Friday, October 24, 2014

CAMERA CRITTERS AND SATURDAY'S CRITTERS


Up until I was 25 I had been visiting the ponies on Dartmoor since I was eight years' old.  At first it was a couple of times a year when on holiday, and then at 15 years of age we moved down to South Devon permanently.  At every opportunity I would head for the Moors, about as long a drive from our home as it is for me to the Shenandoah's right now, maybe not even that.  When I lived with my parents my bedroom window look out on the village in the valley below, with the church where Gregg and I would eventually marry at its heart.  Beyond the village I could see the Moors in the distance. At the first opportunity I would get in the car and it wasn't long before I found myself among those wonderful ponies.  I could sit for hours observing them and felt very much at home in their presence.  They certainly didn't mind me. 




I loved the wildness of the Moors, and I loved the ponies and visited often.  After a 20 year absence I was able to see them again.  That old feeling of love for Dartmoor and for these beautiful animals came rushing back, as if I hadn't been gone for long at all, and I couldn't stop taking photos.




You can learn more of Dartmoor and its Ponies here.



A while ago I started visiting two blogs from my part of the world.  The first one I discovered was Em of Dartmoor Ramblings.  She actually lives on Dartmoor and takes wonderful photos of living life on the Moors, including these beautiful ponies.  Through her I discovered SeagullSuzie whose blog is Beautiful Brixham. Brixham is another place I know very well.   Both of them take me home virtually whenever I want.  They have great posts and their photos are always a joy to see.




























~~~~~~~

I am joining Misty's Camera Critters and Eileen's Saturday's Critters.  You can find their buttons on my side-bar.  Thank you for hosting ladies.

38 comments:

Sandra said...

you can now consider the cockles of my heart to be warmed and warmed again as i looked at all of these twice each. i would love to see the ponies and the moors... awesome photos. i love the one of the blurred pony with the sharp tree in front. that black horse is magnificent. super post in my book

Linda Kay said...

Such beautiful animals, and the colt is so cute. I always wanted a horse when I was young, but my dad, who farmed with horses, would not approve.

Gail Dixon said...

The are absolutely adorable. Each and every one!

TexWisGirl said...

so incredibly beautiful!!!

Country Gal said...

Awesome photos ! I love the Dartmoor ponies . Heck I love all horses lol ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good weekend !

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

I was going to ask what's the difference between a horse and a pony, then noticed how much sturdier the ponies look, with different proportions. They are so beautiful!

Stephanie said...

Oh my, these images are splendid!

Marie said...

Oh, what amazingly beautiful ponies! I LOVED seeing them and reading about them! Since the Bronze Age...they need every protection that can be afforded them. How wonderful to get to wander on the moors also. makes me think of Wuthering Heights!

Brian King said...

What beautiful horses! These are really nice shots!

Debbie said...

omgoodness, I have lost myself in their beauty and sweetness. What wonderful images Denise, have a wonderful weekend!!

William Kendall said...

They are beautiful animals!

Arija said...

Wonderful to see that they have such a lovely permanent home.
Denise, I noticed on Today's Flowers that you have Manuel scheduled for today!

Cloudia said...

Fabulous pics that really show these amazing creatures. How sweet to know them, and YOU, better!




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Adam said...

cute ponies

Karen said...

What gorgeous critters!

sallie (fulltime-Life.com) said...

Oh the ponies are so sweet and I am off to learn more of them as soon as I post this comment. (Was afraid I'd forget to come back otherwise.) Isn't blogging wonderful --- getting to visit your old haunts virtually any time has to be just wonderful. But also even better that you got to see this magical place again 'for real."

NatureFootstep said...

great shots of the horses. Loved to see the little one.

Mine is here welcome: http://nftravel.blogspot.se/2014/10/140910-queensland-more-of-atherton.html

Margaret Adamson said...

Your link from Beautiful Brixham goes to Dartmoor Ramblings. All the shots of the horses on the Moors are amazing. These animals are so beautiful and look very healthy. Have a great weekend.

jezikalt said...

So cute. Such amazing photos and so interesting to see them in such a wild and exposed placed. In New Zealand we have wild horses, the Kiamanawa ponies, but they are incredibly hard to find. So jealous your's seem so much easier to see.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Denise, Wonderful post on the horses on Dartmoor.. They are beautiful and the ponies are so cute. Awesome photos..I will visit your friend's blogs. Thank you for linking up, have a happy weekend!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

You are lucky to have such a place to visit, it must be wonderful to see the ponies in person.

EG CameraGirl said...

It's obvious in your photos that you love the ponies!

Karen S. said...

Fun, fun, FUN! Pretty horses!

Pat said...

A wonderful series, lovingly photographed. The ponies are beautiful.

Marie Flutterby said...

Absolutely outstanding and beautiful photo shots,that foal shot is just way to adorable. ♥

Thanks so much for sharing my friend! =0)

Gunilla Bäck said...

Awesome photos of these gorgeous animals.

Mascha said...

What a lovely photoseries!

Here is my "Stretchlion" about what i wrote:
http://maschas-buch.blogspot.de/2014/10/stretch-lion.html

Ela said...

What gorgeous horses ! Great photos !

Janie said...

The ponies are beautiful, and I was fascinated by the history link.

Jidhu Jose said...

nice clicks

SeagullSuzie said...

The ponies are great, in fact I love seeing all the animals living free on the moors. Thank you for the mention-I'm glad to hear between me and Em you are getting a look again at an area you love.

carol l mckenna said...

Gorgeous photography of beautiful ponies!

Happy Week ahead for you >
artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Linda W. said...

Beautiful horses. You got some great photos of them!

Jen said...

I had to follow the link to learn more about these beautiful ponies. What a life! Nice to see they control the population by allowing each owner to graze a certain number. Seems to be a good system.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Your horses are beautiful. I learned something new today, thanks to you.

Hannah said...

What a beautiful place to observe wild horses. I like the blond horse and the colt the best. It's great you found some blogs that let you visit more.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

What a beautiful place & ponies...how nice that you were able to return! I will visit those other links as well :)

Kathie Brown said...

Denise, I love, love, love these photos! wish I could have been there with you to see them! No wonder they call you back! I had no idea you had a connection with these magnificent creatures and such a wild place! I would love to see the wild moors!