Monday, September 1, 2014

Food post - Strawberry Cocounut Popsicles


I have rediscovered how much I love Popsicles and decided to make the home made ones, which are super easy to do.  This one sounded so good, it came from Stephanie over at "eat.drink.love" and you can see it at this link.  

Strawberry Coconut Popsicles

Makes 6

2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced

2 tablespoons honey
1-1/2 cups full fat coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Add strawberries and honey to a small saucepan.  Heat over medium heat and simmer until the strawberries are soft.  


Remove from heat and use a form or a potato masher to break down the strawberries.  Cool to room temperature. 


In a bowl stir together the coconut milk and vanilla extract.  Spoon some of the coconut milk into each popsicle mold, followed by a scoop of the strawberry mixture, followed by more of the coconut milk.  Continue until all molds are filled.


Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight.  


Nutritional value:


Service size 1 Popsicle

Calories: 58
Fat: 1.5 g
Carbs: 11.5 g
Sugars: 10 g
Protein: 0.6g



What did we think?  It is a definite favorite now and was a very tasty, frozen treat.  We didn't find them overly sweet which suited our taste.  If you want them sweeter you can always add more honey. For us it was fine as is.


I ran hot water over the outside of the mold for a few seconds to loosen them.  If they didn't come out relatively easy after the first hot water wash, I repeated the process until they popped out.  


The number of popsicles you get will depend on the size of mold you have.  The molds I used were like these.  I also have another shape below which look like the molds here.  




If you don't want to buy the molds, you can use a small paper cup. After you have filled the cup with the mixture, slip aluminum foil over the top of each one and cut a small slit in the top just big enough to slip a wooden Popsicle stick into the hole.  This will allow it to stand up straight while freezing.  (I have even seen sturdy straws used but have never tested those or the aluminum foil method.) 

I mashed the strawberries with a fork instead of using what was suggested.


I didn't want to fiddle too much and instead of pouring the strawberry and coconut mixtures separately, I mixed everything together and poured it into the mold in one go.  They all seemed to get a nice mixture of strawberry throughout.


From my photo you can see I didn't put enough mixture in to go down all the way to the base of the handle.  No big deal but if you like things corner to corner like I do, I will add a little more next time.


We both thought these were very tasty, and refreshing on a hot day. I will be making them again.

21 comments:

  1. Looks like a good treat to have. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are so healthy that I could eat three or four and it would count as dinner! And they are very pretty to look at, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS! Good for you




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do sound delicious. What a great idea. I have so mach strawberry jam I think I'll just make them with that. Love that they are made with coconut milk instead of custard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you mentioned the paper cup... I wouldn't buy moulds in case we didn't like them! That said, I'm definitely going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been making popsicles all summer and will try this recipe minus the honey...I am finding the fruit is so sweet I don't need any added sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the strawberry coconut mixture. I will try these for my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy and refreshing for a hot summer (or is it fall) day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the look delish to me.. i love all things strawberry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I'm lazy, I will have to visit you to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good combination. I've been having a good deal of popsicles over the summer; I've had a sore throat for weeks on end, and the popsicles seem to help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM---looks delicious, especially when it's hot outside like it was today... I have always loved popsicles but now these 'fancier' ones are even better... Thanks for the recipe.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look like wonderfully cooling treats, Denise. We have been buying a lot of seedless watermelons and enjoying a chilled bowlful on these warm summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a wonderful idea! We buy some fruit pops like this but I'd rather make them from organic strawberries, etc....control the ingredients! Thanks! Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so hot right now that a popsicle would really be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete