I am glad you were able to take some pictures.