Monday, September 8, 2014

Food Post - Antipasto Salad


I haven't fixed Antipasto in a long time.  When I came across this recipe I wanted a change from the usual salad and it fit the bill. I found it at "cook eat paleo".  You can find that recipe here.

Antipasto Salad - serves two to four

1 large head or 2 hearts of romaine, chopped
4 ounces prosciutto, cut into strips
4 ounces salami or pepperoni, cubed
1/2 cup artichoke hearts, sliced
1/2 cup olives, a mix of black and green
1/2 cup hot or sweet peppers, pickled or roasted
Italian Dressing to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss with Italian dressing.

Italian Dressing can be seen here:

Makes about 1 cup of dressing

1 tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs (Italian flat leaf parsley was the host's choice)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 clove garlic, minced with a garlic press
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil

Add all the ingredients to a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well until combined.

Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your own taste.




What did we think of our salad?   A keeper!

The green olives I used were stuffed with garlic (a favorite snack of mine so there is always a jar in the fridge).

I added an avocado simply because there was one left and it needed to be used, and we love avocados.  

Instead of the prosciutto, sliced ham.

I used marinated artichokes, not plain.  There was enough oil from these that I didn't need any more dressing.  I have never liked a lot of dressing on my salads and Gregg instead of the Italian Dressing wanted to use Blue Cheese, so I didn't make the dressing above, not this time round anyhow.

It is hard to tell by the photo but I also have halved cherry tomatoes in the mix.

On top of the salad I sprinkled a little blue cheese.

I changed this around to suit our own tastes but also to use other ingredients in the fridge while they were fresh.  Consequently it probably was not a proper Antipasto salad like above.

We did in fact enjoy our our semi-Italian Salad with an English beer and a nice French background thanks to the Parisienne-style place mats on the kitchen table, bought a while back.   

Since we ate this the first time we have had it again using more ingredients suggested in the original recipe.  It makes a very enjoyable dinner and it is a keeper.

19 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Yummo. My vegie self would skip the meat, but the principle looks delightful.

diane b said...

Mmmmmm looks delicious for a summer meal.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Denise I love how you added all sorts of different things like avocados to an antipasto. Whatever you like is really perfect.

Cranberry Morning said...

That does look delicious, and I think I have all the ingredients on hand. Sounds like dinner tonight!

Sandra said...

I am all about photography and these photos are AMAZING, i can almost smell that salad... the first one with the place mats had me wondering where you were eating your salad... sounds yummmy

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

Looks good Denise. I used our last avocado yesterday. We like prosciutto and blue cheese.

Janey and Co. said...

Oh my this looks delicious!

William Kendall said...

All the ingredients appeal to me, so I'm sure I'd like it, though I'd go for sweet peppers instead of hot.

Stephanie said...

It looks good. Great photos!

gigihawaii said...

That sounds great. I like your alternative ideas as well.

Ginny said...

Wow, it looks like something in a fancy restaurant!! And I know it would taste just as good too. We have not been able to get good lettuce all summer, that is so frustrating! It has never happened before.

annieelf2012 said...

What a delicious meal for a hot, late summer evening.

Tanya Breese said...

oh yummy!! and i love the way you photographed it! what's the background, a table cloth, i'm perplexed!

Linda Kay said...

It's fun to mix lots of things for a salad. I love to make a chicken salad with mayo, then plop some on top of a regular lettuce salad, add some avocado and a bit of raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Yummy.

Karen S. said...

Oh my, you make my mouth water! Delicious idea.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We eat a lot of salad greens here and are always looking for new ways to enjoy. Avocadoes are always on hand as well althoigh we would need to find some of the meats listed, so ours would be more a vegetarian type antipasto as well. Thanks for the info, Denise.

Debbie said...

this would only serve two in my house, looks and sounds yummy. thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Yummy -- we are hungry for a 'many-ingredient' salad -- They were hard to do in Alaska.

Kay said...

Oh gosh! This looks so scrumptious! I feel like eating a salad. Going to the market tomorrow. I'll have to stock up!